Kenyons Minions discussion

General SK Book discussion > Character profiles interested in theories

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments What determines who gets a character profile and who doesn't?

Pheobe's character profile is missing. Lets look at some plausible theories:

1) She didn't play much of a role

True but the same could be said of Amaranda and Cael....they aren't exactly main characters, and sure they showed up briefly for the plot line - but I wouldn't call them main role characters , not even in a secondary character sense.

2) She's dead

Um so's Ryssa

3) She might be resurrected. And so Sherri doesn't want you to see her as dead.

This is plausible. Leaving her without a profile means there is a possibility. However putting dead on her profile is umm.

It's like Edilyn....I could be wrong...but her profile wasn't really created until her book came out. Heck maybe her profile was always there and I never saw it.

I assume Estes doesn't have a profile because of how rotten and how evil he is: But that still doesn't make sense, because I'm sure there are other rotten characters out there, that may be able to match Estes in some form or another..in terms of evilness. Yet they still have profiles.

Discuss your theories on character profiles.

message 2: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments I believe it is just simply because Phoebe and even Estes are secondary characters to the world at large. But Cael and Amaranda are the first ever cross dark-hunter/apollite peeps that work for Thorn and I'm sure in some capacity we will eventually see more of them. Phoebe and Estes were kind of like a blip on the radar.

message 3: by Kat (last edited Feb 24, 2016 05:08PM) (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments I suppose your right. But Estes played quite a large role to be honest. A horrible role...but a role none the less. And if that was the case why does Ryssa have a profile...? Estes and Ryssa could go neck on neck for how much of a role they played.

However I suppose Estes doesn't have a profile, because whilst he had a major role; he was mostly mentioned in third person terms.

1st person is the story through the characters eyes

2nd person the character is in the scene, but another character is telling the story. I.e Acheron is in Styxx's scenes, but it's told through Styxx's perspective

3rd person the character is mentioned but is not even in the scene

Estes had more of a third person role....and whilst his role in the book was pretty major, there wasn't enough second and first person to really give him a profile.

However Ryssa had more of a first person role than Estes did. Most of Acheron's story was told through her eyes. However hardly any of the story is told through Estes eyes. Actually none at all.

In that case Ryssa had more of a first person role than Estes. And Ryssa had a lot more second person role. In fact Ryssa was hardly ever in the third person role. She was always a major part of every scene.

message 4: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Well I think Ryssa has a profile simply because she has the most special significance to Ash. Sure Estes played his role too but seriously who would want to keep thinking about his perverted weasley ass? And besides to even give him a profile would be like endorsing a perverted abuser. That's not what SK would EVER want to portray.

Kind of like the case of Zarek and Valerius's brothers that didn't make it all that great for them either. SK isn't going to give them a profile either for being royal ass hats. And besides they weren't like major players that can be carried from timeline to timeline. Yes abuse can stick with you. But heck even long after the abuser is gone, the person that was abused has to carry on and have their own story. And in essence take with them what they will from that experience. For Ash that was Ryssa regardless of the POV she had in the story at the time.

message 5: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments Thought about Ryssa having a profile and not other tertiary characters... Ryssa's diaries...didn't they initially show up in the first dream hunter book...where Geary is searching for Atlantis? Estes only showed up for Ash and Styxx's books, but Ryssa's 'presence' is in other books too.

message 6: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Yep on the diaries. I think even Artie had gotten them at one point too. But yea, I think Ryssa aspects will always be around cause Ash is.

message 7: by BookPusher D (new)

BookPusher D (bookpusherd) | 130 comments I believe it has to do with spoilers. Ryssa is mentioned enough for people to need to look back and remember who she is, and her place and story is pivotal for this world. C & A are always brought up, and SK has said in many interviews that their story will continue, so they are large players in the story, we just haven't gotten to their time in the spotlight. I personally don't see a need for E's character page, and I like DHfans reasoning, so I second that thought. Now Phoebe... I am holding out that its a spoiler, so she can't be up yet. Has anyone ever noticed a character page that disappears all of a sudden? I always read DH while looking at the character profiles, and could ave sworn some characters' pages have gone missing.... but I am not as diligent as y'all with the note taking to remember.

message 8: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Good point on the spoiler aspect of things too BookPusher. And yea I think some of SK's people just rotate out certain profiles for a while and maybe updates them or something. Cause I did notice some profiles had come and gone. But also maybe they take down the old profiles to make room for newer characters too and whom they are tied to.

message 9: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (last edited Feb 25, 2016 09:53AM) (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments I believe, too, that the staff has been working on updating profiles, and Carl has mentioned that some of the coding has gone wonky from time to time. I haven't seen any that have completely disappeared permanently yet, but then again, there are a lot of characters listed on the site ... XD

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "Well I think Ryssa has a profile simply because she has the most special significance to Ash. Sure Estes played his role too but seriously who would want to keep thinking about his perverted weasle..."

