S.S. Rebel Alliance (Silent Sustained Reading Discussions) discussion

Theme of Change

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hill | 30 comments Mod
This is a place for you to discuss how the theme of change appears in the books you are reading. What does your character experience? How do they react? What are your personal thoughts? Don't forget to tell us what book you are reading.

message 2: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 3 comments So i'm reading War of the worlds by H.G Wells. this story takes awhile to start up and the main character was kinda boring but that might have been because he is a scientist. Anyway, in the beginning he was really into martians and how much different they would be and how they could maybe live together with earthlings. But when the martians appeared his thoughts and behavior changed for the worse.

message 3: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments I'm currently reading Messi The Inside Story of a Boy Who Became a Legend by Luca Caioli. So far the book has been a series of interview and discussions between the author and Lionel's family, friends, and past coaches. At the age of fourteen, Messi moves to Spain to join Barcelona and must adjust to life away from his family and country. For a shy boy, this is no small challenge.

message 4: by Selina (new)

Selina | 3 comments I am reading Still Alice. I am at the point where Alice has been diagnosed with Alzheimers, for a successful psychologist this is a really big change for her. She is so used to being one of the most intelligent people known and now she can't even remember where she is or what she has to teach. Her life has changed tremendously.

message 5: by Jacob (new)

Jacob Davis | 3 comments I read a book on the history of Hip Hop, and the state of Hip Hop has changed very much since the 70's and 80's. The things they talk about and the style has changed very much.

message 6: by Kailey (new)

Kailey | 2 comments I am reading the book Enemy Women. In this book the main character is a little girl whose mom died. She is going through a major change with her dad and siblings. she has to adjust to the change of emotions in her home between the four of them.

message 7: by Keenan (new)

Keenan Johnson | 1 comments I am currently reading a book about a kid who's mind goes into a virtual world called "the game". He goes in and is in an entire different world where he can basically do any/everything he wants to do.

message 8: by Breanna (new)

Breanna Lemos | 1 comments In the book Still Alice by Lisa Genova Alice is diagnosed with Early onset alzheimers and faces many challenges as it progresses. She loses herself all at once and it is hard on her and everyone around her. Before he diagnoses she is a Harvard Professor is is very well known for her smarts and many seek guidance from her. But as the crippling disease settles in it destroys her mind and she constantly struggles to adapt to her new lifestyle.

message 9: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments In my book Messi, lionel endures much change and adversity as a young boy who moves to Spain. He is very shy and must cope with a lot of expectation and deal with frustrating setbacks. His career starts much slower than he would like, but he doesn't back down.

message 10: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Lindsay | 3 comments I finished reading "Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac". In the book Naomi has a decent life. She is the captain of the tennis team, director over yearbook, has a popular boyfriend, and a great bestfriend. She then falls down a flight of stairs and loses her memory. Naomi doesn't remember the past four years of her life or the relationships she has formed. She gains new interest and starts to like people who she never would have liked before the change. Her old friends and boyfriend can't come to terms with the new Naomi. She learns to find herself, and combine her old life with her new one. Eventually, she gets her memory back, but by then Naomi is a new person.

message 11: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Pegg | 4 comments my book is the help.
in my book they start off as just black maids that help out the white people and are still treated very different. throughout the book a change occurs as they are started to be treated better and paid better or more of the same people as the white people.

message 12: by Lissandro (new)

Lissandro Lara | 2 comments alfred brooks had to change for the better of him and his family he use to steal and hangout with bad friends but knew that wasnt right so he got to boxing and try to win some money and competitions

message 13: by Seneca (new)

Seneca Price | 1 comments I am reading the Assassins Blade, which is a collection of stories with one main character who is going through changes in her life and starting new jobs as an assassin. She battles pirates, frees slaves, and uncovers mysteries.

message 14: by Cole (new)

Cole Crews | 1 comments In the book watch men it shows how peoples opinions have changed from the 1930's where masked vigilantes were accepted by society to how in the 80's they are seen as terrorists and as monsters instead of people doing what they can to bring justice.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Hayes | 1 comments I'm reading Twilight Reimagined, which is the original Twilight, but the main character usually known as Bella, is now a guy. And almost all characters are opposite gender. the theme of change is shown by him moving from Florida with his mom to adjusting to Forks Washington with his dad.

message 16: by Braden (new)

Braden Hobbs | 3 comments I'm reading the book Sky Bridge by Laura Pritchett. In this book, the main character, Libby, goes through a dramatic change. Her sister got pregnant but wanted an abortion. To stop her from doing so, Libby promises to raise the baby. Her sister agrees to this but now, Libby has to take care of Baby Amber. The main theme of this story so far is that her life is being changed big time and she doesn't know if she had what it takes. She is having to rely on her mom, whom she doesn't like, and her friends for help and she is seeing who her real friends are by who sticks with her and who backs out.

message 17: by Breaunna (new)

Breaunna Heard | 3 comments I'm reading the book "Finale" by Becca Fitzpatrick. In this book the main character Nora a seventeen year old high school student was changed from a human to a nephilim and is now the leader of the nephilim army. So one of the main themes in the book is how much her life has changed.

