Play Book Tag discussion

February 2016: World War II > All the Light We Cannot See / Anthony Doerr - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 429 comments I'm not going to bother giving an overview of the actual content of the book. I think it has been reviewed enough here at PBT, and throughout this month, that an overview is not necessary. I do want to start out by saying that if you have no yet picked this up, go out and buy yourself a copy. If you're anything like me, once you've read it, you'll want to have it lying around the house so you can pick it up and revisit it. It's a beautifully told story.

I've spent all month reading this. Even though it could have been a quick read, I'm glad I took my time with it. I needed that extra time to absorb the beautiful prose, to let the story line sink in rather than rushing it.

I particularly loved the format of this book. I liked the two time lines, I felt they kept up the pace of the book. Though I liked both time lines, I did find myself reading through the 'bombing' timeline much quicker. The brilliance of the two timelines really comes in to play at the end of the story, as the two began to intersect and the storyline comes to a crescendo.

I also really liked that each chapter read like a short story. Each generally ending with an implied deeper meaning, exploring the emotions of the characters or foreshadowing what would come next. Doerr successfully imbued the story with an underlining emotion without addressing it directly. To me, that was the true brilliance of this book.

I'm looking forward to reading more by this author.

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I'm so glad you loved it. It was one of my number one picks of last year.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5790 comments We may not choose a "group read" in this group but if we had, I suspect this would be have been it for February.