Inkshares Community discussion

Promote Yours/Others' Project > Making Playlists - Thoughts?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elayna (new)

Elayna (elaynamae) So I've been trying to find some unique ways to get my book out there to me, and as I was thinking this I had spotify open and was listening to my playlist I write to and BOOM. IDEA.

Make a playlist to promote the book!

Me putting up a post is one part to share it with y'all, but also to see if this is something others have done before & found successful, or if people who've done it have suggestions, or if this is untapped territory. I'm just really trying to create bonus content that can engage people outside of just the long blurbs and snippets of story. I know I for one read better when not on a screen thanks to my attention span, so I want to reach the most people in the most engaging way. Just wanted to put this out there and see what others have to say about it!

If you want to see my reader update where I shared the playlist, its http://bit.ly/tatlru2! Thanks all. ^_^

message 2: by A.C. (new)

A.C. Weston (acwestonwrites) | 191 comments Mod
It's a thing to do, yeah! I have playlists for each of my main characters, and one for my book as a whole. I haven't shared that one yet, because it needs work.

There's not really any way to know whether listening to a playlist you create results in any pre-orders, but it's not going to hurt. I'm really interested in other ways of getting people to know my characters, so I love making mixes. :)

I don't have spotify, though, and I don't want to sign up for it, so I can't listen to yours. Any chance you can share the song list here, or make one on youtube?

message 3: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Huang (christopher_huang) | 73 comments I want Postmodern Jukebox to make a 1920s cover of "Holding Out For A Hero", if that is even possible. That would probably be perfect for mine. I don't really know what else to add to make up a whole playlist, though.

message 4: by Elayna (new)

Elayna (elaynamae) Cara wrote: "It's a thing to do, yeah! I have playlists for each of my main characters, and one for my book as a whole. I haven't shared that one yet, because it needs work.

There's not really any way to know ..."

Yeah! Here's the song list!

'Deep End' by Ruelle
'When You Break' by Bear's Den
'Human' by Aquilo
'Dark Passage' by The Drift
'Runaway' by Olafur Arnalds

I'm so excited with how well this set of songs conveys my first two chapters. But yeah, hopefully for the other ones I can make YouTube playlists to go with them.

message 5: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Arnold I keep meaning to do this myself. Not so much as a promotional tool, more a matter of throwing out something different than the usual. When I write to music I tend to just put my uploaded CD library in shuffle, which has a total playtime of something like 14.9 days last I remember checking and is highly eclectic(I often describe it as everything from Amos to Zappa). Since I couldn't settle on a reasonably brief playlist of songs to encompass what I listen to while writing I'd like to eventually make one that follows along with my book, 1 or 2 songs per Part to capture the feel of each.

That was a whole lotta rambling on my part, and a clear reminder that I should not post after work. To get to your original post, I definitely think its a good idea as far as shaking up your updates instead of just the same old status reports. I know I wish I could have varied my campaign's updates quite a bit more than I did, but my brain locked up pretty quickly and just sort of stayed that way until nearly the end.