Malaysian Reads discussion

General Discussion > any topic.... any topic at all

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments It's been so quiet here for quite a while. Where are you all?

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne F (ilaanne) | 86 comments In my own bubble reading lols

message 3: by Hajar Y, (new)

Hajar Y, (quillandkindle) | 126 comments Mod
I'm always active on Goodreads :D
Just not entirely sure what kind of topic to talk about here that might engage more participants. Any suggestions?

message 4: by Anne (new)

Anne F (ilaanne) | 86 comments I'm not that active on Goodreads but I do open it every few minutes like it's facebook lmao
Since it's "any topic" discussion, we can discuss anythingggg let's spazz awayyyy hahah

message 5: by Neenee (last edited Apr 30, 2014 02:43AM) (new)

Neenee | 95 comments Shy wrote: "I'm always active on Goodreads :D
Just not entirely sure what kind of topic to talk about here that might engage more participants. Any suggestions?"

I haven't had a clue. That's why with the new thread. I'm so bored

message 6: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments Ila wrote: "I'm not that active on Goodreads but I do open it every few minutes like it's facebook lmao
Since it's "any topic" discussion, we can discuss anythingggg let's spazz awayyyy hahah"

Yeah... not just about books

message 7: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments Just to start the 'ball' rolling... what are you planning to do tomorrow? I thought of going to d cinema. But there's not much interesting things on. Any idea to fill the holiday ? (apart from reading, of course lah)

message 8: by Anne (new)

Anne F (ilaanne) | 86 comments my ultimate plan for the long weekend is spending 4 days reading and nothing else im so excitedddd hahah unless of course suddenly got somebody wanna hang out or anything which I think I will reluctantly accept cos I rather read at home lmao i'm so screwed this way

uuuu go watch Spiderman2..it looks promising..my feminist side wanna watch The Other Woman but haven't got the chance to

message 9: by Hajar Y, (new)

I'm pretty much a homebody, so I would rather stay at home rather than facing crowds on holidays. You ladies read anything interesting at the moment?

message 10: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments little dorrit for my weekend. but it's going pretty slow. looking around my stash for other books. how about you two?

message 11: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments i dont like crowds too. but i was being cooped up inside for so long finishing up an assignment. i thought it's going to be a blast.

funnily until today i havent decided on anything . bummer

message 12: by Anne (last edited May 03, 2014 07:14AM) (new)

Anne F (ilaanne) | 86 comments loll hanging out inside with books is actually a pretty nice plan ;) I like going to the mall but yea I hate the crowds too.
I just finished Beautiful Darkness and moving on to Beautiful Chaos.
Wanted to go karaoke just now but nobody is free tskk so yerp I end up staying at home too lol

message 13: by Hajar Y, (new)

I've family event that I have to attend this weekend, so I don't think I can squeeze much time for reading. Totally not happy with that.

At the moment, I'm juggling between these three books, The Ink Bridge, Froi of the Exiles and A Game of Thrones. I know it's much better to read one book at one time, but I don't seem able to stop myself!

message 14: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments hope your weekend is going well, Ila n Shy. I ended up reading Cotillion. Finished it in one night and slept almost the whole day.

message 15: by Nicole (new)

Nicole N | 10 comments Goodreads was down last night, and I accidentally deleted ALL my ebooks collection and not able to recover a single one back T.T

message 16: by Hajar Y, (new)

Nicole wrote: "Goodreads was down last night, and I accidentally deleted ALL my ebooks collection and not able to recover a single one back T.T"

That sucks! How did it happen, exactly? You deleted the folder?

message 17: by Nicole (new)

Nicole N | 10 comments Shy wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Goodreads was down last night, and I accidentally deleted ALL my ebooks collection and not able to recover a single one back T.T"

That sucks! How did it happen, exactly? You deleted..."

