Kenyons Minions discussion

Dark Hunter: General discussions > Reading Acheron again after reading Styxx

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments I'm curious if any of you have reread Acheron after Styxx and how has your perspective on Acheron and Ryssa changed? How has your perspective on Styxx changed, reading Acheron again and looking at it from Ryssa and Acheron's perspective...whilst being aware of Styxx's side of the story?

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

message 2: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Didn't have it in me to go back and do a re-read Ash's book. But I will admit I did feel bad for Styxx. But more than anything I truly felt even more that they were on opposite sides of the same coin. And more or less lived parallel lives of a sort. And yet were still in each other's shadow in regards to meeting and failing so many of the same people's expectations time and again.

I hold to still feeling for Ryssa and find that she was rebelling against Styxx because he was the "honorary" most wanted child of their family whereas she barely got nothing but a pat on the head, but who cared to listen to her as a woman? And to say the least she was as protective as she could be over Ash.

message 3: by Kat (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments I have mixed feelings about Ryssa. I disliked her for most of Styxx's book...but when she was slaughtered I cried on a personal level...which must mean that I have some sort of soft spot for her. I can't explain why. But I don't 100% dislike Ryssa. I do have a soft spot for her.

message 4: by Cindi (new)

Cindi (ourtrumpcard) | 534 comments Gosh, the thought of re-reading Ash's book makes my teeth hurt! I hope to but doubt I'll be brave enough to go through all that again...Ryssa is key, tho, huh? She seemed to be a harlequin, two completely different faces.

❤Stephanie ღ♥ღMrs Daryl Dixonღ♥ღ I read both years ago, I do what to go back and read both again and see what I feel now knowing the whole story. I will admit that I felt a lot of anger for Acheron while reading Styxx and that I really hated they way Ryssa acted towards Styxx. But like I said it has been years since reading them, I think that I might actually listen to the audiobooks, has anyone listened to them? do you think it would be better to listen then read them.

message 6: by Slick (new)

Slick | 453 comments I will only ever read these books again if I wish to become chronically depressed. Good day.

message 7: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments I don't recall what my original feelings for Ryssa were as I read Acheron around it's release year, and Styxx last year, so there were multiple years between.

But I did re-read Acheron last year in a re-read and Ryssa's behaviour towards Styxx cannot totally be excused by her feeling unwanted. She was a right cow towards Styxx, and didn't exactly have Ash's best interests in mind at times for the consequences he ended up having.

That being said, she was innocent in the scheme of things for why she was murdered. That was a battle between the gods/apollites. She just happened to be married to Apollo. Even in Ash's book it was clear he didn't "care" for her.

But I don't have 'tender' feelings towards her. She saw a heck of a lot more of Styxx's life than Ash saw. She also saw a lot more of Ash's life than Styxx was allowed. The boys not knowing how crummy the other's life was I could see, Ryssa chose to not see how unpleasant Styxx's life was.

message 8: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Myst wrote: "I don't recall what my original feelings for Ryssa were as I read Acheron around it's release year, and Styxx last year, so there were multiple years between.

But I did re-read Acheron last year i..."

Yep, I'll admit to being a softie towards her. Cause til we actually get a diagnosis about her being off in the head. I'm sticking with my thoughts that she was fiercely or as fiercely as any woman could be, protective towards Ash. Because on some levels if you think about it on the outside looking in. She like the rest of the world saw two boys with the same face getting similiarish treatment true enough. But at the same time one was still consider the ol' mighty prince and his brother, HER "brother" was getting kicked around like gutter trash or treated no better than a woman or a slave would have been at the time. And to anybody that would rightly not make any sense given how everyone is supposed to have been of pure and noble birth right?

Yea, her murder was a total by association deal. And I still say she was more chattel than wife to Apollo cause he didn't respect her any at all molesting the hell out of her brother at the same dinner table. And equally humiliating her in front of the rest of the guests that would be around. And the father the ass hat he was for even serving her up on a platter to Apollo in the first place. I'm sorry but to me the dad sealed her fate just as much as Apollymi sealed the fate of some of the things happening with Ash when she placed him in a human womb. I hate saying that but she totally did in some respects.

