Read 100+ Books in 2016 discussion

March challenge

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
I'm posting this early because I will be going on vacation this week and won't be back until after the beginning of March.

1. Read a book by an author whose last name starts with M.
2. Since spring training has started in the U. S., read a book about baseball or sports.
3. Read a book by an author born the same year as you.
4. Read a book set in the Middle East.
5. Read a book about food.
6. Read a book that is or was a New York Times bestseller.
7. Read a book about a road trip.
8. Read the first book you see on your TBR pile.
9. Your choice.

message 2: by Chuck (last edited Mar 01, 2016 04:07PM) (new)

Chuck | 59 comments Just got back recently from a week long stay in Cuba - What an amazing country! Lots of history and wonderful people. Now that I'm back I'm getting all my reads lined up.

2. Since spring training has started in the U. S., read a book about baseball or sports.
9. Your choice.

My March reads;
1. "The Returned" by Jason Mott
2. "The Man in the Dugout" by Donald Honig

message 3: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 59 comments Now reading "The Returned" by Jason Mott.

“Harold and Lucille Hargrave's lives have been both joyful and sorrowful in the decades since their only son, Jacob, died tragically at his eighth birthday party in 1966. In their old age they've settled comfortably into life without him, their wounds tempered through the grace of time ... Until one day Jacob mysteriously appears on their doorstep—flesh and blood, their sweet, precocious child, still eight years old.

All over the world people's loved ones are returning from beyond. No one knows how or why this is happening, whether it's a miracle or a sign of the end. Not even Harold and Lucille can agree on whether the boy is real or a wondrous imitation, but one thing they know for sure: he's their son. As chaos erupts around the globe, the newly reunited Hargrave family finds itself at the center of a community on the brink of collapse, forced to navigate a mysterious new reality and a conflict that threatens to unravel the very meaning of what it is to be human.”

message 4: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 59 comments Because spring training is just now beginning for Major League Baseball, time to re-read "The Man in the Dugout" by Donald Honig - One of the best books about baseball,

"The fifteen major-league managers interviewed in The Man in the Dugout represent six decades of baseball—men like Joe McCarthy of the New York Yankees and Walter Alston of the Brooklyn Dodgers. Each oral history, steeped in nostalgia and confidentiality, is a record of the triumphs and defeats of the man carrying the prime responsibility of a multimillion-dollar franchise. Here the manager is revealed as a strategist, tactician, peacemaker, politician, ego-soother, and builder of self-confidence. He holds the toughest, most gratifying, and most insecure job in baseball."

message 5: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 59 comments Raining now in Southern California (finally) and what a perfect day to sit back and read!

9. Your choice.

My March reads;
8. "Gold Fame Citrus" by Claire Vaye Watkins

message 6: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 59 comments Finished reading "The Returned" by Jason Mott - 4/5 Stars.

Now reading "Gold Fame Citrus" by Claire Vaye Watkins.

"Unrelenting drought has transfigured Southern California into a surreal, phantasmagoric landscape. With the Central Valley barren, underground aquifer drained, and Sierra snowpack entirely depleted, most “Mojavs,” prevented by both armed vigilantes and an indifferent bureaucracy from freely crossing borders to lusher regions, have allowed themselves to be evacuated to internment camps. In Los Angeles’ Laurel Canyon, two young Mojavs—Luz, once a poster child for the Bureau of Conservation and its enemies, and Ray, a veteran of the “forever war” turned surfer—squat in a starlet’s abandoned mansion. Holdouts, they subsist on rationed cola and whatever they can loot, scavenge, and improvise.

The couple’s fragile love somehow blooms in this arid place, and for the moment, it seems enough. But when they cross paths with a mysterious child, the thirst for a better future begins. They head east, a route strewn with danger: sinkholes and patrolling authorities, bandits and the brutal, omnipresent sun. Ghosting after them are rumors of a visionary dowser—a diviner for water—and his followers, who whispers say have formed a colony at the edge of a mysterious sea of dunes."

message 7: by Sheila (last edited Mar 29, 2016 06:18PM) (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
I'm back from San Antonio and Nashville. I had a great time. I'm reading a lot but I am backed up on my updates and reviews. Now on to March for me:

5/9, 20 books

1. Read a book by an author whose last name starts with M--George Goes to Camp by C. S. McDonald--finished 3/13/16.
2. Since spring training has started in the U. S., read a book about baseball or sports--A Scout's Report: My 70 Years in Baseball by George Genovese--finished 3/26/16.
3. Read a book by an author born the same year as you--Priscilla: The Hidden Life of an Englishwoman in Wartime France by Nicholas Shakespeare--finished 3/22/16.
8. Read the first book you see on your TBR pile--Dreams of Perfection by Rebecca Heflin--finished 3/28/16.
9. Your choice--The Mysterious Mrs. Pennybaker by Nancy Fraser--finished 3/2/16.

