Play Book Tag discussion

44 views
Archives 2016-2017 > For the Admins (and Others)

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1302 comments I want to know how any of the administrators get any reading done with how much they have to do to keep PBT going. I'm in awe because I'm a slow reader and I usually only read 3 or 4 books a month and I also have to do my reading after work and in between other things I have going on. I can only imagine how much time PBT takes. How do you do it?


message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments PBT takes time but luckily Anita does the lion's share of it! PBT is often the highlight of my day...I love coming here and seeing what other people have to say :) It is a labor of love.


message 3: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8315 comments PBT here is taking me less time than at shelfari, since (mostly) people are adding their own books to the group shelf! :-) I do plan to go and double check and add any that were missed, but I'm trying to figure out the best/easiest way to do that. I'm leaning towards checking at the end of each month, as I can't figure out a good way to mark where I leave off, otherwise!


Elizabeth (Alaska) LibraryCin wrote: "PBT here is taking me less time than at shelfari, since (mostly) people are adding their own books to the group shelf! :-) I do plan to go and double check and add any that were missed, but I'm try..."

Is there a way we can help? Like mark in some way that the book has been added, for instance?


message 5: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8315 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Is there a way we can help? Like mark in some way that the book has been added, for instance? "

Good question (and suggestion)! If you think to add a note that you've added it, that would be helpful. I could then just skip over it and I wouldn't have to go look for it.

Just know that no one has to do that, though. It's ok if you don't.

Thank you!


Elizabeth (Alaska) OK, things have been really light for me this challenge because I've been reading for "other" and very long books. I can't remember when I've had a month where I've read only 2 books. (Jenni Elyse, I'm a slow reader too, but retired, and usually crank out 6-7 books per month.)

But I've got my fingers crossed that my vote for the March Tag will be the winner and you'll get lots next month. I'll try to remember to both add and mark them added!


message 7: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Anita does the lions share, followed by Nicole. We all check in a couple of times a day, but it's easy to check quick on my phone or tablet when I'm on the go. There is a lot of behind the scenes discussion, but I've been an administrator within a month of the group starting eight years ago and Cindy and Nicole have almost as much time so we are pretty good at keeping the group running. It's been a lot of work getting the transfer done and learning how things work here (I swear I learn something new daily) but things are starting to go pretty smoothly I think. We are a long time team used to working together.


message 8: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1302 comments I think it's amazing what you all do. And, I'm glad to hear that you all love it so much. I figured you did. Otherwise, you wouldn't keep it up or have dealt with the move from Shelfari. Anyway, you guys are amazing and I appreciate all you do as I'm sure others do as well.


message 9: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I agree that you guys are amazing. I'm new to the group and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. I think I've been reading about reading more than I am actually reading since joining! Another thank you from me. :-)


message 10: by Ladyslott (new)

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Thank you both Jenni and Susie. As Nicole said it is a labor of love.


message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6423 comments Jenni Elyse wrote: "I want to know how any of the administrators get any reading done with how much they have to do to keep PBT going. I'm in awe because I'm a slow reader and I usually only read 3 or 4 books a month ..."

How sweet! Honestly, I'm not getting a whole lot of reading done, but I love administering PBT so much. I'm so happy people came here to Goodreads . . .because I'd be so so sad without it in my life. I'm really not a fast reader either, but I'm willing to trade off some reading for the chance to talk about my favorite topic - - books!


message 12: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8315 comments I am a fast reader. I would say that I did slow down in January due to what I'm calling the "shelfari shuffle" (with everyone "shuffling" around to all the other sites trying to figure out which one to go to!).

I have also slowed down in February, but I believe it's for a different reason now. I am potentially looking at buying a place to live (can't say house; I can't afford that here). I'm in my early 40s and have always rented, but I feel like it's about time. I should have done it 10 years ago and I would be paying way less to live now! So, I'm trying to think 10 years into the future by doing this.


message 13: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5793 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I am potentially looking at buying a place to live (can't say house; I can't n..."

GO for it, Cindy! I bought my first abode when I was still single. It was empowering!


message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I am a fast reader. I would say that I did slow down in January due to what I'm calling the "shelfari shuffle" (with everyone "shuffling" around to all the other sites trying to figure out which on..."

I hope you find something. Will the current state of your province's economy help lower prices?


message 15: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8315 comments BC, and Karin - so far, it's been fun to look, but when I seriously think about a place, I'm terrified!!!! I had a bit of a break down on Saturday last weekend.

Karin, apparently the number of places selling has dropped by 10% (or something like that), but the prices have only fallen 3%. At least so far....


message 16: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments LibraryCin wrote: "BC, and Karin - so far, it's been fun to look, but when I seriously think about a place, I'm terrified!!!! I had a bit of a break down on Saturday last weekend.

Karin, apparently the number of pla..."


Yikes, but I understand. We bought a house when we were both over 40 (not sure how old you are, so maybe not that old yet) and it was scary. However, my husband hated renting and it really wasn't best for us anymore.


message 17: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8315 comments Karin wrote: "We bought a house when we were both over 40 (not sure how old you are, so maybe not that old yet) and it was scary. ..."

I'm 43, so yes, also just over 40. I can't say I hate renting. I'm not even a little bit handy, so that's also terrifying for me - to be completely responsible for it! But, with having been forced to move 2 years ago and discovering how much prices had really gone up (I'd rented in the same house for 15 years; 3 years in basement suite, then upstairs for 12), and I feel like I should have bought (money-wise) 10 years ago! So, I'm hoping - financially - I'll be better off 10 years from now (though short-term - financially - it's going to be a shock... with no more savings and no longer travelling - no disposable income; although the travelling has mostly stopped already... since my move 2 years ago).


message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5793 comments LibraryCin wrote: "So, I'm hoping - financially - I'll be better off 10 years from now (though short-term - financially - it's going to be a shock... "

I don't know the tax situation in Canada, obviously ... but when I bought my house I had MORE money in my pocket, even though my mortgage payment was higher than my rent had been, the deductions for interest on the loan and for property taxes more than offset the slightly higher monthly payment. After that first year, I adjusted my deductions on my monthly paycheck so I had more $ on each paycheck.

You can do it, Cin!


message 19: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 8315 comments Book Concierge wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "So, I'm hoping - financially - I'll be better off 10 years from now (though short-term - financially - it's going to be a shock... "

I don't know the tax situation in Canada, ob..."


Sorry, BC. Just seeing this now! That's crazy! I have no idea if I can use those things as deductions here or not!


back to top