Yes, Ryssa may have chose not to see how crummy Styxx's experience was. But think about it this way, have you ever been so totally ticked off, like beyond belief at someone else that you can't see things from their perspective regardless of how someone tells you that that other person is having it worse off than you? I will be the first to admit that I'm not always a big enough person to do that at times. Cause I frankly tune all that out when I can't stand somebody. To which I think Ryssa felt the same way with Styxx. Because it's like regardless what happened to him, he was still a MAN, capable of RUNNING, DOING, and HAVING, whatever he wanted at the end of the day. He would still get to be King in their world, he would still be allowed to have many children and slaves and so forth of his own, he could have had any one killed at a whim. Because all of that was entitled to someone of his station. THAT is what I believe Ryssa saw in Styxx more so than anything else. And heck while I'm talking about it, she might have had what's it called...Affluenzena by sibling association!

message 9: by Myst (new)

Myst | 734 comments I wouldn't say she had Affluenza by association, I'd say she *had* Affluenza. What did she ever get punished for? Even for hiding Ash at their summer house she hardly got a harsh speaking to. She was never beaten, she had all the clothes and jewels she could want. She almost never got said no to.

message 10: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Life size rewind button, didn't the King slap her one time though for something in Styxx's book? And true she may not have been abused to that degree. But again think about the times they were existing in. By definition alone not having a twig and berries meant you were a NOBODY anyway. And pretty much the dad sold her off like any other piece of slave chattel to the highest most perverse bidder. At which point clothes and jewels means nada, when you aren't even considered for a real marriage alliance. Which daughters likely were thought of even in the less civilized times of the royals as good commodities for that. But nope she was shipped off to be the sacrificial lamb to the slaughter. It was by happenstance that she even got pregnant I think.

message 11: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments Yeah, Xerxes did slap Ryssa when she dared to tell him what Estes had done to Ash. Ryssa wrote of that in her journal as well.

Kat, can I safely presume that you've finally re-read Ash's book? I remember that you were rather hesitant about that before. =)

I have read Ash's book right after Styxx's. Initially, I had done so to make comparisons in certain scenes, or else to re-examine other scenes such as Ash's gelding. And there's a reason I brought up that particular scene. ;)

So what I came away with after reading both books back-to-back:
Yes, Ash came across as a jerk in Styxx's book, more in present time rather than ancient time. In ancient time, I felt that his behavior was more than understandable, something that was reinforced when I re-read his book.

Another point that stands out in my mind is Ryssa's behavior toward her brothers (but not in the way you might think). Yes, she did make it a point to ensure that Ash received love, and she was quite jealous of Styxx. Considering the number of times Xerxes brushed her off because he was conversing with Styxx, I can see that. I can also see that she didn't spend a lot of time around Styxx, and most of the time, she only had half the story on which to base her opinions.

And I agree that she was very limited in her influence on anything, period. However ... it's probably because I had formed a negative opinion of her after reading Styxx, but when I re-read Ash's book, her less-than-stellar moments stood out to me. If Ash didn't appreciate what she did, she got mad. Kinda like Artemis, when I think about it.

In Ash's book, Ryssa came across as extremely naive (and I do mean EXTREMELY naive). In Styxx's book, she came across as quick to jump to conclusions, rather than try to think things through, or perhaps ask a question or two before forming any conclusions. Was that a sign of how it was for women back then? Likely so. But still ... it seemed to me that she was more naive than other women. Again, that could be my own bias speaking, here.

But I'll admit, she did try, at least with Ash. And her being offered to Apollo was an incredibly shitty deal. I also suspect that Apollo impregnated her on purpose, so that he would have a justifiable excuse to visit Styxx--er, Ryssa.

Now, going back to the scene in Ash's book where he was gelded. You know, I had to read that scene a couple of times, before I really noticed certain details, and I became aware of how carefully you have to read SK's words. Because when I first read it, I glossed over the bits where 1) "Styxx" wasn't screaming in pain along with Ash, and 2) "Styxx" was found passed out. It's a huge hint and a half that it wasn't Styxx in that scene.

And so concludes my novel. XD

message 12: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments *Standing O* for the clarity of your thoughts on things Charlotte. :)

But yes, I totally agree with you. Cause although I didn't quite see Ryssa as naïve personally. I can see where you are coming from. I mean being a woman of her station and all I can totally see her not understanding things about the "world" all that much at all. Because she was ushered off or sheltered from most things. Which I always thought was the bane and the curse of being a woman in history at times. Cause if you weren't given the best of everything one minute, and patted on the head like a cherished lap dog. You were DELIBERATELY kept out of things ALL THE DAMN TIME! Cause the men folk thought a woman just couldn't handle this or that(which who in the world could handle the kinds of abuse that Ash and Styxx went through?! I don't even a quality therapist even could).

