Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Redshirts
This topic is about Redshirts
Buddy Reads > Buddy Read - Redshirts by John Scalzi

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roger, Knight Radiant (last edited Feb 26, 2016 05:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Roger | 1998 comments Mod
This is the thread for the buddy read of Redshirts by John Scalzi, please use spoiler tags during the discussion.

Enjoy

message 2: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
I'm hoping to join in if I can grab a copy!

message 3: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Two great buddy reads this month I'll try decide where to start.

message 4: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rinn wrote: "I'm hoping to join in if I can grab a copy!"

Swung into my library on Friday and they had one sitting on the shelf, now it's sitting on my shelf :)

Ryan I started yesterday. Loved the prologue.

Jessica | 427 comments I started this today!

message 7: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
I had staetes this book until about halfway but had to return it because of moving. Will try to find a copy to join in

Jilly | 10 comments Exciting! I just checked it out and can't wait to start!

message 9: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I'll start the LOTR buddy read first but then I'll jump in to this.

message 10: by Sarah (last edited Feb 29, 2016 12:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 641 comments May take me a couple days to get started (want to get a jump on the Fellowship buddy read since that's a slow going one for me), but I'm in!

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments I really loved the way the story as told and the characters. I appreciate when something is not done in the traditional method of story telling or what has become the norm in telling a story. I want to check out his Old Mans War books next.

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments I hope to jump in on this too though it will take me a few days to get to it.

message 13: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2804 comments Mod
This looks too fun to pass up. I am breaking my resolution to read only owned books for now instead of raiding the library.

message 14: by Vera (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vera M. I have it on hold at the library. Will jump in when I can get it.

Margo Ryan wrote: "I started yesterday. Loved the prologue."

Ryan totally agree. Prologue LOL funny.

message 16: by Nico (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nico Man (nicnik) I will start this in the next few days.

message 17: by Ryan (last edited Mar 09, 2016 03:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan So I finished it. It's quite an interesting book. The repetitive humour started to wear thin shortly after the prologue but it still had its moments. I've hidden the spoilers in my review.

Anyone else forging ahead with this? And is it possible to edit the thread so that it directly references the book and our ratings come up next to our name?

message 18: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I've linked it to the book Ryan,
I will be starting the book in the next two days. My copy went awol so had to pick up another

message 19: by Ryan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ryan I look forward to your views Paul.

message 20: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I'll gladly give them ;-)

Margo Ryan wrote: "So I finished it. It's quite an interesting book. The repetitive humour started to wear thin shortly after the prologue but it still had its moments. I've hidden the spoilers in my review.

Anyone ..."

I finished it yesterday, my rating was 4*. Sci-fi is not my genre of choice but I was very taken with some of the ideas in this book.

(view spoiler)

message 22: by Kirsten (new) - added it

Kirsten (ringwraith10) | 60 comments I know I'm a little late, but I'm interested in joining this discussion. :) I need to finish the book I am currently reading, but I have actually already checked out Redshirts with plans to read it soon, so it may as well be my next read! :)

Fernando Barone (barone) I loved it. It was my first Scalzi book, can't wait to read Lock In next.

Margo Fernando wrote: "I loved it. It was my first Scalzi book, can't wait to read Lock In next."

My first Scalzi too :-D

message 25: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I first tried Scalzi because of a monthly read here. We really have a dangerous impact on reading piles

Jessica | 427 comments I finished this last night, and I'm giving it 4 stars. I really enjoyed the whole thing. At first the Codas were a bit odd, but I really liked the way they tied everything together. This was my first Scalzi book, and I think I will move on to Old Mans War next.

Sarah | 641 comments Ryan wrote: "I started yesterday. Loved the prologue."

Margo wrote: "Ryan wrote: "I started yesterday. Loved the prologue."

Ryan totally agree. Prologue LOL funny."

Seriously, I had to bite my lip not to laugh out loud at the prologue. The downside of listening to an audiobook at work. I can't actually react to what I'm hearing.

message 28: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chakara wrote: "I really loved the way the story as told and the characters. I appreciate when something is not done in the traditional method of story telling or what has become the norm in telling a story. I wan..."

I enjoyed that book as well, only other book I've read from him is Lock In and I enjoyed that as well. I'm going to have to pick up some more of his books.

Ryan wrote: "I started yesterday. Loved the prologue."

Haha yeah, that was good, made me chuckle

I agree that it got a little weird with the time travel and the weird science but that definitely was a nice poke at the bad science in the original.

:)

message 29: by ash (new) - added it

ash (novellyrooted) | 12 comments I just finished. I really enjoyed it. Many parts required me to sit and think- very meta. Oh and what's with everyone tripping? haha

message 30: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Half way in. Lots of fun and a few thinkers in there. I don't think its a patch on the Old Mans War series though.

message 31: by Nico (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nico Man (nicnik) just started. Very enjoyable so far.

message 32: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just started it this weekend and got to about page 75. It's been cracking me up.

At the beginning, page 25 where he meets Finn, who was feeding semi-legal fungus to his XO, was that a reference to "Serenity?"

message 33: by Nico (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nico Man (nicnik) Just finished, enjoyed it very much. Surprised at the below 4 score though!

message 34: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
Finished today as well. Very interesting book, great thought into the cause and effect and some of the meta stuff at the end was genius.
The low mark might be down to the fact the Scalzi is a divisive figure in the SciFi world with groups like the sad puppies seeing him as all that is wrong in scifi preferring the old school stuff and none of the newer liberal stuff that looks at things like gender and equality and all that.

Sarah | 641 comments Kerensky on shore leave is hilarious.
I really need to stop listening to this one at work. I'm going to give myself a bloody lip biting it so hard to stop from laughing out loud.

message 36: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finally finished it last night. I loved the dialogue and Kerensky in love with himself.

Andy Dahl has the same initials as Arthur Dent. Coincidence?

Sarah | 641 comments Audrey wrote: "I finally finished it last night. I loved the dialogue and Kerensky in love with himself.

Andy Dahl has the same initials as Arthur Dent. Coincidence?"

Now that you mention it, that could well have been intentional!

Just finished this. I enjoyed it for the most part but was kind of "meh" about the codas. I would have liked more of the main story.

Margo Sarah wrote: "Audrey wrote: "I finally finished it last night. I loved the dialogue and Kerensky in love with himself.

Andy Dahl has the same initials as Arthur Dent. Coincidence?"

Now that you mention it, tha..."

I didn't think much of the final one, but loved the first two.