February 2016: World War II > All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doeer

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 89 comments All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doeer
530 pages

★★★★

This is one of those books that I don't know how to really review it. It has rave reviews left and right and I doubt I could really add much to the elaborate wording so many others have already done. This story mostly follows the lives of Marie-Laure and Werner during the WWII. Completely different upbringings and cultures, and yet their paths and stories will eventually converge.

I really enjoyed this novel. I honestly didn’t know what to expect from it, I sort of dove into the story without even bothering to read a synopsis. I just sort of jumped on the hype and hopes it was as god as everyone else was stating it was. I wasn’t disappointed. What a wonderful, well-written story. I didn’t want it to end. It’s not a super-fast paced book but one the weaves a beautiful tale of two very different, yet similar teenagers. I’m not much for reading fiction but this one was right my alley with the subject matter. The only reason it didn’t get 5 stars from me is that I DID ride the hype and I think for that reason I was always going to expect far more than the book could ever give, an unfortunate side-effect. Glad I finally go to this one.

message 2: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5813 comments Yay, another person who liked this book.

message 3: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments This book took my breath away. I'm glad I got to it before the hype, completely by accident I read a silly Facebook post about Obama visiting a book store and the list of books he purchased. This was on the list and it piqued my interest. I'm not sure I should have admitted that!!!!

message 4: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4985 comments Susie wrote: "I'm not sure I should have admitted that!!!! "

Why not? Seems like a perfectly legitimate way to choose a book!

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 89 comments annapi wrote: "Susie wrote: "I'm not sure I should have admitted that!!!! "

Why not? Seems like a perfectly legitimate way to choose a book!"

I agree. I think you can learn quite a bit by others reading habits, including the president :)

message 6: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8535 comments What a well done review! I too loved the book. And so did the 8 women in my book group for that evening. We were all profoundly moved. I agree that sometimes when hype is high it takes something away. I felt that way about the Help. And about The Memory Keepers Daughter. Sometimes you just want to have your own breath taken away before someone promises its going to happen or does it for you….

message 7: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Susie wrote: "This book took my breath away. I'm glad I got to it before the hype, completely by accident I read a silly Facebook post about Obama visiting a book store and the list of books he purchased. This w..."
Interesting.. what other books did he choose?

This book was a f2f book last year for my group. I don't believe there was anyone that read it that didn't appreciate it.

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I think it was this article - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-vis...

message 9: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 696 comments Susie wrote: "I think it was this article - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-vis..."

Thanks for that, very interesting.