On the Southern Literary Trail discussion

Lie Down in Darkness
This topic is about Lie Down in Darkness
Group Reads: Moderator's Choice > Lie Down in Darkness, by William Styron-April 2016

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Barnes | 3864 comments Mod
I was going to pick "The Fallen Land", but fortunately it was nominated and looks like it will be one of our April reads, getting a big majority of votes. So plan B is to go to the "Bridesmaids" list ( thank you Luanne for the descriptive tag).

This book has been nominated a couple of times and has come close, so let's give it a go. My pick for April is Lie Down in Darkness by William Styron.

message 2: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Kaso | 590 comments Darkness is a real theme for Styron.

Howard | 377 comments Diane wrote: "I was going to pick "The Fallen Land", but fortunately it was nominated and looks like it will be one of our April reads, getting a big majority of votes. So plan B is to go to the "Bridesmaids" li..."

Great choice, Diane.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Kaso | 590 comments I love Styron's writing. Looking forward to this, Diane.

message 5: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "I love Styron's writing. Looking forward to this, Diane."

Excellent choice, Diane. I also like LeAnne's description of previously nominated works as "The Bridesmaids" perfect. I chose The Awakening for my most recent Moderator's pick for the same reason. Laura similarly chose Strange Fruit by Lillian E. Smith which has been previously nominated.

Another method of handling the "also rans" is a poll, perhaps once a year taking the runners-up with the most votes. LeAnne also gets credit for that idea. Let us know what you think, please.

message 6: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (last edited Feb 22, 2016 08:14AM) (new)

Tom Mathews | 2502 comments Mod
I, too would have chosen Fallen Land for my moderator's choice in May if fate hadn't stepped in. I'll take a good look at this one.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Kaso | 590 comments I think all you moderators are doing a great job, making good choices. A poll @ the end of the year for the "also rans" sounds good, as well. I do not get to all the books every month, but I buy them all and read them afterwards if I do not get to them during the month. Sometimes I have to ration the "darkness" in my reading life, as recovering from my accident takes a lot of energy & I need books to brighten some days. I feel like a "sensitive plant" this year, the least shift can darken my mood. I used to have more tolerance for tough reads, but this year has knocked the stuffing out of me. However, I appreciate all your hard work and will keep reading with you. I love this community.

message 8: by Lawyer, "Moderator Emeritus" (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lawyer (goodreadscommm_sullivan) | 2699 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "I think all you moderators are doing a great job, making good choices. A poll @ the end of the year for the "also rans" sounds good, as well. I do not get to all the books every month, but I buy th..."

Kim, thank you for your kind words. We always want to be here to serve the readers.

message 9: by Tom, "Big Daddy" (new)

Tom Mathews | 2502 comments Mod
Kim wrote: "I think all you moderators are doing a great job, making good choices. "

I second Lawyer's expression of gratitude. It's an interesting responsibility to find a book that not only you want to read but that you believe other Trail riders would be interested in and that, in addition, meets the defined criteria of the group.

Kim wrote: "Sometimes I have to ration the "darkness" in my reading life, as recovering from my accident takes a lot of energy & I need books to brighten some days.."

I'm amazed that anyone would think that Cormac McCarthy was dark but I promise I'll try to find something that is more likely to brighten your day. (Note to self: Scratch Red River). Actually, I'm looking into one that might fit the bill nicely.

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Kaso | 590 comments I still want to read The Orchard Keeper, but my husband has not found my copy yet, and I cannot maneuver in the area where it is yet. The Road and No Country for Old Men are great reads, for example, I loved them. But not necessarily something I would read during a difficult period of my life. I loved The Bottoms, it had darkness and light. I love Faulkner, but he has some darkness. This is the first time I have been housebound, unable to walk for an hour to the water, unable to pick up and go. It has had various impacts, some I saw coming and some are surprises. Reading is a solace, but without other outlets, what I read seems to be distilled into very strong drink, indeed.

message 11: by Diane, "Miss Scarlett" (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane Barnes | 3864 comments Mod
Kim, I was housebound for 6 weeks a few years ago, and thought I would go crazy, even with so much time to read. I had a hard time getting involved in some books and needed lighter fare that didn't take as much effort. I have since re-read 2 or 3 books from that time and find that I have a completely different opinion of the book that at my first read. So I know what you mean.

"Lie Down in Darkness" was Styron's first book, supposedly the one Stingo was working on in "Sophie's Choice".

message 12: by Diane S ☔ (new)

Diane S ☔ Since I have already read Fallen land, will read this one which I have never read.

And please add my thank you'd to all you mods.