SNA Y7.02 (2015-2016) discussion

Assignment > Term 3 Week 7 (25 Feb 2016): Summary + Book Recommendation

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nurr (new)

Nurr Shahidna | 23 comments Mod
Please post your comment for this week's assignment below.

message 2: by Elaine (new)

Elaine | 31 comments So I got the book The Accidental Tourist, again and this time I will write about my books' summary and recommendation.

Summary:
The Accidental Tourist centers the plot on Macon Leary, a writer of travel guides, whose wife , Sarah, moves out after their son was murdered in a shooting at a fast food restaurant. When Macon becomes physically unfit after a fall involving his dog, he moves to stay with his siblings. Some time after, Macon hires Muriel Pritchett to train his dog. After some events, he realizes he is in love with her, however, when Sarah becomes aware of the situation she decides that she and Macon should reunited. This leads to Macon having to take a difficult decision.

Book Recommendation:
Why you should read The Accidental Tourist:
1. This book has a warm, wise yet funny story.
2. Macon Leary, the M.C. teaches readers a lot about life since his character and outlook gradually change through the storyline.
3. The supporting characters in this book; Macon's eccentric siblings, Julian (his boss), Sarah (his wife), Edward (his dog) and most importantly Muriel (a strong but pushy, needy and always-willing-to-listen type of woman) are all wonderful, realistic and memorable.

In overall this book is a life-affirming book and this is probably the longest book recommendation I have ever written. This book gets a 4/5.

message 3: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Julio Jap (jordanjuliojapgoodreadscom) | 14 comments The book I read is "High life,Low life" .I think it's a fantastic book,and I loved the suspension which was not too tense. I also liked the fact that the suspension managed to hold on until the end of the book. I will rate this book 5/5. I prefer u not to read the summary since it has little punctuations cause I'm too lazy to do it

Summary:
This book is about an old homeless lady called Annie Clayton who suffers a heart attack was saved by her friend Nathan Marley (A private investigator) which Annie asked him to find her a lawyer and there was Joanna Whittaker, the rich, old widow of the late Tom Whittaker which hires Nathan after reading about him saving Annie in the Daily News and Joanna find her lawyer and invited Nat to Joanna's apartment and decided to give all his wealth to Nat although she insist not to. Martha who was Joanna's servant informs to Nat about Joanna's death and when he was checked on his death the doctor said that it was a natural death but Martha kept on suspiciously smiling throughout the investigation. By the time his death gone by, Joanna's apartment seems like robbed and the only suspect is Martha the servant. when Martha was brought into interrogation she admits that she murdered Joanna but at the trial there was insufficient evidence about the killing so instead Martha was charged for stealing so she stayed at jail but at the jail she sends letter to Nathan that said she enjoys her life in jail and in the end Jackie and Joanna's children, Charlie and Betty opens the Annie Clayton center which was a place for homeless woman.

message 4: by Sabina (new)

Sabina Tannady | 15 comments I read a book called ghost stories ,retold by rosemary border .Since this book has a lot of stories ,I'm just going to be commenting on one story that i liked best.
The ghost story is about how a deserted man was seeking shelter and a coach to go back home in a stormy,winter night.Unexpectedly,he rode a coach that was using a disastrous path that had a sad history.The coach that he was in felt strange and dead.When he realized that he was in a dead coach,he decided to get out.but during his attempt,the coach had crashed terribly and resulted in the man finally back home with his wife and the lingering memory of what happened at that night as the doctor heals him.After that, he told the doctor of the coach ,but argued that it was just in his head.And after 20 years , he still believed that he was a passenger of a dead coach .This book is a great book , it describes of many different short stories that are interesting to read . I recommend this book for people who like mystery and paranormal books.I rate this book a 4/5 stars.

message 5: by Albert (new)

Albert | 30 comments This Sherlock book is about some highly confidential government plans went missing and Sherlock Homes and Watson was hired to find a solution and Homes actually knows the solution to the theft but he had a lack of evidence to put the theft in jail and so he started the journey to find solid evidence to fight him in court and justice was occurred.Book Recommendation =I said that this a 5 star book because this book has a lot of mysteries and the placed occurred in England which is a country that like.I will surely Recommend this book to people who like mysteries.

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina | 15 comments I read the book called American Crime Stories retold by John Escott. There are many different kinds of stories in the book, so I simply going to tell one of the stories. The story is about a woman named Elinor was going to a doctor before she meet the doctor, she wore a lipstick. Suddenly she was found dead on the ground floor and nobody knew that she may either committed a suicide or murdered by someone. Many people think that she may have committed a suicide but, her cousin, Louise Baring didn't believe them and she will find the truth of what happen. She ask everyone if they know what happen until one man knew what happen he said that he was the same level as Elinor from the other side of the building saw what have happen. Before she died, she was wearing a lipstick and he think that," No way that she had committed wearing lipstick." After investigating, she went home but she didn't knew that she was been followed by the murdered which is Elinor's husband named Fred. Fred also didn't knew that Elinor's Doctor named Barclay also followed him. So when Fred shot Louise in the leg and about to kill her Barclay saved her life. And the police came and have Fred arrested for murdering innocent people.
I recommend this book 4.8/5 stars for people who like mystery and crime.