I was updating my ebooks folder and clearing some old files, I think the cursor just 'slipped' and SHIFT + DEL too fast the whole folder was gone! I couldn't recover as the hardisk was not 'recover-enabled'. Oh well, I've been trying to calm myself down not to over-react about this, hoping to complete the start-over by this weekend. Now I feel empty not only did I not able to read this weekend but the whole collection was gone. :'(

message 18: by Hajar Y, (new)

Nicole wrote: "I was updating my ebooks folder and clearing some old files, I think the cursor just 'slipped' and SHIFT + DEL too fast the whole folder was gone!"

I wonder if you use Calibre to organise your ebooks? If you not, I think it's best to use it for your new collection. I faced the same problem as yours before but not anymore since using Calibre few years ago.

message 19: by Nicole (new)

Nicole N | 10 comments Nope, never heard or used Calibre before, will definitely start using this for better organization, thanks for the recommendation! =)

message 20: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments that's terrible. how many ebooks you had there? yes, calibre is dependable. i use it too but not because for that feature. i just want to read my ebooks from my pc. dropbox is good too. you can recover deleted files easily. but they give u only a limited space to store yor files.

message 21: by Nicole (new)

Nicole N | 10 comments I don't know the exact qty but it's sure alot! Most probably >1k the folder takes a few GBs, oh well, nothing much I could do but to move on T.T

I usually read ebooks thru ipad, looks like calibre only works on pc and macbook xD

message 22: by Hajar Y, (last edited May 04, 2014 04:34AM) (new)

I often read using Kindle or iPod and use Calibre mainly as one stop centre for ebook management and file transfer. You can directly transfer books to an ereader without any fuss but if you want to transfer the books from your Calibre to iPad/iPod, you'll need a plugin.

Calibre will make your life easier especially when you start owning thousands of ebooks in your hard drive. It also available in portable form where you can add the application to your external hard disk and manage your files from there.

Gosh, I do feel like Calibre's spoke person, lol! Seriously though, it's much easier to manage you ebooks when you can see what you're doing. It beats dealing with individual files that have endless string of filenames that will potentially made your eyes crossed before you're done with what you're doing.

message 23: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments Shy wrote: "I often read using Kindle or iPod and use Calibre mainly as one stop centre for ebook management and file transfer. You can directly transfer books to an ereader without any fuss but if you want to..."

I think you should ask for a commission from Calibre for promoting their product. Haha!

message 24: by Alison (new)

Alison (suicidemunchkin) | 21 comments You put your right foot in
You take your right foot out
You put your right foot in
And you shake it all about
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around
That's what it's all ab

message 25: by Anne (new)

Anne F (ilaanne) | 86 comments about

message 26: by Neenee (last edited May 06, 2014 07:22PM) (new)

Neenee | 95 comments description

message 27: by Alison (new)

Alison (suicidemunchkin) | 21 comments Hahaha....think i'm going to start a book on quotes..collection of interesting quotes online e.t.c...have 2 put my washi tapes in good use..

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole N | 10 comments I <3 washi tape! xD

message 29: by Anne (new)

Anne F (ilaanne) | 86 comments Show us when u're done!

message 30: by Meen (new)

Meen (goodreadscommeen) | 14 comments Hai everyone! Does anyone know any second hand bookstores where I can sell my books? I have like..so many novels and there's not enough space in my room :\

message 31: by Anne (new)

Anne F (ilaanne) | 86 comments Uuuu sorry I have no idea. But I know there's a few second hand book store at Central Market, KL. Not sure if they will buy books. And there's https://www.facebook.com/JUNK.bs

May I see the titles? :D

message 32: by Ruz (new)

Ruz (ruz_911) | 3 comments There is one in Ampang Point. Cant remember the name but if you can find the Korean stall next to Taiwan stall, it is just opp those stalls.

message 33: by Meen (new)

Meen (goodreadscommeen) | 14 comments Thank u Ila and Ruz, gonna check them out when I'm free :)
the titles, if you're interested.. hehee:
A Desirable Residence
The Wedding Girl
I Heart Vegas
I Heart Hollywood

message 34: by Alison (new)

Alison (suicidemunchkin) | 21 comments Meen wrote: "Thank u Ila and Ruz, gonna check them out when I'm free :)
the titles, if you're interested.. hehee:
A Desirable Residence
The Wedding Girl
I Heart Vegas..."