But you are so right Charlotte, lack of knowledge, education, and more or less being trapped in her station as "princess" really dealt Ryssa a shitty hand at times. As for doing as she did with Ash, I think to some degree that could be somewhat understandable too. Cause given how LITTLE power or control she had with things, even though she wasn't doing things to the level of FEMA or the Red Cross to help Ash. I still think she felt like even the brother she cared for wasn't appreciative of what the "little woman" was doing for him. So yea, to say the least Ryssa was more times than not up in her feelings A LOT. Don't think any of us can disagree on that one.

And yea, color me a loyalist. But I'm still backing how Ash was with Styxx even in the present of times. Because regardless of how big of a person we all think we could be in understanding someone else's shoes and even him slightly telling the other Dhes how NOT to be based on his own experience. Styxx and that time in his life is always going to be a big difference/trigger for him. Even more so because his own human "face" is not even his own. Let that one sink in. The face of the man that led to you always being abused is technically "your" face. And the only time you can see the real you is when you go home away from the human world and you get to be your badass blue self. How does that alone NOT mess with you? And always affect your relationship with said person? I would actually find it stranger if Ash DIDN'T still feel some kind of way.

message 13: by Kat (last edited Feb 24, 2016 03:34PM) (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments I'm actually reading Acheron again now. I was opposed to reading it because I hated seeing Styxx in a negative light again. But I'm reading it for the purpose of Ryssa. Just like Artemis, I don't think she's as bad as she seems.

If I was to be completely honest put your hands up if any of you have said "I hope you rot in hell" to someone you were really mad at, or something else of such a nature?

So if you saw abuse in your family and didn't understand it....didn't understand why the "prince" wasn't doing anything to stop it....even thought princes were supposed to get everything.....then wouldn't that piss you off too. And make you hateful towards the person? Granted Ryssa was extremely naive and forgive me for being curt, but also not the full quid.

Ryssa probably naively thought Styxx had all this power, and yet was leaving them to suffer.

If I saw things from her perspective I'd hate Styxx too. If I was as naive and as stupid as her.

When Ryssa said I hope you get raped as well you deserve it, Styxx could read her mind, and her mind didn't have any redeeming qualities that Styxx picked up on.

If her thoughts were "I want you to be raped, so you can understand what it's like for Acheron and actually help us because you understand the horrors he's been through. Because I think the reason you aren't helping us is because your spoiled and you need to be taken down a notch"

I would of sort of seen that as a redeeming thought, in an odd and strange way.

And when Ryssa pleaded with Styxx a few times to help them, either Styxx was scared (understandable I don't blame him) or drugged and Apollo sent a demon to pretend to be Styxx.

I think Styxx had a few opportunities to redeem himself in Ryssa's eyes. Or at least show her he isn't the tyrant she thinks she is. But Apollo always ruined those moments. Or his fear of his father.

message 14: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (last edited Feb 24, 2016 03:53PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Kat♐♐Fan of Styxx,Sav,Ash, Jaden♐♐ wrote: "I'm actually reading Acheron again now. I was opposed to reading it because I hated seeing Styxx in a negative light again. But I'm reading it for the purpose of Ryssa. Just like Artemis, I don't t..."

And your post alone is why I say all 3 of them had it bad, just Styxx and Ash was more so on the same side of the coin as they both were stumped on for not being the other. Or even for being themselves. Ryssa in her own respects was just like a fly that swarmed around til she tried a rescue of Ash and got him to the summer house. To which probably even sealed her fate even more with the father. Because can't have your daughter running off saving the whipping boy. What kind of sense would that make?

Also agree with whoever said Apollo just took Ryssa on to gain more access to their household. I swear if the mother had of held out much longer he probably would have had at her too.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I've read them back to back as well, last summer, and my thoughts pretty much line up with Charlotte's.

Even the first time I read Ash, Ryssa struck me as very self-centered. She never once stopped to think about what her actions cost Ash, or what further harm she did to him with nearly every decision she made. Hints of the Ryssa Styxx knew are present in Acheron, you just have to look for them.

message 16: by Misty (new)

Misty | 83 comments What I never understood about Ryssa is this: how can it be possible to live side by side with a person your whole life and never, not even once, find something good about him?
Ryssa never said a good word about Styxx. Ever. She started hating him as a kid!
And while there are hints that she's a self centered character (all the times she got pissed off at Acheron?), it's like she's two different people when dealing with the twins: all loving with Ash, all hate with Styxx.
I don't find it very believable.

message 17: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments There are some very good thoughts going here, ladies. =)

@ Kat: lol, "not the full quid". Yeah, the word "stupid" crossed my mind several times when reading about Ryssa in both books. In fact, it's crossed my mind that Ryssa acted very much like a ... young teenager. Understandable when she was in her teens, but rather off-putting when she was in her mid-twenties. But I do understand where you're coming from, in saying that Ryssa wasn't all bad, because she actually wasn't.

