The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

MODERATOR ANNOUNCEMENTS > Rewards of the Challenge

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Feb 23, 2016 04:58PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17593 comments Mod
There will be some changes to the Group Reads process beginning with the Spring 2016 Challenge. This process selects the Group Reads choices for the Summer 2016 Challenge.

20.10 GROUP READS – To be eligible to participate in the Group Reads process, a player must not have nominated a book in the current challenge's Group Reads. A player may not nominate books in two successive challenges.

Once a year, during the Spring Challenge, players will make suggestions in a Group Reads Category Ideas Thread. The moderators will curate a list of categories from the Ideas Thread for the next year with 2 fiction and 1 non-fiction category selections each season.

The top 30 eligible players on the Midpoint Readerboard will nominate books that fit the three categories. Players tied with the person in 30th place will be included.

A pool of 5 eligible alternate nominators will be selected from the next highest scoring players on the Readerboard. Their nominations will only be included if a top 30 player elects to pass or misses a response deadline.

Book nominators and alternates must respond within 5 days.

A poll of the nominated books will be created for each category.

Books selected as a Group Read in any past challenge will not be included in future polls.

The Group Reads Category Ideas Thread will open on March 15. We need your ideas and participation to identify categories that would make fun and interesting Group Read polls. The Ideas Thread will be open for suggestions for two weeks.
The ideas gathered from the Group Reads Category Ideas Thread are not going to be voted on as categories, but the suggestions will be used to build a list from which categories will be randomly chosen. We will post the year's categories in advance so nominators will have time to research and select appropriate books. There will be polls for each season's categories of nominated books.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7588 comments ohhh i like this idea!

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15890 comments Mod
Dee wrote: "ohhh i like this idea!"

We thought this would be a good way to get more fresh ideas for the categories, and bring more people into the process!

message 4: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3669 comments Perhaps the person who nominated the category might automatically be included in the voters for the actual books that fit that category. This way even someone with limited "score" would have a chance for more participation. You might give a minimum score requirement, but maybe something like "at least 50 earned points."

For example, if I suggested "dogs" as a category and that category wound up being one of the selected categories for Fall 2016, I would be included in the group that nominates the books for that category, even if my most recent score was only 75 points.

Hope that made sense.

message 5: by Maya (new)

Maya (ferafaces) | 357 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Perhaps the person who nominated the category might automatically be included in the voters for the actual books that fit that category. This way even someone with limited "score" would have a chan..."

I like this addendum (ooh, big word!). It motivates people who know they aren't going to be upwards in the leaderboard to participate.

message 6: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2495 comments Sandy wrote: "Dee wrote: "ohhh i like this idea!"

We thought this would be a good way to get more fresh ideas for the categories, and bring more people into the process!"

Good thinking.

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15890 comments Mod
Book Concierge wrote: "Perhaps the person who nominated the category might automatically be included in the voters for the actual books that fit that category. This way even someone with limited "score" would have a chan..."

we are looking at different ways to bring more people into the process, but one step at a time!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1019 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Perhaps the person who nominated the category might automatically be included in the voters for the actual books that fit that category. This way even someone with limited "score" would have a chan..."

Nice suggestion!!!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1019 comments Dee wrote: "ohhh i like this idea!"

I like it too Dee!!! Can't wait to see what the suggestions for categories will be :)