Obsessed with True Crime discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > Things that worry me as a true crime reader

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3390 comments Mod
I worry that if someone in my building is murdered, the police will take one look at my bookcase and arrest me.

message 2: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12708 comments I worry that I'm not suspicious enough of people I know. And then I worry that I'm too suspicious. And then I feel I'm not suspicious enough. And let the mental ping pong begin.

message 3: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1100 comments I play the ping pong game as well and it drives me crazy.

message 4: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3390 comments Mod
Fishface wrote: "I worry that I'm not suspicious enough of people I know. And then I worry that I'm too suspicious. And then I feel I'm not suspicious enough. And let the mental ping pong begin."

message 5: by Shelley (last edited Feb 22, 2016 03:16PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments I am with Belleza. One look at my bookcase and I would be the number 1 suspect. lol I also see people and they will remind me of a murderer or even a serial killer I have read about. Makes going to the mall a bit more interesting though. :)

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Carpenter (emma2009) | 46 comments I worry about the evil thoughts that go through my head when I read a true crime book

message 7: by Rita (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1100 comments ♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Fishface wrote: "I worry that I'm not suspicious enough of people I know. And then I worry that I'm too suspicious. And then I feel I'm not suspicious enough. And let the mental ping pong begin."

"

She looks like me everyday....lol! I worry about everything including trying not to make a mistake on Goodreads. YIKES...!

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 1 comments I think my friends worry about me - I have no problem talking about my most recent true crime book or podcast over dinner.

message 9: by Rita (last edited Feb 23, 2016 01:39PM) (new)

Rita (crimesleuthjunkie) | 1100 comments Kathryn wrote: "I think my friends worry about me - I have no problem talking about my most recent true crime book or podcast over dinner."

My friends will listen and perhaps might be intrigued but not enough to want to read about it. I don't talk about it much though.

message 10: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12708 comments I read so much of the stuff that I have very little else to talk about. That can create a bit of a social problem.

message 11: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Apparently the majority of true crime fans are female. I think that surprises people. I know my friends and family are surprised by my interest in it. And, no, I don't talk to them about it much. I either get eye rolls or leery looks. lol

message 12: by Lenny (new)

Lenny (lenny_ray) | 2 comments People who think that there's something off about you if you're interested in this stuff worry me. They assume your interest puts you on the same level of, say, serial killer groupies. Personally, I don't see how wanting to understand the darker side of human nature [criminal psychology is my fave true crime subject] is disturbing. I think wanting to ignore it is far more disturbing. And, no, I'm not saying anyone who isn't into true crime is ignoring it. But automatically assuming anyone who is, is only in it for some vicarious thrill, is very strange. And, to me, it says more worrying things about the mind of the person doing the judging.

message 13: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Great comment, Lenny! I totally agree. I read about psychopathy and the psychology of violence, the "science of evil", etc. as much, if not more, than I do true crime. For me it's been a long term quest to understand the "why".

message 14: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1272 comments Fortunately I have a number of friends who understand why I read true crime, if they don't do it themselves, having come from the law enforcement and emergency medical services field. I think a lot of it is an interest in human behavior coupled with an interest in putting a puzzle together to come to a successful conclusion. This is a fairly common preference in LE officers, by the way - the desire to make order from chaos and understand it.

message 15: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12708 comments Shelley wrote: "Great comment, Lenny! I totally agree. I read about psychopathy and the psychology of violence, the "science of evil", etc. as much, if not more, than I do true crime. For me it's been a long term ..."

What Shelley said!

message 16: by A.r. (new)

A.r. | 61 comments Lenny wrote: "People who think that there's something off about you if you're interested in this stuff worry me. They assume your interest puts you on the same level of, say, serial killer groupies. Personally, ..."

Yep, I agree totally.

message 17: by Fishface (new)

Fishface | 12708 comments A.r. wrote: "Lenny wrote: "People who think that there's something off about you if you're interested in this stuff worry me. They assume your interest puts you on the same level of, say, serial killer groupies..."

Said the HIV researcher!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.