Bonus:
Double Indemnity by James M. Cain--finished 3/2/16
Think of England by K J Charles--finished 3/4/16
Bait: Billionaire Romance 1 by Colleen Charles--finished 3/4/16
Bearly Sheltered--Becca Fanning--finished 3/4/16
The Duke and the Virgin by Dominique Eastwick--finished 3/4/16
The Marquis and the Mistress by Dominique Eastwick--finished 3/4/16
Imagine Harry by Kate and M. Sarah Klise--finished 3/5/16
If You Ever Want to Bring an Alligator to School, DON'T! by Elise Parsley--finished 3/5/16
Spy Camp by Stuart Gibbs--finished 3/10/16
It Takes a Spy by Sheridan Jeane--finished 3/14/16
On the Ropes by Holley Trent--finished 3/15/16
Goodnight June by Sarah Jio--finished 3/15/16
Tony's Haven by Doninique Eastwick--finished 3/17/16
Masquerade with a Marquess by Cerise Deland--finished 3/25/16
From the Ashes by Elle Rochelle--finished 3/29/16

message 8: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 59 comments Bright, sunny skies and still a perfect day to sit back and read!

9. Your choice.

My March reads;
6. Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter

message 9: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 59 comments Well, "Gold Fame Citrus" finally over and done with. I was pretty disappointed in the book - 2/5 stars.

Just started reading "Pretty Girls" by Karin Slaughter, one of my favorite mystery/suspense writers.

"After Claire Scott's millionaire husband of almost 20 years is killed by a mugger, she's devastated. Paul was her rock, and the happiness she felt with him was unlike anything she'd ever known. When an attempted burglary during the funeral brings cops and an FBI agent to their house, Claire discovers Paul may have been hiding something. As events escalate, she calls on Lydia, her estranged sister (whose life as a struggling single mom is worlds away from Claire's privileged one), for help. Soon they uncover evidence that could solve the mystery of the recent disappearance of a young girl, and may also hold the key to their own sister Julia's disappearance 20 years ago. "

message 10: by Rachel (last edited Mar 14, 2016 08:03AM) (new)

Rachel How to Be a Heroine Or, What I've Learned from Reading Too Much by Samantha Ellis -Samantha Ellis 3-3-16
This book was partly light hearted literary criticism and partly insightful and relevant autobiographical vignettes. I really enjoyed the book even when she was talking about characters from books I hadn't even heard of before. Even though the book is nonfiction, it read like a story and not like a text book, and, therefore, I found it great fun.

Distant Echoes by Colleen Coble -Colleen Coble 3-6-16
This book is the first novel in a Christian suspense and romance series called The Aloha Reef series, as it is set in Hawaii, and, in addition to that, the books all have at least some connection to the sea, shown either through diving, normal swimming, or boating. Anyhow, in this book, we are introduced to the Oana family, particularly to the sister in the family, Kaia who works with her friend Nani, a rescue dolphin, as well as a few others from Nani's pod, trying to establish better dolphin-human communication. I thought the book was well-written and entertaining, and the twists and turns of the plot due to the element of suspense/mystery were quite fun, and I even eventually guessed who the villain was before it was fully revealed, which rarely happens, so I was pleased with myself about that. In any case, I also loved the characters in the book and thought they were portrayed well. It has certainly earned its place on my favorites' list.

Black Sands by Colleen Coble -Colleen Coble 3-6-16
This book is the second novel in a Christian suspense and romance series called The Aloha Reef series, as it is set in Hawaii, and, in addition to that, the books all have at least some connection to the sea, shown either through diving, normal swimming, or boating. So, in this book, the main character is Annie, a volcanologist, who has a history with Mano Oana, Kaia's brother, and we get to know her family and her story, which ends happily despite a lot of danger and craziness along the way. Anyhow, I thought the book was well-written and entertaining, and the twists and turns of the plot due to the element of suspense/mystery were quite fun, and I also loved the characters in the book and thought they were portrayed well. It has certainly earned its place on my favorites' list.

