SNA Y8.01 (2015-2016) discussion

Assignment > Term 3 Week 7 (25 Feb 2016): Summary + Book Recommendation

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nurr (new)

Nurr Shahidna | 23 comments Mod
Please post your comment for this week's assignment below.

message 2: by Jade (new)

Jade | 9 comments The book i chose for this assignment is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. This book is about a girl named Elizabeth Bennet who was forced by her family to get 'close' with Mr.Bingley who was a new neighbor in their area. But during the time wherein she was approaching him, she finds herself being lured to Mr.Darcy ; a detached , aloof and cold man. Though his bitter personality, all the girl in town fancies him due to his handsome face, and well, his money. Even if there were many women throwing themselves on Mr.Darcy, he only had eyes for one girl - Elizabeth.

Would Elizabeth change Darcy for the better, or would he stay the same and cause trouble for the Bennet family ?Pride and Prejudice

message 3: by Neha (new)

Neha Shinde | 15 comments Forget to Remember Level 5 Upper-Intermediate with Audio CDs (3) by Alan Maley

The summary of this book can be written in a single sentence: two sisters struggle to come to terms with their mother's illness and its effect on their lives.

In other, longer words, two sisters, one poor and the other rich, deal with issues towards their sick mother Sarah, who has Alzheimer's. It is a irreversible, progressive brain disorder that gradually destroys the memory and thinking skills, and eventually the ability to carry out the simplest tasks. The entire book is fundamentally about a family trying to survive the intolerable levels of hardship their mother has given to them. To make the situation worse, the siblings come from two different worlds and argue like cats and dogs. Jan, one of the two sisters is an unwealthy, divorced, retired mother with a daughter named Cindy. On the other hand, Kate is a rich, successful lawyer married to an alcoholic man with a great business and two kids.

This book can be interesting or boring depending on the reader. It is dedicated to the author's mother who had the similar disease. As a reader who barely reads about human interest, I got tired of the book a few times. Therefore, I don't recommend the short novel. Cool title, though.

message 4: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 13 comments My book is Jane Eyre,
Jane Eyre, an orphan, lives with her abusive aunt, Sarah Reed, and her mean-spirited cousins, John, Eliza, and Georgiana, at Gateshead Hall.

She is sent away to the Lowood School where the conditions are very harsh. Jane befriends a fellow student, Helen Burns, and Miss Temple, a teacher. When Helen Burns dies, and Miss Temple marries, Jane decides to leave Lowood, and secures a job as a governess at Thornfield.

At Thornfield, Jane’s duties are to teach the master’s foster child Adele Varens. Although he has a brusque manner, Jane finds the master, Edward Fairfax Rochester, attractive and fascinating.

One night Jane is awakened by strange noises. Seeing smoke coming from Mr. Rochester’s room, she runs in and throws water on the fire, awakening him. He leads Jane to believe that it is Grace Poole, a servant, who caused the damage.

message 5: by David (new)

David Wirawan | 44 comments The book I choose is Emergency Murder. The story is about a woman called Maxine Cassidy. Maxine is an an ER doctor and a former researcher. The story is about that she 'had to' solve the case about a dead woman. In the beginning, a woman who is the wife of her friend died in her ER. After an autopsy, it was found out that she died because of a posion called tetrodoxin, and it can only be found at her lab.
In this story, there are a lot of characters and many things happening.However, the story is clear. In my opinion, Emergency Murder is a good story and I recommend it to everybody.

message 6: by David (new)

David Wirawan | 44 comments The book I choose is Emergency Murder. The story is about a woman called Maxine Cassidy. Maxine is an an ER doctor and a former researcher. The story is about that she 'had to' solve the case about a dead woman. In the beginning, a woman who is the wife of her friend died in her ER. After an autopsy, it was found out that she died because of a posion called tetrodoxin, and it can only be found at her lab.
In this story, there are a lot of characters and many things happening.However, the story is clear. In my opinion, Emergency Murder is a good story and I recommend it to everybody.

message 7: by David (new)

message 8: by David (new)

Cliffordchindrawa | 3 comments My book is called murder by art this book is about a woman named dr Maxine Cassidy that as has been working for hours in the er room suddenly three people came two were shot and one died from poisoning after that incident she went to an art show and saw an artist got killed by his own sculpture until then her crush grabowski a police men has been investigating about the murder

Cliffordchindrawa | 3 comments My book is called murder by art this book is about a woman named dr Maxine Cassidy that as has been working for hours in the er room suddenly three people came two were shot and one died from poisoning after that incident she went to an art show and saw an artist got killed by his own sculpture until then her crush grabowski a police men has been investigating about the murder

message 11: by Tania (new)

