Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1)
This topic is about Six of Crows
BUDDY READS: ARCHIVED > Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo → Start Date: April 22nd, 2016

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Clementine | 901 comments Join Chelsea, Maddison, Vicki, Diana and me! :)

message 2: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea (chelc13) | 997 comments Can't wait!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I love the look of the physical book. I really, really hope this book is as good as it looks!

message 4: by Pang (new) - added it

Pang | 167 comments I will join this!! :D

Clementine | 901 comments Welcome, Pang! :)

Yasmine I would love to join!

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 12104 comments I'm going to need to pull out. I still have aaaages until I can get this book from the library. Sorry!

ricardo (rihky) Question: Do I have to read The Grisha Trilogy to understand this book? I want to join, but I gotta read the others first. xD

Clementine | 901 comments Welcome, Yasmine! :)

Oh, that's too bad, Maddison. :(

I don't think so, rihky. :) It's not set in the same place as the Grisha trilogy, and it's considered a standalone series.

message 10: by Roe (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roe (roel1na) rihky wrote: "Question: Do I have to read The Grisha Trilogy to understand this book? I want to join, but I gotta read the others first. xD"

No, probably not, but there are many references/spoilers in 6oC for the Grisha trilogy. There are a lot of bad reviews for the trilogy, but it's personally my favorite series. 6oC is loved a lot more by the general public, however.

If you don't like seeing Russian words having different meanings, then the series isn't for you. If you don't like very conflicted characters, it is not for you. If you don't like characters with a million flaws at the beginning of each book they have to overcome in the end, it is not for you.

However, if you like angst and seeing people have to learn that their ideals are shitty, then it's great. If you like a dark world, though mixed with a boarding school feeling, then it's great. If you like seeing weak characters show their strength, or prove themselves, the series is for you. If you like stories that don't end perfectly, but realistically according to what the characters would want, this series is for you...

Back to 6oC, this book isn't as focused on powers as on things that were lacking in the other trilogy (according to the negative reviews, if you'd agree with them) such as female empowerment, flaws being okay, etc. There's romance, but it's really obvious, so don't expect surprising and enthralling love stories (at least in book 1!)

There is angst. Overall, the book is enjoyable, but it is simultaneously fast-paced and packed full of new information and character building, so if you aren't able to deal with that, you might find it muddled, confusing, or rushed. The same goes for the Grisha series. However, if you try to picture everything like a slideshow, it helps.

Hmm... I might reread this with you guys.

Clementine | 901 comments Hmm, I won't be able to start this one tomorrow because of work, but I will catch up with you guys as soon as I can! :)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments So, did you all start and or finish this Buddy read? I just started listening to the book today and if there is still any interest I'd love to discuss with someone...

thx!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments No, I haven't and I don't think others have.

I want to read it with someone. You game, Becky?

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments For sure. I'm on Chapter 5. I can wait up for you tho. I have it on CD and I am only listening at work. so I wont' start again til at least Monday. I have plenty of other books to keep me busy - just let me know what works for you!

<3

message 15: by Trisha, lives on coffee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Trisha | 31440 comments this one is SO good. I hope you guys love it too!

Clementine | 901 comments I haven't either but I don't know when I'll be able to... So you guys go ahead! :) I may or not join you depending on a bunch of factors.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Okay, Clementine. :)

Becky, I'll catch up with you and be ready to start ch. 6 Monday .

Amanda | 4400 comments I will join you guys as well. I couldn't get into this last time I tried to read it, but I am ready to give this another chance. I did love her previous series so I hope this time around I can get into it :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I hope it works for you this time, Amanda!

Amanda | 4400 comments Thanks Vicki. I'm excited to try this again :)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Whoo! I'm so excited to be reading with you guys again.

So - thoughts through Chapter 5 on Monday then???

Amanda | 4400 comments Chapter 5 through Monday sounds great :)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Yay. Also Amanda, I'm listening to it on CD and if you aren't having any lucky reading the print version might this be an option for you? I'm enjoying it so far - good narrators!

