Romeo & Juliet Discussion Board discussion

Romeo and Juliet
This topic is about Romeo and Juliet
Why do Lords and Ladies of the families want to end the feud, yet their children and nephews refuse to?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Little (jamielittle) | 5 comments In Romeo and Juliet, the Lord Capulet and Montague do their best to end the fued. However, their children and nephews, refuse to obey. Why?

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily Harvey | 4 comments The Lords and Ladies of both families want to end the fued because it only results in death and trouble. Yet, the children and friends of the family do not because they were raised to think and act this way. So, they will continue to do so until something happens, like the death of Romeo and Juliet, to somewhat get along.

message 3: by Madelyn (new)

Madelyn Landry | 3 comments Um, where do you get that the Lords try to end the feud? It seemed to me that they seemed pretty mad at eachother as well. They weren't exactly setting a good example.
I mean, in the first scene, Lord Capulet says to his wife, "Give me my long sword,"(1.1.77.) at the first fight. Lord Montague responds with "Thou Villian Capulet- Hold me not; let me go." (1.1.81.)

So, I'm not entirly sure where you get the idea that the Lords wanting to end the feud comes from.

message 4: by Erika (new)

Erika | 2 comments The children are being rebelious. They want to defy their parents and do their own thing.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Little (jamielittle) | 5 comments Madelyn wrote: "Um, where do you get that the Lords try to end the feud? It seemed to me that they seemed pretty mad at eachother as well. They weren't exactly setting a good example.
I mean, in the first scene, L..."

Later in the book, Montague agrees with the prince to stop the senseless fighting. Even later, in the party, Lord Capulet refuses to let Tybalt fight Romeo.