Tania Hartanto | 36 comments This is a summary for the book 'Decline & Fall'

While studying at Oxford University, Paul Pennyfeather is set on by members of the Bollinger Club, who set on him, remove his clothes and force him to run naked around the university campus. Expelled for indecent behaviour, he looks for a job as a schoolmaster and finds one at Llanabba Castle School, Wales, where he is one of a bunch of misfits who probably drifted into teaching by accident just as he did. The students are irritating, and some of the staff are very odd. Among them are the usually drunk, accident-prone Captain Grimes, and the likeable yet ever-dithering Prendergast, who once made the mistake of removing his wig in full view of the boys on his first day at the place.

Very soon Sports Day arrives, and with it Margot Beste-Chetwynde, the mother of one of his pupils. Prendergast accidentally shoots one budding young athlete, Lord Tangent, in the leg with a starting pistol. His mother, Lady Circumference, only seems mildly annoyed. Later Captain Grimes mysteriously disappears, and Paul becomes engaged to Mrs B-C. On the morning of the wedding he is arrested on a charge of trafficking in the white slave trade and sent to prison. While behind bars his fiancée comes to visit him, and tells him she is getting married to someone else.

message 12: by Tania (new)

While studying at Oxford University, Paul Pennyfeather is set on by members of the Bollinger Club, who set on him, remove his clothes and force him to run naked around the university campus. Expelled for indecent behaviour, he looks for a job as a schoolmaster and finds one at Llanabba Castle School, Wales, where he is one of a bunch of misfits who probably drifted into teaching by accident just as he did. The students are irritating, and some of the staff are very odd. Among them are the usually drunk, accident-prone Captain Grimes, and the likeable yet ever-dithering Prendergast, who once made the mistake of removing his wig in full view of the boys on his first day at the place.

Very soon Sports Day arrives, and with it Margot Beste-Chetwynde, the mother of one of his pupils. Prendergast accidentally shoots one budding young athlete, Lord Tangent, in the leg with a starting pistol. His mother, Lady Circumference, only seems mildly annoyed. Later Captain Grimes mysteriously disappears, and Paul becomes engaged to Mrs B-C. On the morning of the wedding he is arrested on a charge of trafficking in the white slave trade and sent to prison. While behind bars his fiancée comes to visit him, and tells him she is getting married to someone else.

message 13: by Tania (new)

message 14: by Tania (new)

Tania Hartanto | 36 comments Summary of "The Enemy"

It’s about George Ashton, who is now a Briton, but who previously was a Russian scientist. It’s also about a young man who falls in love with George’s daughter. The man slowly becomes a member of the family. But one day a man throws acid in the face of George’s other daughter and then the young man gets the job to observe and to protect George. One day George flees to Sweden with his servant Benson. And George is killed by Benson. Then the young man finds out that George had been a Russian scientist and he also finds out that a man called Lord Creager is responsible for the death of George Ashton, because he told Benson to kill Ashton if he tries to go back to the Russians. But Creager had the young man’s love, Penelope Ashton and he extorted him with her and because of that everything is still not known.

message 15: by Tania (new)

Tania Hartanto | 36 comments One of my favorite books is called "Perks of Being a Wallflower" and it is written by Stephan Chbosky.

It is a story about a freshmen in High School, Charlie, who struggles with bullies, depression, bad influences and girls. While Charlie wants to survive high school, he forces himself to participate in school functions, to prevent himself from falling back into his depression. The not-so-typical teenager finds himself being taken under the wing by a few seniors, and has never been so excited to have friends again. Finally being happy, Charlie experiments with drugs, sex and the part scene, but underlying problems from the past cause Charlie to spiral out of control.

I feel that this book is interesting as it portrays the struggles and issues that teenagers have to face, such as depression. However, there are some parts of the book that are inappropriate.

message 16: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Wibisono | 13 comments This is the summary of the book called Dolphin Music.

The main character is Saul. He is a member of BEACON, an anti-terrorist group. His hobby is to hear music written by dolphins. One day, he visited an elderly woman called Ruth Hunter, and she reveals that she is a member of terrorist group and tortured dolphins in a room called 'Music Room'. The dolphins creates beautiful music before they were suffered to die. After he knew that, he plan to rescue all the dolphins in the Music Rooms with his friend, Sue. Although they took a hard time to let the dolphins escape from the Music Room, but they successfully did it.

I recommend this book for those people who like to read about crime. In my opinion, this book is interesting.