Now, I'm not going to discount that Ryssa was at a distinct disadvantage, because she definitely was, for the pure and simple fact that she was a woman. And yes, I think she was spoiled.

I found this at Dictionary.com: http://dictionary.reference.com/brows...

Spoil: "to impair, damage, or harm the character or nature of (someone) by unwise treatment, excessive indulgence, etc."

In other words, rather than trying to make Ryssa a functioning, thinking adult, Xerxes tended to wave her off with a pretty dress or a trinket of some sort. And I do agree with Rachel, Ryssa came off as self-centered. But again, I think we can lay that blame on Xerxes.

I also agree with Dhfan. All three of the siblings were in a bad situation, one way or another. Overall, I do say kudos to Ryssa for accomplishing what Styxx couldn't ... which was to get Ash out of Estes' home (even if only temporarily). And kudos for her efforts to protect Ash, however disastrous it turned out. But definitely thumbs down to her behavior towards Styxx, especially toward the end. (I mean, she went on a rant about Styxx trying to one-up her with his upcoming marriage to Bethany? Really?)

@Misty: good point brought up there, and it's one that Tory mentions to Ash in Styxx's book, when she refers to Ryssa's diaries as the "Jealous Rant" series. In fact, Tory suggests that Ryssa might have been bipolar.

If you go through the comments on Ryssa's character page, the staff makes several replies that explain a bit more about her behavior; and yes, in one of the explanations, Ryssa is described as bipolar.
http://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/charac...

I think we can all agree that Ryssa was a complicated character, with strengths and flaws. =)

message 18: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Exactly, and as folks have often said of women in general, we are one hell of a complex gender in all kinds of ways. Ryssa was just the queen of that and thensome. And the utmost product of her environment. Couldn't really do better in her case cause really there wasn't much of an example of HOW to be better. So I think more than anything she caved to her bad behavior more times than not.

message 19: by Charlotte, Cheesy Cakes (new)

Charlotte (charkro) | 1794 comments All right, so now that I have posted more thoughts on Ryssa, I'm going to expand upon my thoughts about Ash coming across as a jerk in Styxx's book.

Like I said before, I thoroughly understand why he was so hateful to Styxx in the ancient time. Yeah, I'd act that way too. And I thoroughly understand what Dhfan is saying, about Ash wanting to stay the hell away from Styxx, because the two share the same appearance, and Ash reliving his past all over again. That much is underscored in three events: Mardi Gras, when Styxx tried to stab Ash; when Ash retrieves Styxx from Tartarus; and later, when Styxx asks to leave Katateros. It's easy to how seeing Styxx manages to affect Ash in a negative way. Not discounting that, at all. Can't blame Ash for feeling the way he does. I do agree, any one of us would very likely do the same.

So why would I say that Ash came across as a jerk to me, in the modern time? Because he came across to me as regarding himself as infallible (the Nick situation notwithstanding), but more importantly, because he failed to follow his own advice.

I'm thinking specifically of Seize the Night, in the scene where Zarek takes Tabitha to the Hall of Mirrors to show her the cruelties that Valerius inflicted on him. Ash comes along, and shows the "rest of the story", so to speak, to Tabby. He forces both Zarek and Tabby to see the full truth, and even chides Zarek for not learning anything, even after marrying a justice nymph.

It is also in this book, that Ash gives the lecture that "emotions don't have brains", and "that in order to have a future, he has to let go of the past". These are words spoken to Amanda, in regards to Kyrian.

And yet, Ash treats Styxx with the same regard as Zarek does with Valerius. The word that comes to my mind here, is "hypocrite". He can give out those sorts of lectures and then disregard them in his own situation? Yeah, that makes him human (and any one of us would likely act in the same way, I'll admit), but it still leaves me feeling troubled.

The other situation I found troubling was when Ash fixated on the fact that Styxx stabbed him, yet no thought was given to him having done the same. Urian has to point that out to him.

Looking at the scene above, between Ash and Zarek, I felt a strong sense of satisfaction when Urian gave Ash a blistering what-for in Styxx's book. In fact, it takes first Tory, then Urian, and finally Savitar to make Ash see the full truth.