Dhdan4life your theory of not having the profile of a pedophile would hold water....if Apollo also didn't have a profile. So what rapist Apollo gets a profile just because he has a big significance in the world?

And also Pheobe meant something to Urian....meant everything. What is so wrong with giving her a profile?

That's why I have some sort of theory that it might not be the last we see of Pheobe. I know it sounds far fetched....but for some strange reason I don't remember Edilyn's profile being up there until her book came out.

message 11: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments But you forget that Apollo is also a very central character to things too. Hell we wouldn't even have Dark-Hunters if he hadn't created his Apollites and the queen got jealous of Ryssa. And Apollo being the ass hat he is running off to Artie for help with it. And therein her stealing from Ash his abilities and combating the Daimons. Which therein makes Apollo not only a sicko rapist but central to the whole cause and affect of the world really.

Not only that but he likely has a profile too doing what he did to Ash and so forth. Have to remember the characters that thus far have profiles they are part of the larger over arcing world of things and have effected so many changes for good or bad at a pivotal point in time in some fashion or another.

That is why I say for Phoebe she was just a third party bystander. She wasn't like her sister Cassandra that actually was the heir something, something or other of again Apollo's line and why even she had to be kept alive. No, Phoebe was just a love interest that didn't make it through the fight unfortunately.

Now I could be wrong and we will likely see if she comes back. But to me Phoebe wasn't really all that. I mean she kind of was like the shellans of the BDB world in a respect to me. She fed from Urian and so forth. But even Uri himself was doing the double agent stuff and more with the in's and out's of their world and his "dad's" side of things at times. And he just rescued her when he was spying on their fam. Beyond that I don't really see what else she brought to things.

message 12: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments This is so interesting! Quite a while back I wondered about profiles up for characters I never remembered reading aobut...now, I'm KNOWN for forgetting this nowadays, but I swear some I've never even seen anything that relates to them! Of course, now that Kat has started this thread, I can't remember whose I was wondering about *blushes* so I will have to make a choice: catch up here at GR or check out AuthorGoddess's website and go thru the Characters one by one ...

message 13: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Discovery always pretty fun. ;)

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments Okay so he has a pivotal roll in the story. So he gets a profile? I'm sorry NO. He still doesn't deserve the honor of having a profile. He doesn't need a profile for even the least knowledgeable dark hunter fan knows how important his role is in the story, understands what part Apollo plays ---- a role for evil.

He doesn't need a profile - because people can learn about Apollo in the books. Pheobe is the one who deserves a profile, even if she was just a passing thought.

message 15: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Have you by chance checked out the Q&A on GR here with SK? Can always ask her what she plans on doing with the Phoebe character and why she doesn't have a profile.

message 16: by Kat (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments Oh could you URL me?

message 17: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

Have to scroll down a little bit on her page there. But there is a ask the author a question section you can type in and ask her anything.

message 18: by BookPusher D (new)

BookPusher D (bookpusherd) | 130 comments Kat I feel your pain! I had a theory for a long time that Phoebe would be reincarnated 18yrs at least after her death and that was when we would get Urian's book. I think it was here, that we were all chit chatting theories, and I suggested my Phoebe theory. Someone asked SK on the GR q&a and she totally denied it, and said Urian would be meeting someone new.

But I have watched old interviews of SK, since I was late to the DH world, and she is tricky in her wording and says things aren't happening when eventually they do. She is good at only spilling info in regards the the book being published, and keeping us in the dark for future events. I kinda like that about her, even though I want to know but don't..lol

I actually thought Phoebe had a character profile once, but maybe I am wrong. If Uri does meet someone new then for me that explains why she wouldn't get one. It would be sad that out of all the happily married people, Phoebe is the only one to not return to her love. I really don't see her as pivitol, but I still hope SK was throwing us off the sent and she reincarnates.

message 19: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments I read a fanfic once with Pheobe being reborn and getting back with Uri.

message 20: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Remember the site? Sounds like it be something Kat might be into. :)

message 21: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Dude I got the story bookmarked!! My fav Darkhunter/Buffy verse fanfic story...Hold on a sec

message 22: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments Lol my fav fanfic....it's the only DH fanfic I've ever read

message 23: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-11803/...

