THE Group for Authors! discussion

Writer's Circle > How to get reviews?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack Lourens | 9 comments My masterpiece is written. It has just gone on Kindle. The trouble is how will anyone find this hidden gem! I will use all the kdp tools over time. Any advice would be appreciated. (PS. I live in the middle of Thailand where the English language is a luxury and Kindle will not download. No local reviews.

message 2: by P.D.R. (last edited Apr 29, 2014 07:10PM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 42 comments Er, actually you need to set this up long before you upload your book to kindle.

Did you run a Goodreads giveaway leading up to your launch? And similar on any other boards?

Do you have a group of beta readers some of whom might be willing to give reviews?

Do you have a local readers' or writers' group (both preferably)you can do a book launch and giveaway with?

Do you have a writers' co-op you can join?

You can give ARCs to any of those groups and ask for a reveiw.

Are you in an online writers' or readers' group where you can offer free copies for reviews?

message 3: by Jack (new)

Jack Lourens | 9 comments If only. I live in the exact middle of nowhere. Thanks for your feedback. I must admit i just wrote the book without giving to mucj thought to the marketing.

message 4: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 628 comments Physical location is irrelevant. I live in rural New Zealand and it hasn't stopped me from promoting my books.

You find writers groups and beta readers online. You hang out where your target audience does. Do you have Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and/or G+ accounts to connect with fellow writers and readers?

You search for blogs that read/review your genre. You follow their submission guidelines to ask for a review. There are also paid services for indies where your book can be listed in NetGalley for reviewers.

Plus there are multiple Read for Review groups in GR. Find one that fits.

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack Lourens | 9 comments I think i need to follow your advice. I will research a bit more. To show my ignorance what iss a beta reader? Thanks

message 6: by Mellie (last edited Apr 29, 2014 08:40PM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 628 comments Critique partners work with you at a very detailed chapter by chapter level to polish your manuscript and work on plot, pacing, characterisation, development, spelling and grammar.

Beta readers read the book after critique partners and give you feedback on their overall impressions. Both these processes are important before your book goes to your chosen editor.

You also need to claim your author profile and upload your book to Goodreads if you want to run a giveaway, advertise or participate in any Read for Review groups, as you need to link to your book page.

message 7: by Jack (new)

Jack Lourens | 9 comments In truth I wanted to write a book that is mine not the polished and, in my opinion antiseptic books that seem to prevail today. I understand the need but it is not for me. Maybe it doomed to be an undisvovered gem. I appreciate your comments and advice.

message 8: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 628 comments Jack wrote: "In truth I wanted to write a book that is mine not the polished and, in my opinion antiseptic books that seem to prevail today."

Then join Wattpad and let people read the unedited version for free.

If you expect people to pay money for your product you need to provide a basic level of spelling, grammar and professionalism. It is pointless to promote a book that has never been edited. The market is flooded, buyers are canny and use the "look inside" feature to sample before parting with their cash. You cannot expect paying consumers to be your beta readers, the reviewers (if you find any) will rip your book apart.

I fail to see how maintaining a high work standard is making a book "antiseptic".

message 9: by Jack (new)

Jack Lourens | 9 comments I feel my book is professonally presented. Spelings correct, layout excelent. My antiseptic comment perhaps is that so many books are so similar. If you listen to too mamy people do you lose creativty? An example Captain correlis Mandolin. Good book, best seller but to me polished to the point of being unreadable. Maybe its just me!

message 10: by Mellie (last edited Apr 29, 2014 10:40PM) (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 628 comments Jack wrote: "I feel my book is professonally [sic] presented. Spelings [sic] correct, layout excelent [sic]. "

Has it been professionally edited? And what is the link to your book on Smashwords?

message 11: by P.D.R. (last edited Apr 30, 2014 01:44AM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 42 comments Hey, easy there. He's a newbie, AW, with all the innocence and supreme confidence we all had when we were baby beginners.

You will find, Jack, as you gain experience as a writer, that your eyes are not enough to make sure your story is told in the best way possible.

Beta readers are people who love reading. You'll find plenty here at GR. They read your story and pick up the slips and query things you think are crystal clear.

It's really hard for you to pick up all the slips because you know how you think you wrote the words. I let the name Sampson change to Samson and it slipped through. One Beta wanted to know what this word collect was. I thought everyone knew! So I was able to rewrite that sentence and give the collect meaning to everyone.

Start here now and build an author's page. Do so on Amazon and Smashwords.

Go look at Indiesunlimited.com. There's lots there for Indies.
Take a look at www.absolutewrite.com which used to have lots of helpful stuff for beginners. They are a bit of a clique but the basic stuff is sound.

Start footling around with LinkedIn and Google + (I hate Facebk) blog, tweet, and check out writers' boards.

It takes a long time - 2years - to build up a group of readers who will review your work. Read the articles at Indiseunlimited about how to do it. They have some great PR ideas.

message 12: by Jack (new)

Jack Lourens | 9 comments The masterpiece (yes I know it isn't really) has been spell checked and edited by the most picky lawyer I know. It had to be I wrote it in American English which, given I am English was an essential. Honest thanks for your advice. I was more interested in writing the book now I need to figure out how to sell it. I have written four books previously but they we non-fiction.

message 13: by Martyn (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:20AM) (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 248 comments To get reviews, I have a small note at the end of my books:

If you enjoyed Reprobate, check your e-book retailer for the Amsterdam Assassin Series!
Please review Reprobate on your retailer’s website to help me gain more exposure for the Amsterdam Assassin Series.

Ordinarily, about 1 in every 1000 sales results in a review. My average is 1 review for every 50 sales.

message 14: by Jack (new)

Jack Lourens | 9 comments Good idea. Will give it a try,

message 15: by James (new)

James Field | 14 comments Hello,
Have a look at the 'Review Initiative' group here on Goodreads.
James

message 16: by P.D.R. (last edited Apr 30, 2014 05:41PM) (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 42 comments See, Jack? Lots of help from the nice folk at Goodreads.

Writing and selling fiction is so different from doing the same with non-fiction.

Put the learning PR work in now ready for your next novel next year!

message 17: by Jack (new)

Jack Lourens | 9 comments Thanks nice folk. Must start the sequel aaaaagh!!