Dangerous Depths by Colleen Coble -Colleen Coble 3-7-16
This book is the third novel in a Christian suspense and romance series called The Aloha Reef series, as it is set in Hawaii, and, in addition to that, the books all have at least some connection to the sea, shown either through diving, normal swimming, or boating. The main character in this book is Leia who is actually Bane Oana's ex-fiance, and throughout the novel, we learn more about her and why she had broken her engagement to Bane. In any event, in the first scene of the novel, we learn that she still loves him, which is obvious from the day that his sabotaged plane lands in the sea in front of her eyes and she rescues him, not knowing that it had been he piloting the plane until she got her boat close enough to see him. So, a good deal of the plot focuses on the chemistry brewing between Leia and Bane as they deal with the negative events thrown their way by various saboteurs and villains. Anyhow, I thought the book was well-written and entertaining, and the twists and turns of the plot due to the element of suspense/mystery were quite fun, and I also loved the characters in the book and thought they were portrayed well. It has certainly earned its place on my favorites' list.

Midnight Sea by Colleen Coble -Colleen Coble 3-9-16
This book is the fourth and final novel [there is also a Christmas novella in the series called Holy Night] in a Christian suspense and romance series called The Aloha Reef series, as it is set in Hawaii, and, in addition to that, the books all have at least some connection to the sea, shown either through diving, normal swimming, or boating. Because the first three novels focused on pairing up the three Oana siblings, I was wondering what minor character from one of those novels would be starring on this one, and as it turned out, my first guess was wrong. Regardless of that though, the main character in this book is Lani Tagama, the sister of Annie from Black Sands, and in it, we learn not only about some of her history and how she has changed but also about her aunt both in the past and now. Lani's life is also affected by her aunt's past as a villain from back then intersects with the present, putting not only Lani but her new friend Ben and his niece in terrible danger all for varying reasons. Anyhow, I thought the book was well-written and entertaining, and the twists and turns of the plot due to the element of suspense/mystery were quite fun, and I also loved the characters in the book and thought they were portrayed well. It has certainly earned its place on my favorites' list.

Skating Shoes (Shoes, #7) by Noel Streatfeild -Noel Streafeild 3-13-16
This is a fairly well written children's book and is part of the Shoes series by Noel Streatfeild. Of the Shoes books I've read, I liked this one the least, but it still has fun child characters who are well drawn and good lessons taught through the events in the plot.

message 11: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
I am trying to catch up with all my reviews. I was in San Antonio and Nashville at the end of February. San Antonio had my Wild Wicked Weekend conference while in Nashville I went to an Il Volo concert. This past weekend I went to the Angels and Sirens book event. I have tons of new books to go through, catalog, read, and review. I had a good time at both places. Nothing calms me better than books.

message 12: by Chuck (new)

Chuck | 59 comments Yep, still experiencing bright, sunny skies. Perfect week for camping along the beach during Spring Break!

9. Your choice.

My March reads;
3. "The Agent" by Leigh Steinberg
6. Pretty Girls by Karin Slaughter
9. "The Weatherman" by Steve Thayer

message 13: by Chuck (last edited Mar 24, 2016 05:20AM) (new)

Chuck | 59 comments Currently reading "The Weatherman" by Steve Thayer.
"A serial killer is on the loose in Minnesota, snapping young women's necks with each change of the seasons. Within twenty four hours of the first murder, TV weatherman Dixon Bell, a hulking eccentric, warns his viewers that a tornado is about to strike. The National Weather Service hasn't called it, but Dixon Bell does because he sees it coming in his mind. Among all the complex and original characters in this astonishing novel, the shifting weather and landscape of Minnesota stand out - demonic, majestic, bizarre, magical. Dixon Bell is not the only eccentric on Channel 7's Sky High News. His alter ego is an investigative news producer named Rick Beanblossom, a Vietnam vet and Pulitzer Prize winner, who hides his napalmed face, and his feelings, behind a mask. Guided along the way by an unnamed police source. Rick is on the track of the serial killer. Then he is assigned an unlikely partner, Andrea Labore, a lovely and ambitious ex-cop turned TV reporter. The newsman and the weatherman start out as bitter rivals for this gifted woman. But an ambivalent friendship grows between them when Dixon Bell becomes a suspect in the weather-related killings and Rick Beanblossom sets out to prove him innocent."