message 18: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Lowery | 3 comments I'm reading "12 Years a Slave" by Solomon Northup. It's about a man who gets captured into slavery after being known as a free black man. He has to go from being free to being beaten and tortured to be able to get back to his family and have the right to be free again. He suffers and he prays and he takes a day at a time with pain and tears for his life to back to normal.

message 19: by Hayden (new)

Hayden Adams | 1 comments I read Go! The whole world of Transportation. It goes from the beginning of time an describes how our modes of transportation has evolved. From the invention of cars, to the invention of planes, this book shows how much transportation has changed throughout time.

message 20: by Rodrigo (new)

Rodrigo Silva | 4 comments I'm reading the Hobbit where my character, Bilbo Baggins, has changed from the begging to the mid point of the story. Bilbo is starting to use his abilities to tell riddles and also using his magical ring to his advantage when encountered with conflict.

message 21: by Braden (new)

Braden Hobbs | 3 comments I'm reading "Skybridge" by Laura Pritchett. The main character, Libby, goes through a significant change when her sister leaves her to take care of her baby. She has been experiencing a lot of trouble due to her mother. The reason that I found the theme of change is actually more of a lack thereof. Libby seriously needs a change in her life. She had been in the same town with the same people doing the same things her whole life and now that she has to take care of baby Amber, she wants to get out of there to raise her in a better place. She is saving up money in order to move out of her mother's house and get an apartment for herself and Amber but she is struggling to do so with all of the things that Amber needs.

message 22: by David (new)

David H. | 3 comments I'm reading Ripper and at first Carver was trying to find his father with the help of a private eye that adopted him. Carver is putting some stories together and finding out his father might be a bad man.He doesn't know if he wants to continue to look for his father or even be a detective anymore.

message 23: by Ethan (new)

Ethan Fisher | 4 comments Im reading the Emerald Mile and the theme of change is present in the Grand Canyon. Many spots on the Colorado River were being dammed up and creating new reservoirs in the river system.

message 24: by Tia (new)

Tia McMillian | 3 comments The book I am reading Hazel never hangs out with friends or does anything outside of her house. She likes to stay home and watch this tv show in her room. So her mom puts her in a support group and she is slowly changing and getting out the house more and hanging out with friends.

message 25: by Isabel (new)

Isabel Zimmermann | 4 comments I am reading "The Nightingale". This story takes place in France during WWII. The characters have turned into different people since the war started. The tough conditions have made them strong and confident. Vianne, the main character's sister, was an innocent, young mother at the start of the war. When the Germans took over, she got out of their way and followed their rules. She now works behind their backs saving Jewish children from being deported, knowing that there are serious consequences if she gets caught.

message 26: by Carledward (new)

Carledward Russell | 3 comments In "Night Hoops", the main character, Sticky, goes through a lot of change throughout the book. At first, he is stealing and not caring about others but himself, but by the end of the book he is just working on his basketball game and his shot and a lot of the other stuff doesn't affect or get to him.

message 27: by Sara (new)

Sara Sekandari | 2 comments I am currently one hundred pages into the novel "Impostor" by Susanne Winnacker, This main character of this book is named Tessa. She is what is called a variant, which means she has the ability to take the form of another human being. She is able to absorb the DNA of an individual just by touching them. Tessa works with a secret branch of the FBI, called the Forces with Extraordinary Abilities and is given a mission. There has been a suspect in Oregon who has already killed two females, "his" third subject was a girl named Madison. Tessa's mission is to take the DNA of Madison and become her, so that she can find the murderer before he kills anyone else. As Tessa absorbs the DNA and changes into dead Madison, she has to overcome a lot of change. Now she is going to be seen as Madison and no longer Tessa. When Madison's family thinks that their daughter is not going to survive, Tessa makes them see otherwise because she takes the form of their dead daughter and becomes her. Tessa goes through much change as she has to adapt to everything as she really is Madison...

message 28: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Belle | 3 comments In the book "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" the main character, Jacob, struggles with the death of his grandfather. He doesn't know how to handle this change in his life and the feelings he has. His grandfather's past was significant to him so when he died he looked to his grandfather's past for closure. His last words were what stuck in Jacob's mind and he needed to figure out what they meant. Jacob and his father travel to the island where his grandfather stayed as a child. Throughout their trip, Jacob constantly looks for clues about his grandfather.

message 29: by Josh (new)

Josh Schlabach | 2 comments In the book "Divergent" she goes through a lot of changes. When she has to change her faction from Abnegation to Dauntless she goes through a lot of change. The factions are completely different from each other. Everyone in Abnegation are very to themselves and selfless. The dauntless are loud, do everything together, and only look out for themselves. So my book is mainly about her adapting to this change.

message 30: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Toney | 1 comments I am reading "Gone". This is a story set in a normal town similar to Pfafftown. Everything is going fine until one day all of the adults over a certain age just vanish. The book goes on from there depicting the life of one of the oldest kids going through the town seeing all the other elementary/middle school kids and trying to decide what to do; now that the adults aren't around anymore.