Amanda | 4400 comments Thanks for the tip Becky :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I also love reading while listening!

Ch. 5 post will be up by Monday!

SO excited to read with you again, Becky!

ricardo (rihky) With all the other books I have been reading, I forgot about this one. I'll probably be joining as well.

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Awesome Rihky! I'm Becky, nice to meet you!

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) Hey, I'm picking this up tomorrow, so I'd love to join!

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments YAY! Good to have you both join us, Rihky and Grace!

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Welcome Grace Meredith. The plan is to get to chapter 5 by Monday - but just do what you can!

:-)

Amanda | 4400 comments 5 chapters in.

Kaz (view spoiler)

Inej (view spoiler)

I am enjoying this so far. I plan on reading more tomorrow.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Glad you like it, Amanda.

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Amanda wrote: "5 chapters in.

Kaz [spoilers removed]

Inej [spoilers removed]

I am enjoying this so far. I plan on reading more tomorrow."

I'm glad you seem to be able to get into it more this time. I agree with both of your assessments above.

Also I'm curious if Anna (view spoiler)

I thought it was very slick how Kaz handled the parlay.

Amanda | 4400 comments I definitely think it was a timing issue when I last tried to read this. It also helps that it has been a gorgeous weekend, so I've spent a lot of time outside while reading.

Anna (view spoiler)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Ok, on to the next few chapters today. I love that i can listen to this at work (shhhhhhh don't tell my boss). Makes my day so much better!

How far do we want to get and when?

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments I'm not sure because I have to read the first 5 chapters tonight, so I probably won't get past ch. 5 today myself, but whatever you all decide I'll do my best.

Tomorrow night I'm going to a movie with my daughter and Wednesday night I'm going out to dinner with one of my wonderful granddaughters. So I'll probably be behind until the weekend. LOL Story of my life!

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments I have to say that I have a small problem following the terms and words in this book, lol. How about you guys?

message 38: by Becky (last edited Apr 25, 2016 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments I'm not sure because I have to read the first 5 chapters tonight, so I probably won't get past ch. 5 today myself, but whatever you all decide I'll do my best.

Tomorrow night I'm going to a movie with my daughter and Wednesday night I'm going out to dinner with one of my wonderful granddaughters. So I'll probably be behind until the weekend. LOL Story of my life!

No rush for me. Lets say another 5 chapters by Friday? Too long too short?

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments That would work for me!

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Ok, I'll shoot for that then.... :-)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments Ok cool. Thanks, Becky!

Amanda | 4400 comments Another 5 chapters by Friday is fine. I already read to that point while sitting outside this morning. But, I have plenty of other books to keep me busy until then :)

Mathias (view spoiler)

Kaz (view spoiler)

Nina (view spoiler)

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments I've gotten to 7, so I'm going to wait to post til I get a bit farther. I'm so glad you're enjoying it Amanda!

Grace Meredith (koreantrash) I got through five chapters today, so five more by Friday shouldn't be TOO hard. ;D

Amanda | 4400 comments Thanks Becky :)

I am having a much easier time this time around.

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Becky wrote: "I've gotten to 7, so I'm going to wait to post til I get a bit farther. I'm so glad you're enjoying it Amanda!"

How are you liking it Grace?

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments This plan is crazy, lol. AAAAAAANNNNNDDD, I really want to know why Kaz wears those gloves!

Amanda | 4400 comments Me too, they keep talking about his gloves, I hope we find out soon.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 32355 comments SPOILER?

Becky (booklovingcoffeeaddict) | 5093 comments Amanda wrote: "Another 5 chapters by Friday is fine. I already read to that point while sitting outside this morning. But, I have plenty of other books to keep me busy until then :)

Mathias [spoilers removed]

K..."

I have finished through chapter 10 as well. I agree with all your statements above - especially Matias. I'm REALLY curious about him.

And I'm worried about (view spoiler)

Also - they all seem SO YOUNG to be so ruthless and hard already. Whew.

« previous 1 3