Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting
This topic is about Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids
Language & Translation Issues > Question about merging books

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Irene (last edited Feb 25, 2016 12:38AM) (new) - added it

Irene (laeneal) | 3 comments Hi there, I am a new librarian and I just merged the Dutch version of "Peaceful parent, happy kids" with the original. Afterwards I saw that there was another book that sounded quite alike: Calm Parents, Happy Kids: The Secrets of Stress-free Parenting I checked on Amazon and found that this is the UK version of the book "Peaceful parents, happy kids". It says this:
"Calm Parents, Happy Kids is the UK version of Dr Laura Markham's hugely successful and ground-breaking book, Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids. Now adapted for UK audiences, this practical and inspiring book reveals a three step programme that will transform family life."

Should I merge these? Or is it a different book because of the UK adaptation? Thanks for helping!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calm-Parents-...

message 2: by Irene (new) - added it

Irene (laeneal) | 3 comments Never mind guys, I've found this on the website of the author:

"Are you in the UK, India, Australia or anywhere else served by Amazon.co.uk? The British publisher has renamed the book Calm Parents, Happy Siblings -- but it's the same book! Click here to order from Amazon.co.uk, or below to order the US version shipped free anywhere in the world from the Book Depository."

http://www.ahaparenting.com/peaceful-...

So I guess it's safe to merge them :)

message 3: by Koenraad (new)

Koenraad (koenraadkelemen) | 4834 comments Hi Irene,

Please note that 'combining' and 'merging' are different actions in Goodreads, with distinctive consequences.

'Combining' is aimed at gathering the reviews, ratings and shelvings of different editions of the same work so that someone looking at any of the editions will be able to see all the reviews that concern that work. Someone adding this work to her/his shelves will then be able to see all available editions of that book and thus pick the one he/she wants to use.

The intention of 'merging' on the other hand is to permanently delete an identical duplicate edition while shifting all its reviews, ratings and shelvings to the most popular of the editions that it is currently combined with.

This is also explained in the Librarian Manual under the title 'Combine versus merge'.

So the proper action here is to combine, not merge.

message 4: by Irene (new) - added it

Irene (laeneal) | 3 comments I'm sorry for the confusion. What I did was combining them. Thanks for clearing it up.