Support for Indie Authors discussion

Author Resources-No New Posts > Calling on Europeans: Need some advice. Did I pick an unfortunate name?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elí (new)

Elí Freysson (eli_freysson) I'm writing a space opera serial, set in a grand space monarchy called The Realm of the Golden Dawn.

The name comes from the realm being founded and bringing stability after a long period of regression, brutality and darkness.

The problem is, I just realized "Golden Dawn" is the name of that Greek Neo-Nazi party.

Ahem.

I'm in Iceland. Are Greek Nazis in the public consciousness enough that they'll make this connection. I really want to keep the name, but I also don't want a Nazi connection.

message 2: by Rachael (new)

Rachael Eyre (rachaeleyre) | 194 comments I don't know about other nationalities but a Brit would definitely make that connection. If they're meant to be corrupt or secretly evil, go ahead, but if they're good it might need a rethink.

message 3: by Elí (new)

Elí Freysson (eli_freysson) Damn Nazis. First they ruin the swastika, then a perfectly good title.

message 4: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Elí wrote: "I'm writing a space opera serial, set in a grand space monarchy called The Realm of the Golden Dawn.

The name comes from the realm being founded and bringing stability after a long period of regre..."

The key point, if I read your post correctly, is that you have not published. So, no big deal. Shrug your shoulders. Change the name and Google it!
Same thing happened to me, "Europa Robotics" changed to "Enorpa Robotics" and I didn't have a nazi overtone!

message 5: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Abbo (abbobooks) | 32 comments Elí wrote: "Damn Nazis. First they ruin the swastika, then a perfectly good title."

Lol, couldn't agree more...

message 6: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Elí wrote: "Damn Nazis. First they ruin the swastika, then a perfectly good title."

Yes, some are trying to "reclaim" the swastika as an ancient symbol, found in hindu and buddhist temples, and grecian buildings.

However, especially in Europe it will, perhaps forever, be a symbol of hate and evil.

message 7: by S. K. (new)

S. K. Pentecost | 6 comments Elí wrote: "The problem is, I just realized "Golden Dawn" is the name of that Greek Neo-Nazi party."

What about calling them the "Lightbringers." No possible negative connotations there.

message 8: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Abbo (abbobooks) | 32 comments Anthony wrote: "Elí wrote: "Damn Nazis. First they ruin the swastika, then a perfectly good title."

Yes, some are trying to "reclaim" the swastika as an ancient symbol, found in hindu and buddhist temples, and gr..."

I don't think I could ever connect swastika with anything else, like the majority of European it reminds us of horrible history.
Some probably think the same thing about "Golden down".

message 9: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Call it Aurora Aurea :)

message 10: by Kat (last edited Feb 26, 2016 04:13AM) (new)

Kat As a German I'm conscious of Neo-Nazi stuff, but I would not have made the connection.

Might just be me, though, I got tired of Greece in the news when they refused to pay us back our loans and stopped paying attention a while ago.

message 11: by Ben (new)

Ben Mariner As an American, I've never heard of Greek Nazis. But I don't pay that much attention to things. Either way, I think you'd be ok to keep it, but if someone reads the book, makes the connection, and says something about it in the review they leave that could be a problem.

I've found that if you're questioning it, it's probably just best to not take the risk and change it.

Sorry, man. Love the name actually other than the Nazi link.

message 12: by Elí (new)

Elí Freysson (eli_freysson) Anthony wrote: "
Yes, some are trying to "reclaim" the swastika as an ancient symbol, found in hindu and buddhist temples, and grecian buildings.

However, especially in Europe it will, perhaps forever, be a symbol of hate and evil.
"

I guess we should be glad they didn't co-opt Christmas somehow.

message 13: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments Fill it with anti-nazi rhetoric and publish it anyway! :D

message 14: by Elí (new)

Elí Freysson (eli_freysson) Charles wrote: "Fill it with anti-nazi rhetoric and publish it anyway! :D"

I'm afraid the antagonists are a bunch of religious death cult fanatics, not fascists.

message 15: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments A correlation could be drawn!

message 16: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments @Eli: Fascist and nazi are two different things even if they have many similarities...

@Charles: To qualify as a supreme race, you have to die? :P

message 17: by Charles (last edited Feb 26, 2016 07:57AM) (new)

Charles | 148 comments I think, like it or not, if you use the name Golden Dawn, you will have a Nazi connection. If you don't want that, then you have to change the name. However, as Charles the Greater points out, you can use the correlation if, in fact your GD's are "a bunch of religious death cult fanatics," and if you do some minor rewrites and fill the book--early and often--with anti-Nazi rhetoric.
Good luck whichever way you decide to go,
Charles (the Lesser)

message 18: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments S. K. wrote: "Elí wrote: "The problem is, I just realized "Golden Dawn" is the name of that Greek Neo-Nazi party."

What about calling them the "Lightbringers." No possible negative connotations there."

Is this 'tongue in cheek?'

message 19: by S. K. (new)

S. K. Pentecost | 6 comments Anthony wrote: "Is this 'tongue in cheek?"

Yes. I'm sorry, it's my default communication mode. If I were to answer Eli's original post earnestly it would go something like this:

-Almost all terms can be associated with negativity if you dig back far enough. The fact that one of Satan's original name means light bringer is an example. As an U.S. citizen, I had no knowledge that there were Nazis out there calling themselves the Golden Dawn. I think Eli is right in associating that name with a death cult, because cult or communist student organization were the first two things I thought of upon reading the name.

But if Eli is writing for a European market, I would think European opinions on that particular name should outweigh mine.-

Do you see, Anthony, how much time I save by stuffing my tongue into my cheek?

message 20: by Elí (new)

Elí Freysson (eli_freysson) To clarify: The Realm of the Golden Dawn are the protagonists. And no, they're not evil.

The death cult is a separate entity.

message 21: by S. K. (new)

S. K. Pentecost | 6 comments Elí wrote: "To clarify: The Realm of the Golden Dawn are the protagonists. And no, they're not evil.

The death cult is a separate entity."

My apologies. If that is the case then I will shift my opinion over to the camp that suggests changing their name. The Realm of the Golden Dawn has vaguely sinister connotations to me, like it's a clever euphemism for something terrible.

message 22: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments Charles wrote: "I think, like it or not, if you use the name Golden Dawn, you will have a Nazi connection. If you don't want that, then you have to change the name. However, as Charles the Greater points out, you ..."

All Charleses are created equal!

message 23: by Reese (new)

Reese Hogan (reesehogan) | 47 comments Realm of the Golden Dawn reminds me of Children of the Light from Wheel of Time. So not a good association there, either...but as others have said, it's a good thing you noticed this before publishing. Things could be a lot worse.

message 24: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather (kp_merriweather) | 266 comments I thought golden dawn was associated with alister Crowley not Greek nazis. ooh learned something new y'all :3

message 25: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments S. K. wrote: "Anthony wrote: "Is this 'tongue in cheek?"

Yes. I'm sorry, it's my default communication mode. If I were to answer Eli's original post earnestly it would go something like this:

-Almost all terms..."

Lol. Yes, but not everyone is "enlightened!"

This said, even over here in Europe these connections are coming to light.

message 26: by Mimi (last edited Feb 28, 2016 10:42AM) (new)

Mimi Marten | 54 comments I think the 70th Anniversary last year brought a lot of Nazi back. I read 5 books about Second World War last year, just because they were bestsellers, not because it's my preferred genre...:-)