Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > Find edition with "default description"

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 21 comments When looking through the myriad of editions for Moby-Dick; or, The Whale, I saw that several of them use the "default description". However, this description seems to be for a very specific edition, as it talks about how that edition is unique because it contains "15 illustrations" and "short biography", etc. Obviously this description shouldn't be the default, because it only applies to a single edition.

Is there any way to find the edition that this default description originates from? It's obviously not the default edition itself (ie. the edition that has been shelved the most times), because that has another description.

message 2: by Michael (last edited Feb 25, 2016 03:19PM) (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments You can find an edition with generic description and mark it as default in the edit page ("set as default description"). That might sort the issue I guess?

message 3: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 21 comments I can do that, it just feels very drastic. I guess it's not very drastic, but in this case there are so many editions.

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 42440 comments Mod
Nonetheless, it's usually the best option, as long as you find a general enough description that it should apply to all or most of the editions with the default.

message 5: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Tobias wrote: "I can do that, it just feels very drastic. I guess it's not very drastic, but in this case there are so many editions."

The only editions affected by it, are the ones which have the (edition-specific) default description, which is wrong for most of them anyway.

(This is why I hate default descriptions, they cause more trouble than they're worth.)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 6662 comments You might be interested in lending your voice to this discussion in the Feedback Group.

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Tobias (new)

Tobias Langhoff (tobiasvl) | 21 comments Thanks, perfect!