And yet, perhaps ironically, I love Ash even more for all that. He manned up and admitted his mistakes, and now he is working on repairing his relationship with his brother. In a way, it makes him more ... human. =)

message 20: by Misty (new)

Misty | 83 comments Charlotte wrote: "All right, so now that I have posted more thoughts on Ryssa, I'm going to expand upon my thoughts about Ash coming across as a jerk in Styxx's book.

Like I said before, I thoroughly understand why..."

All the things you said are the reasons why I can bear to read again those parts in Styxx book (while I will never ever ever read again the rest of his book). Acheron's realization of his faults is a beautiful moment because you see this mighty being coming to terms with the hard cold truth: that he was a jerk and he mistreated a brother who never deserved it.
At first he doesn't want to see it. And even when he DOES see it, he doesn't apologizes, but instead he stays away, taking the easy way out. It's just in the end, when Styxx sacrifices himself for him, again, that he finally gives in and, so to speak, bows to his brother. And I loved that about Ash, because he was man enough to admit he was wrong and to apologize for it.

message 21: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments But, see where you thought of him being a jerk or a hypocrite and I can see where you are coming from with that Charlotte. I saw it as Ash the GOD being made human all over again. Even more so, the fact that, and this is my favorite quote/saying of all time is, "to err is human, but to forgive is divine". And for Ash to still out of so many years not be able to be completely unbiased about his own past and history, I loved that. Even more so than him eventually working through it and listening to Tory.

And why I say that, is because doesn't it always seem like there are times when people just ALWAYS and right on TIME, expect us to get over our issues, ourselves, and play nicey-nice with others that we feel have done us wrong, broke our trust, etc. Because we are just being soooo trivial about what happened and it wasn't really that big a deal?

As for the stabbing situation, I kind of expected Ash to be dead after that happened too to be honest. Not like you can just stab the prince and expect to live after that one. And yea, I don't know, I just like seeing my fave characters show they can be just as petty as real life people too. I hate when they do the right thing so fast and so quick. As that is totally unbelievable to me. Riding out the hurt, getting a bit of a talking to/seeing another perspective and actually listening to it, and slowly patch things up is more of the natural course to me.

message 22: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Misty wrote: "Charlotte wrote: "All right, so now that I have posted more thoughts on Ryssa, I'm going to expand upon my thoughts about Ash coming across as a jerk in Styxx's book.

Like I said before, I thoroug..."

LOL, color me petty but I loved Ash for being that way as much as I loved him seeing the light.

message 23: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments I loved Ash all the more after reading Styxx. He was so REAL. And when he did finally man up and admit he'd been wrong, it was beautiful. He grew as a person. In real life, most people won't do that. Especially when it hurts.

It also struck me how Styxx knew and experienced love in its truest form, and Ash didn't until after Apollo killed him. But even then, Ash's experience was tainted by Artemis. Styxx never had any of that happen to him and Bethany, and it was something strong for him to hold on to and keep him more grounded, in some ways, than Ash could ever hope to be prior to meeting Tory.

Styxx was able to develop empathy and real relationships, where Ash didn't have any of that until after he'd died.

message 24: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Rachel wrote: "I loved Ash all the more after reading Styxx. He was so REAL. And when he did finally man up and admit he'd been wrong, it was beautiful. He grew as a person. In real life, most people won't do tha..."

And to play the devil's advocate further a bit. But don't you and everyone else think that maybe how Ash finally experienced love and all the went through with Artie gave him even more of a scab as to how he viewed things about his past.

Also maybe even with him saying all that stuff to Zarek and all that about moving on and seeing the whole picture. He was possibly in his own way slowly trying to internally change his own views by saying those things. Because he constantly knew he was still carrying much of his own chip around with him in regards to Styxx. So by telling the others that kind of stuff he was trying to mentally tell himself the same thing so he could learn how to be the change he wanted to see in others?

message 25: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments As an abuse survivor myself, I probably identify with Ash more strongly than a lot of readers. I've been in the place where you can look at someone and know what they're doing is wrong and they're not dealing with, while at the same time refusing to acknowledge you're not dealing with your own hangups.

It's actually really easy to do. You compartmentalize what happened to you so you can go on with your life, and don't realize what you've done is slowly killing you and turning you into a person you don't want to be. Sherri's an abuse survivor too, and one of the reasons I love DH and The League so much is because she's writing from a place I now understand--even though I wish I didn't.