Our u can try selling it online..
There's this app you can download called Carousell, just snap a pic,quote ya price or COD..or just join preloved on FB..:}

message 35: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Jazman | 6 comments U can just create an instagram account and sell them online by posting the pictures.

message 36: by Anne (new)

Anne F (ilaanne) | 86 comments Creating new instagram account would need another level of marketing etc but you can try. ;)

I've never heard of Carousell before! It sounds interesting!

message 37: by Meen (new)

Meen (goodreadscommeen) | 14 comments My Instagram account is full of uninteresting photos of my life. lol XD

Anyway thanks for the suggestions guys! heard of Carousell before, somewhere in a magazine,can't remember.. There is also another place for second hand books- you can search Bookup, as suggested by a GR friend, Dil, thank u :)

message 38: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments I need to trim down my tbr books, I think I will try your suggestions.

I also see people try to sell their books at those car boot sales. Do you think it's worth the efforts to be in the sun on Sunday morning?

message 39: by Jbb Lim (new)

Jbb Lim (jbblkh) | 32 comments I personally would like to try the "KL Noir" series. Looks really interesting. Anyone has read it already? Any feedback?

message 40: by Mimi (new)

Mimi Jazman | 6 comments Neenee wrote: "I need to trim down my tbr books, I think I will try your suggestions.

I also see people try to sell their books at those car boot sales. Do you think it's worth the efforts to be in the sun on Su..."

not to me.. hehe.. but you still can give it a try and ell us the experience.. maybe it's going to be fabulous, who knows.. :)

message 41: by Jeyna (new)

Jeyna Grace (jeynagrace) | 2 comments I started a crowd-funding project for my novel, The Battle For Oz, on Inkshares.

It would mean a lot to me if you guys could check it out! Here's the link:
https://www.inkshares.com/projects/th...

Inkshares have also decided to donate 5USD to the project whenever a person backs my project for the next 10 days. If you donate 1USD, the project gets 6USD!

Please help me spread the word too. This might be my chance to finally seeing my work in bookstores worldwide!

From one Malaysian to another, thank you!

message 42: by Neenee (new)

Neenee | 95 comments Wow, this is so exciting! I will take a look at your website and spread the word.

All the best of luck for the book, Jeyna.

message 43: by Jeyna (new)

Jeyna Grace (jeynagrace) | 2 comments Neenee wrote: "Wow, this is so exciting! I will take a look at your website and spread the word.

All the best of luck for the book, Jeyna."

Thank you so much! I do hope to be the first Malaysian author to have gone global :)

message 44: by Ayana (new)

Ayana (ayanaahmad) | 16 comments Hey guys! GR with a few others has organized a National Readathon Day! It will be held on this saturday on noon - 4pm for four hours. Check this link out if any of you are interested! :) Have fun. National Readathon Day #timetoread

message 45: by Nur (new)

Nur Hafizah | 3 comments Hey people! I'm Hafizah. Quite new to Goodreads, actually. Just wanna ask if anyone has read the Clifton chronicles by Jeffrey Archer? If so, would you recommend the books?

message 46: by David (new)

David (aberrant80) | 11 comments I guess no one here has read those books seeing as no one replied :D

message 47: by Hajar Y, (last edited Mar 09, 2015 10:47PM) (new)

Nur wrote: "Just wanna ask if anyone has read the Clifton chronicles by Jeffrey Archer?"

I still haven't read the series that you mentioned. The only book by Archer that I've read so far is A Prisoner of Birth and it certainly gave me the urge to go through the rest of his bibliography. He is THAT good!

message 48: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Mohd-zain anyone here reads Alice Munro? which book is recommended as my first book by her? tq :)

message 49: by Yen (new)

Yen Lian | 43 comments Nur wrote: "Hey people! I'm Hafizah. Quite new to Goodreads, actually. Just wanna ask if anyone has read the Clifton chronicles by Jeffrey Archer? If so, would you recommend the books?"

Nope I haven't read any of his books yet. His Kane and Abel was really famous, I'd like to start with that first :)