I can't remember if you have to be a member to read em or not.

message 24: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Sweet there we go. Hopefully it's free.

message 25: by Shari-amor, Doll Cake (new)

Shari-amor | 5271 comments It will be messed up if it wasn't. I sure don't remember paying for anything. Lol

message 26: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1786 comments Dhfan4life wrote: "I believe it is just simply because Phoebe and even Estes are secondary characters to the world at large. But Cael and Amaranda are the first ever cross dark-hunter/apollite peeps that work for Tho..."

I think that Dhfan has the right of it, in regards to who gets a profile and who doesn't. It depends on how central they are to the overall story arc.

So ... to echo (and expand upon) what Dhfan said in another post ...

As much as we love to hate Apollo, he is (unfortunately) VERY central to the overall arc--as well as the existence of the world. Like Dhfan says, without him, we wouldn't have Apollites (and therefore, Daimons). Not to mention the havoc he's been wreaking on Olympus recently. He also played a part in Bathymaas being reborn as Bethany, and I'm sure that most of us would agree that he had a part in shaping the way Artemis is. In short, Apollo basically affects the lives of everyone in the DH universe.

Ryssa was essential to Ash's story--not only because of her love for him, but also because of her diaries. It is her diaries that we see in the early part of Ash's book, plus the diaries are what bring Ash and Tory together, and they play a part in the reconciliation between Ash and Styxx. Plus, Ryssa is part of the Dark-Hunter lore; it is her death that spurs Apollo into cursing the Apollites. And when you think about it, she is mentioned as early as Night Pleasures. So you could say that she's been part of the overall story all along.

Phoebe, on the other hand ... again, I think Dhfan has the right of it. She's basically a blip on the radar, and her main role in the overall story arc is to serve as the reason Stryker cuts Urian's throat, thus bringing Urian over to the "good guys" side. SK has indicated that we aren't going to see her again (and I'm inclined to think that someone else entirely is going to be Urian's heroine in his book).

Same with Estes. His basic role is pretty despicable, which is to play a part in the abuse of Ash and Styxx, and to start driving a major wedge between the brothers. After that, he's done. He does nothing else for the overall story arc (and good riddance to him).

Edilyn's profile wasn't created until after Dragonbane was released, because it would have been a huge spoiler. And really, there wasn't much point in putting up a profile for her before then, seeing as how we really didn't meet Illarion until SONO.

message 27: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments If we want to argue the 'value' of long term work in the series, why does Hermes have a profile? Or how about Eros? Aphrodite - Sure she gave birth to Julian, but we haven't really seen her since. Even her husband Hephastatus has had a minimal role as there aren't that many weapons/locks forged by him in the series.

Even Zarek's *son* Bob has a page and he's what 5? Or how about Manashe, a dog from the League books.

message 28: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Myst wrote: "If we want to argue the 'value' of long term work in the series, why does Hermes have a profile? Or how about Eros? Aphrodite - Sure she gave birth to Julian, but we haven't really seen her since. ..."

For them I guess you could say they are just notable mentions as fam and fave people/animals, for some fave characters. Kind of like if someone was just reading the series and was wondering if so and so had a fam or whatever additional info about them.

message 29: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Charlotte wrote: "Dhfan4life wrote: "I believe it is just simply because Phoebe and even Estes are secondary characters to the world at large. But Cael and Amaranda are the first ever cross dark-hunter/apollite peep..."

Took the words right out of my mouth and made them even better, haha.

message 30: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments I always thought the character profiles were just a by-part of the massive web redo...they went from a dozen or so to anybody who breathed on somebody once the new website launched (and that was why it took so darn long to get it up)...I didn't pay too much attention at first because the gorgeous guy whose picture was used for the Peltier boys was changed to one who I wasn't crazy about so I didn't look; then I mostly only looked when someone was mentioned in a new book. I always felt there were tons of characters that I'd never even heard of!

message 31: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Yea the old site explained most characters better. As she has had many that were spaced out on 3 different sites. Like the original bad boys for each hunter branch. But guess had to change that up and put it all on one site.