S.S. Rebel Alliance (Silent Sustained Reading Discussions) discussion

Theme of Life Lessons and/or a Coming of Age

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Hill | 30 comments Mod
This is a place for you to discuss the various life lessons or coming of age stories that appear in the books you are reading. What is the character learning? What are they experiencing? Have you learned anything through reading their experiences? What are your personal thoughts? Don't forget to tell us what book you are reading.

message 2: by Traci (new)

Traci | 3 comments With Michelle in Don't Fail Me Now, she is having to learn to accept her dad leaving her and her siblings behind to be with another woman. She must go on a trip with the daughter of her father and another woman and learn you can't always judge someone from the mistakes of another. It's about hope and accepting life doesn't always turn out right, but it works out for the best. I think it's a wonderful story to learn and see how we are all our own people.

message 3: by Brenisha (new)

Brenisha Younger | 1 comments Twists and Turns The sisters in this book have graduated high school and while they see all of their friends off and doing better things with their life, they are still sitting in the ghetto watching the days go by. As they sit there longer they realize that they are wasting they life and talents. The local librarian motivates them to use their talents doing hair to make a better life for themselves.

message 4: by Andy (new)

Andy | 2 comments shows him growing up as a boy and becoming just like the dad he hated when he wa

message 5: by Andy (new)

Andy | 2 comments i didnt finish....... was growing up. the daily grind has got him drinking on the job and have way more than 1 mistresses.

message 6: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 3 comments Andy wrote: "i didnt finish....... was growing up. the daily grind has got him drinking on the job and have way more than 1 mistresses." thats whats up dawg

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen | 3 comments In the book i am reading right now, two men form a power duo of awesomeness and grow to befriend each other making them realize how cool life can be. boom.

message 8: by Traci (new)

Traci | 3 comments In the book, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List, two friends are coming of age as they learn what it means to be best friends, even in hard times. They learn that sometimes, boys can come between them but they can never break them apart, keeping to the two best friends, even when they have the forces of nature against them. I think it's amazing as you read about a struggle that is actually very common between friends.

message 9: by Proctor (new)

Proctor Davis | 3 comments Bad by Jean Ferris

Dallas is a teenager and has always ran with a bad crowd. Now it a rehabilitation center she must now learn what o do next.

message 10: by Layne (new)

Layne | 1 comments In the book "Eggs" the little boys mom died and his dad is never home. He has to live with his grandmother and he always gives her a hard time. I haven't finished it yet but i'm guessing he will learn a life lesson in life as he grows up.

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1 comments I am reading a book called "dear mom, you're ruining my life." I'm not too far into the book yet because i don't like it very much and i cant get into it. She is a young teenager who is trying to get through her social and school life. She is struggling because she feels like her mother is ruining all of her fun. I'm not too far into it at all so I don't have much to say.

message 12: by Cedric (new)

Cedric Boston | 2 comments In the Percy Jackson series they tell of a great destiny of one of the half bloods will turn 16 and either save or destroy Olympus, and percy turns 16 and saves Olympus #happy ending

message 13: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Carroll | 4 comments So far, Will Grayson has been trying to find his place in his high school and who he should associate himself with as far as friends. He has an embarrassing friend named Tiny and a few more. Everyone likes Will, he's just not sure who he likes as far as friends and a new potential spark named Jane.

message 14: by Michaela (new)

Michaela Scott | 3 comments In Harry Potter #3, Harry begins to realize that the world isn't always a good place. There are good and bad people in the world. He realizes that some people may be wrongly accused for things they didn't do.

message 15: by Nick (new)

Nick Smith | 2 comments With all of the children in Harry Potter as a series as a whole, the readers are able to sit back and kind of examine the young kids grow into unimaginably talented wizards. I feel that the Chamber of Secrets (book two) as an extremely important book in this process of the coming to age side of the series because this is the book that the kids start realizing all of the wonderful things that they will be able to do with this wonderful gift that they were given. I feel that them knowing this really pushes the kids to express themselves and accept that they are wizards, and come to terms with what they will become.

message 16: by Asia (new)

Asia T | 4 comments A young woman loses all her memory from 3 years after getting in a car accident that was recent. Now, the people she thought would always look out for her have now forgotten her and whenever they hear her name it's like a disgrace to their ears. In the process of getting her memory back she realizes what she did to her friends and family in the past was insane and tries to make it up to them by changing how she acts.

message 17: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Carroll | 4 comments Both Will Graysons have trouble fitting in due to the fact that one Will Grayson(1) has a friend who is gay and the other Will Grayson(2) is gay. Both of them want to be treated like adults and not have to be embarrassed for who they are even if they are considered different by others. They both experience loneliness, rejection and hurt in different ways. Will Grayson(1) is abandoned by his friends while they go to a concert and the other Will Grayson(2) is supposed to meet his online friend but ends up being abandoned as well. This is where the two meet and things are starting to pick up.

message 18: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey Carroll | 4 comments At this point in my book, Will Grayson (1) is having trouble trying to communicate with Jane as far as starting a relationship considering that she is already in one. Will Grayson (2) has developed a relationship with Will Grayson (1)'s best friend Tiny. Grayson (1) is having trouble keeping his friendship with Tiny since Tiny is spending most of his free time texting and talking with Grayson (2). This also comes up when Tiny is directing, writing, casting and producing his own musical about himself which is starting to effect Grayson (1). Grayson (2) has come out as gay and will not speak to ex-friend Maura since she "catfished" him by posing to be a guy online who found interest in Grayson (2).

message 19: by Asia (new)

Asia T | 4 comments In Remember Me, a young woman loses all her memory from 3 years after getting in a car accident that she barely remembers. In the present time, she is determined to get her memory back but the process seems to be taking longer than she thought it would.

S.S. Rebel Alliance (Silent Sustained Reading...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Bad (other topics)
Twists and Turns (other topics)