Camping next week so I'll be reading "The Agent" by Leigh Steinberg.
"Leigh Steinberg is renowned as one of the greatest sports agents in history, representing such All-Pro clients as Troy Aikman, Bruce Smith, and Ben Roethlisberger. Over one particular seven-year stretch, Steinberg represented the top NFL Draft pick an unheard of six times. Director Cameron Crowe credits Steinberg as a primary inspiration for the titular character in Jerry Maguire, even hiring Steinberg as a consultant on the film. Lightyears ahead of his contemporaries, he expanded his players' reach into entertainment. Already the bestselling author of a business book on negotiation, the original superagent is now taking readers behind the closed doors of professional sports, recounting priceless stories, like how he negotiated a $26.5 million package for Steve Young—the biggest ever at the time—and how he passed on the chance to represent Peyton Manning.

Beginning with his early days as a student leader at Berkeley, Steinberg details his illustrious rise into pro sports fame, his decades of industry dominance, and how he overcame a series of high-profile struggles to regain his sobriety and launch his comeback. This riveting story takes readers inside the inner circle of top-notch agents and players through the visionary career of Leigh Steinberg, the pre-eminent superagent of our time."

message 14: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Just finished A SCOUT'S REPORT: MY 70 YEARS IN BASEBALL by George Genovese. A lot of familiar names within baseball. Mr. Genovese has seen a lot of changes in the game, both on and off the field. He started as a player, went to coaching and managing, then to scouting. He talks about developing players. He lets you behind the scenes. I'm not sure some of the changes that have occurred in scouting have helped. It was interesting to read.

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins -Suzanne Collins 3-17-16
This is my second time reading this series, and I was just as pleased as I was the first time. The books are well written and entertaining, and the characters are well drawn, both the likable and the unlikable. In this first novel of the series, we learn a small amount about Panem and the annual barbaric event, the Hunger Games, but we learn a great deal more about the protagonist, her characteristics and her thoughts, as she becomes a participant in events much larger than she is, much larger than she ever wanted to be involved in.

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins -Suzanne Collins 3-20-16
This is my second time reading this series, and I was just as pleased as I was the first time. The books are well written and entertaining, and the characters are well drawn, both the likable and the unlikable. In this second novel of the series, the plot was even more intense and full of twists than the fist one was, and it ends not only abruptly as the first novel did but with a cliffhanger. Throughout the story, I got even more engaged with the characters in this novel and had more empathy toward them by the end.

Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins -Suzanne Collins 3-22-16
This is my second time reading this series, and I was just as pleased as I was the first time. The books are well written and entertaining, and the characters are well drawn, both the likable and the unlikable. In this final novel of the series, all of the plot elements that affect the protagonist are wrapped up, but the reader is still left wondering how Panem functioned as a country under its new leadership because, ultimately, the books aren't about politics, they're about protecting the important people in your life, your family and your friends.

Sarah's Garden (Patch of Heaven, #1) by Kelly Long -Kelly Long 3-25-16
This was a pleasant series to read. The books, Amish romances, were fairly well written, and the characters were well drawn. This first novel was a nice start to a good, pleasant series.

Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2) by Kelly Long -Kelly Long 3-28-16
This was a pleasant series to read. The books, Amish romances, were fairly well written, and the characters were well drawn. This second novel of the series was a good continuation of a good, pleasant series.

Threads of Grace (Patch of Heaven #3) by Kelly Long -Kelly Long 3-29-16
Overall, this was a pleasant series to read. The books, Amish romances, were fairly well written, and the characters were well drawn. However, this final novel of the series was also my favorite novel of the series because in addition to being a great love story, (view spoiler)I really liked how the author dealt with a difficult subject with compassion while showing that there's hope and recovery. I thought it was a great conclusion to the series.

message 16: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 73 comments Mod
Rachel wrote: "The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins-Suzanne Collins 3-17-16
This is my second time reading this series, and I was just as pleased as I was the first time. The books are well written and entertaini..."

I love the Hunger Game series. Makes you think.