Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Books of the Month, March 2016 - The Bone Clocks and Neuromancer

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (last edited Feb 22, 2016 12:24PM) (new)

Rinn (rinnsohma) | 3456 comments Mod
The winners for March are:

SCI-FI: Neuromancer (after a tight tie breaker poll!)
FANTASY: The Bone Clocks

Book discussion may start at ANY point during the month. There will also be 'overall' discussion threads as more members finish the books - anyone can create these!

message 2: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Wayland Smith | 2858 comments Mod
Third month in a row I'm only reading one of the two in my ongoing quest to cut down/eliminate rereads. Neuromancer is a great book, and I hope folks reading it for the first time (or anyone rereading) has a great time with it.

message 3: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
With the LoTR buddy read and a few review commitments I might miss both reads this month. Not going to break my heart with Bone Clocks as I didnt like Mitchell previously but Necromancer sounds quite good. I'll see how I go.

message 4: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (readingonthefly) | 803 comments I picked up Neuromancer at my local used bookstore. I'm not sure I'll be reading the fantasy pick.

message 5: by Christina (new)

Christina Pilkington | 163 comments I'm going to read both books through audio on OverDrive. I'm not crazy about either book, but I made it a goal to read all of the BOM this year unless they are rereads for me. I'm trying to push myself to read books I'm not as comfortable reading to expose myself to new authors I wouldn't have chosen on my own.

I guess out of the two I'm most nervous to read Bone Clocks. I have previously tried to read Ghostwritten by Mitchell but couldn't force myself to finish it, and I hardly ever DNF books. But I'm hoping my listening to it that I'll be able to get through it easier since I can listen while doing chores and other things. I have Cloud Atlas on my shelves, so this will be a good way for me to judge if I want to try to read that one eventually.

message 6: by Mochajunkie (new)

Mochajunkie | 9 comments I recently read Bone Clocks. There are some things I really liked and one thing, some what large, that I hated. I want to read one or two other books by the author because I'm really undecided if I like his writing. I didn't know anything going in. Sometimes that is refreshing.

I look forward to the discussion! Especially to find out if anyone else hated the thing I did.

message 7: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

You are more than welcome to start the discussion thread in March if you've already read it and are eager to discuss :D

message 8: by Lancer, Warden of the Slums (new)

Lancer (elancer) | 1666 comments Mod
I've had Neuromancer on my shelf for quite a while so I'm going to get in on that cyberpuppy

message 9: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (last edited Feb 24, 2016 03:05AM) (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1884 comments Mod
The Bone Clocks is £4.99 on Kindle and £3.85 in paperback - the paperback is cheaper... what is this madness

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (rabbit-yak) Found The Bone Clocks in a secondhand bookshop so nabbed it.
I'm a little intimidated by David Mitchell's books for some reason, but want to give it a go regardless.

message 11: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I've been looking forward to reading the Bone Clocks for ages. I must have nominated it for BotM four or five times.

message 12: by Susie (new)

Susie  (susiend104) | 265 comments I hesitated on Bone Clocks because I've had several people tell me they really didn't like Cloud Atlas, but I've never given Mitchell a try myself. The premise is interesting and my library has it, so I'm willing to go for it!
It's been a few years since I read Neuromancer, but I own a copy and will happily brush up on it if I have time.

message 13: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Ooh thanks Kirsty, I'll order it from Amazon then! :D I've been looking out for it 2nd hand, but no luck - only find has been a huuuuge hardback that I don't want to lug around. Happy to pay the £3.85 though.

message 14: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Susie wrote: "I hesitated on Bone Clocks because I've had several people tell me they really didn't like Cloud Atlas, but I've never given Mitchell a try myself. The premise is interesting and my library has it,..."

Oh, hell, this is the guy who wrote Cloud Atlas? I am not a lot less enthused about this read...

message 15: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1998 comments Mod
I doubt I'll read either of these, that'll make two months in a row that I have had zero interest in the books that have been selected. The Bone Clocks just doesn't seem interesting at all to me and I've already read Neuromancer, and didn't like it at all. Hope other people enjoy them.

message 16: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Wayland and Roger, feel free to lead some buddy reads if there was something else you hoped would win :)

message 17: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

Not so much something else I hoped for the win (although I didn't vote for either) just I really didn't enjoy Could Atlas and hadn't realized this was the same guy. I'll give it a whirl.

message 18: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments I think I'll pass on these too.
Neuromancer just sounds ok (I voted for Redshirts both times) and The Bone Clocks doesn't sound all that appealing either.
So I will content myself with the LotR buddy read next month :)

message 19: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1998 comments Mod
Maybe with such a large contingent that did vote for Redshirts, we should set up a buddy read. Anyone else interested?

message 20: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I'm interested.

message 21: by Paul, A wanderer in unknown realms (new)

Paul | 3524 comments Mod
I'm interested.

message 22: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Me too Paul. Well, that makes four of us.

message 23: by Margo (new)

Margo Wayland wrote: "Not so much something else I hoped for the win (although I didn't vote for either) just I really didn't enjoy Could Atlas and hadn't realized this was the same guy. I'll give it a whirl."

I really disliked Cloud Atlas but thought The Bone Clocks was middling to good. I'll be interested to take part in the discussion.

message 24: by ash (new)

ash (novellyrooted) | 12 comments I originally voted for Redshirts (and would be in favor of a buddy read) but I will read Neuromancer this month anyways.

message 25: by Fannie (new)

Fannie D'Ascola | 410 comments I just found The Bone Clocks and I'd like to participate in the discussion.

message 26: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments Roger wrote: "Maybe with such a large contingent that did vote for Redshirts, we should set up a buddy read. Anyone else interested?"

I would definitely be in for a Redshirts buddy read.

message 27: by Rinn, Captain of the SSV Normandy (new)

Also interested! Going to try and get hold of Neuromancer too though.

message 28: by Wayland, Ernest Scribbler (new)

I might try for Redshirts if I can make it fit in with everything else I'm doing and can get it from the library.

message 29: by Kirsty, Jedi Master (new)

Kirsty Cabot (kirstycabot) | 1884 comments Mod
I may make it through neuromancer - I've had it on kindle for ages. Once I've finished HP3...

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 427 comments I'm interested in a Redshirts buddy read

message 31: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 1129 comments I wasn't a huge fan of the Cloud Atlas film so I've got Bone Clocks on loan from the library. Again, not a book I would pick myself but I've found some interesting reads in the BOTM so I'm in. Neuromancer will be a re-read, but from many years ago. It will be interesting to see if the technology in the book still seems impressive in the present day.

message 32: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2804 comments Mod
I'd love to read Redshirts.

message 33: by Margo (new)

Margo Oh I've just read the synopsis for read shirts. I have to read it! If it's available on kinde I'd like to join the buddy read - I'll be miles behind thought as v slow reader ;)

message 34: by Margo (new)

Margo Woohoo! Got the audible version for acredit :-D

message 35: by Ryan (new)

Ryan I too will be using my Audible credit for Redshirts, Margo. I was going to go with Prince of Thorns but that might have to wait until next month.

message 36: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 641 comments I bought the kindle book, then added the audible version for just a few bucks more. That way I can switch back and forth if I so choose. That can be really convenient.

message 37: by Sincerely (new)

Sincerely Books (SincerelyBooks) On the subject of finding these books, does anyone happen to know any good used bookstores in Colorado?

message 38: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments Read Necromancer for a class. Interesting and then to make the comparisons between the movie the Matrix and the book is also interesting.

message 39: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 150 comments the bone clocks looks interesting.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.