Old Souls Book Club discussion

Share your thoughts > What does happiness mean to you? Is it important to be happy? Is it enough to find joy(s)?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Saiisha (new)

Saiisha | 544 comments Mod
I find happiness to be a long-distance dream for the future, whereas joy - joy can be had anytime I want it :) So I stopped looking for happiness and started going after joy instead. Does this resonate with any of you?

Care to share your thoughts on what you look for in your everyday?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim Lavis (realhappy) | 4 comments Happiness is not something one looks for, it's a byproduct of living a full life.

message 3: by Saiisha (new)

Jim wrote: "Happiness is not something one looks for, it's a byproduct of living a full life."

That's great insight Jim! What do you look for in your everyday? Or on your spiritual path?

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Lavis (realhappy) | 4 comments Saiisha, for me, it's all about mindfulness. It's not so much what I look for, it has more to do with how I except conditions and circumstances that bother me.

Let me backtrack for a moment, I'm not sure I'm addressing your question. Please clarify.

message 5: by Saiisha (new)

Jim wrote: "Saiisha, for me, it's all about mindfulness. It's not so much what I look for, it has more to do with how I except conditions and circumstances that bother me.

Let me backtrack for a moment, I'm ..."

That answers my question Jim - mindfulness is your daily practice, and I agree, it's harder to practice mindfulness with things that bother us!

message 6: by Raghavy (new)

Raghavy | 4 comments I think this article explains the difference between happiness and joy really well. You guys should check it out :)

http://www.daniellelaporte.com/defini...

message 7: by Saiisha (new)

Robert wrote: "Happiness is on the same thread as being sad, just opposite, so they are both far too temporary to really take seriously.
Joy on the other hand comes from a resonating magic usually coming from my ..."

That's funny Robert, to not even want to take happiness seriously :) But I like what you said about joy coming from a place of selflessness - maybe that's why it feels good inside!

message 8: by Saiisha (new)

Raghavy wrote: "I think this article explains the difference between happiness and joy really well. You guys should check it out :)

http://www.daniellelaporte.com/defini......"

Thanks Raghavy - I can attest to what Danielle said: "You can get... pulled through the eye of a needle, and still feel held by the container of joy" - there have been times when I was miserable in my outer circumstances, and yet those were my most joyful moments too, spiritually speaking!

message 9: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 127 comments Someone once said (or I'm paraphrasing) Happiness sneaks in on little cat feet - if I don't focus on happiness - it's there. I seek many things - fulfillment, growth, knowledge, relationships, and I find happiness in each of these.

message 10: by Saiisha (new)

Barbara wrote: "Someone once said (or I'm paraphrasing) Happiness sneaks in on little cat feet - if I don't focus on happiness - it's there. I seek many things - fulfillment, growth, knowledge, relationships, and ..."

Happiness sneaking on little cat feet - made me smile Barbara :) And thanks for sharing your list of things you seek to find happiness in!

message 11: by Dmorri (new)

Dmorri (voodoo71) | 17 comments Barbara wrote: "Someone once said (or I'm paraphrasing) Happiness sneaks in on little cat feet - if I don't focus on happiness - it's there. I seek many things - fulfillment, growth, knowledge, relationships, and ..."

That is a great way to look at happiness.

message 12: by Dmorri (new)

Dmorri (voodoo71) | 17 comments Happiness to me, is being content.
"a harvest of peace is produced from a seed of contentment."
I choose to tackle what ever life throws at me. The past three years I have had many hurdles in life, but nothing that I cant handle, and nothing that should affect my over all attitude. So to be content, is happiness.

message 13: by Saiisha (new)

Debbie wrote: "Happiness to me, is being content.
"a harvest of peace is produced from a seed of contentment."
I choose to tackle what ever life throws at me. The past three years I have had many hurdles in life,..."

"A harvest of peace is produced from a seed of contentment" - I had never heard that - it's powerful! And I like that parallel of contentment = happiness :)

message 14: by Saiisha (new)

I love your Daoist point of view on how when we notice that we're looking for happiness, there's a recognition that we don't have it; and on the flip side, when we feel happiness, we're no longer acknowledging the lack! That's a very astute perception!!