Ash forgiving Styxx meant opening up things in his own past he didn't want to revisit. It also means forgiving yourself, which in some ways is harder than forgiving the person who wronged you.

Artie definitely screwed him up more than he already was. She preyed on his vulnerability and desperation. Which makes Ash's attitude toward Styxx make even MORE sense. Acknowledging Styxx meant giving another person the power to hurt him in the same way Artie did. I know for me, the thought of ever trusting another man enough to marry him is one of the scariest things I can contemplate. Ash is all of that multiplied exponentially, and without a support system.

message 26: by Kat (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments I've been looking at the bipolar disorder on the site WebMd and I still don't understand how volatile emotions can give someone a two faced personality? Shouldn't that be split personality disorder, and not bipolar?

Some questions to ponder:

If Styxx was treated the same way as Ash and not given the title prince would Ryssa have been kind to him?

If Ash was the prince and Styxx the abused, would Ryssa have been mean to Ash and kind to Styxx?

Do you think Ryssa's love for Acheron was because of his personality, aura, their friendship. Or do you think it was more circumstantial, and had Acheron been "prince" she wouldn't have wasted a single word of kindness on him?

message 27: by Kat (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments Oh hang on a minute I found some interesting things about bipolar.

Bipolars suffer from manic depression.

Manic means: The word "manic" describes the times when someone with bipolar disorder feels overly excited and confident. These feelings can also involve irritability and impulsive or reckless decision-making. About half of people during mania can also have delusions (believing things that aren't true and that they can't be talked out of) or hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that aren't there).

Was Ryssa deluded? Yes. So she must of been one of the half.

Symptoms of Mania that fit Ryssa:

Sudden changes from being joyful to being irritable, angry, and hostile

Showing poor judgment

Becoming more impulsive

Irritability

Trouble making decisions

Feelings of hopelessness or worthlessness

Acting recklessly

mania can cause sleeplessness, sometimes for days, along with hallucinations, psychosis, grandiose delusions, or paranoid rage. In addition, depressive episodes can be more devastating and harder to treat than for people

So given all that I see Ryssa the same way I see Artemis. Having a soft spot for her, but still not approving of her actions.

message 28: by Kat (new)

Kat (katpreece) | 532 comments Some people with bipolar disorder become psychotic when manic or depressed, hearing things that aren't there. They may hold onto false beliefs, and cannot be swayed from them. In some instances, they see themselves as having superhuman skills and powers -- even considering themselves to be god-like.

message 29: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (last edited Feb 25, 2016 04:51PM) (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Rachel wrote: "As an abuse survivor myself, I probably identify with Ash more strongly than a lot of readers. I've been in the place where you can look at someone and know what they're doing is wrong and they're ..."

And see with you saying it that way is why I can't fault Ash for how he felt towards Styxx. As sometimes you have to do you own work before you can go about forgiving other people like that. Most especially when you are in such a protective state and don't want to hear about that other person and what they are going through. It's like I know what I went through gelding, rings shoved down my throat, being f*cked by dudes screaming the real person they wanted to be with name as they abused my body, and then on top of all of that I have to push that to the side and say aww I understand Styxx too? No way.

Which although I was never in your situation Rachel or either of these characters. But I used to go through similar emotional junk like that with my mom. And I always had a friend that would be like but see things from her side sometimes. And when I wasn't in my feelings so much I could. But when I was, there is no way in the hell I wanted to hear about where she was coming from or what she went through in her own childhood experience. As I guess I just wanted to be the sole victim of a particular situation at the time instead of sharing that spotlight and be the first one to forgive. And which leads me to say color me petty as hell. As it does take loads to see someone else's side and let go of your own hurt to forgive and give that other person another chance.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Smith (rlsauthor) | 626 comments Exactly, dh!

Kat, manic depression and bipolar are the exact same thing. Manic depression is the descriptive term for what bipolar consists of. And yeah, it can really screw with your personality and turn you into exactly what Ryssa displays in Styxx. Since she lived waaaay before the time when her out of whack brain chemicals could be manipulated back into position, we'll never know what she was like beneath the bipolar.

It's a devastating mental imbalance that destroys families, even today.

message 31: by Dhfan4life, Honey Bun (new)

Dhfan4life | 10411 comments Rachel wrote: "Exactly, dh!

Kat, manic depression and bipolar are the exact same thing. Manic depression is the descriptive term for what bipolar consists of. And yeah, it can really screw with your personality ..."

And being "blessed" by the Gods sure as hell didn't help that family any at all.