message 7: by Ciaxhartono (new)

Ciaxhartono | 13 comments I read this book called Deadlock.
It's about an intelligent girl called Vick. She was just as normal detective until her cousin died, they said that it was a suicide. She on the other hand doesn't believe in that so she tried to proof to everyone that it was a murder, not a suicide. She went through both ups and downs but finally in the end, she proofed them wrong, her cousin didn't commit suicide, he was murdered.
Rate : 3.5/5

message 8: by Felecia (new)

Felecia Agatha | 21 comments Book : The Mayor of Casterbridge
Author : Thomas Hardy ; was retold by Tim Herdon

This story opens when a family of three, consisting of a man called Michael Henchard, his wife Susan Henchard and their toddler, Elizabeth Jane on her mother's arms were on their way to look for a career to support their family's needs, however, as they reached the village of Weldon-Priors weary and hungry, they decided to rest and eat. Much to everyone's astonishment, sober and befuddled Michael sold his beloved wife and daughter to a sailor named Newson. The next day came and Michael was finally aware of what had happened the day before. Frustrated, he quickly left and pegged away to search his wife and daughter. Months after he solemned an oath not to drink any sort of alcoholic beverages, poor Michael gave up on his search and left for the town of Casterbridge, where later on, he became the mayor and became prosperous. Time flies by so quickly and one day, when Mrs Newson ( Susan changed her name to Mrs Newson as she thought that her marriage was legally transferred to Newson ) and Elizabeth visited Casterbridge and found out that her former husband before Newson was the mayor. Days passed and Michael and Susan decided to forget their past and re-start their new life together. Years later, Susan died and left a letter to Michael that isn't to be opened until Elizabeth's wedding, however, Michael opened it and read it. To his surprise, the letter tells him that Elizabeth isn't his real daughter and is Newson's as his real daughter had died and because of this, Newson became malicious towards Elizabeth. Heartbroken, Elizabeth decided to leave Michael. Michael in the other hand became broke as his business wasn't doing well. Not long after, Michael died and Elizabeth was told to forget him forever.

Overall, I utterly like this book and I totally recommend you guys to read this book (even though this book is always avoided and not chosen) as it has a nice story line and its a based-on-true-story kind of story, it also teaches us lessons in life. I rate this book 3.7/5.
The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy

message 9: by Nicholas.N.G (new)

Nicholas.N.G | 12 comments I read this book called But Was It Murder?.It is about where Alex Forley death was a murder or suicide. Doctor Philip Wilver, Alex's doctor, lied to Alex and said that Alex had a brain tumour. He lied because Lisa Wilver, Philip's wife, had an affair with Alex Forley. Philip knew that Alex would kill himself if he had a brain tumour, so Alex killed himself. Now Detective Inspector Rod Eliot wants to find out the truth if it was murder or suicide. I recommend this book 3/5

message 10: by Arbormon123 (new)

Arbormon123 | 18 comments I read a book called "tasty tales", this book is basically a compilation of juicy stories with questions about them after you have read the story. I think that this book has a lot of stories, some of them will give you so much suspense, but some of them are not that good for me. My personal favorite was a story about the best chef to ever cook fugu and one day a group of gangsters appeared in his restaurant. Some of the stories are really boring but nonetheless there are more good stories than bad stories. But I still will rate this book 5/5.

message 11: by Derrick (new)

Derrick | 22 comments My book is Robinson Crusoe. It tells the story of a man named Robinson Crusoe who had a wish to become a sailor. He, however, was not allowed by his father. So, he disembarked without his father knowing. However, in one of his adventures, he gets shipwrecked on an island. Robinson had to suit himself to the island and live there in fear and against cannibals and wild animals for over 30 years before finding other people and finally escaping back to England.
I would recommend this book to everyone as it is very interesting and draws me in. I would rate this book a 4/5.

message 12: by Derrick (new)

Derrick | 22 comments My book is Robinson Crusoe. It tells the story of a man named Robinson Crusoe who had a wish to become a sailor. He, however, was not allowed by his father. So, he disembarked without his father knowing. However, in one of his adventures, he gets shipwrecked on an island. Robinson had to suit himself to the island and live there in fear and against cannibals and wild animals for over 30 years before finding other people and finally escaping back to England.
I would recommend this book to everyone as it is very interesting and draws me in. I would rate this book a 4/5.

message 13: by Derrick (new)

message 14: by Derrick (new)

message 15: by Maybelle (new)

Maybelle | 17 comments I read the book called david copperfield it is a book about a boy called david copperfield and his father died when he was at a very very young age and then his mother remarried to a guy called mr murdstone and he likes to beat david up. David has a servant named peggoty and his mother died soon after David got sent to school then he went on a journey to find his aunt betsey trottwood and he studied more and then he found love and he had a lot of troubles during his life. I personally think that the writer did a wonderful job writing this book ( the author was charles dickens a very famous author). I rate this book a 4/5 as this.book is very nice but its also confusing as u have to memorize alot of names.