.. discussion

The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1)
This topic is about The 5th Wave
Rick Yancey > Lifespan of a Mayfly versus lifespan of Cassie

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kriti (last edited Feb 22, 2016 06:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kriti Kakar | 10 comments I just found out that a mayfly has the shortest lifespan, ranging from 30 minutes to one day... does this mean Cassie is going to die? Although she has lived for more than sixteen years, is this a signal that Mr. Yancey is going to kill her? I have a bad feeling about this...

Kimberly (candypie23) | 9 comments OMG...I hope not!!! Now I'm scared to read the last book!!! I cannot take another Insurgent ending

message 3: by Kriti (last edited Feb 22, 2016 06:41AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kriti Kakar | 10 comments Tammy wrote: "OMG...I hope not!!! Now I'm scared to read the last book!!! I cannot take another Insurgent ending"

Maybe I'm just overthinking... I don't want Cassie, Ben, Evan, and ESPECIALLY Sam to die. And if the others don't die as well, I'd be forever grateful...

Judy | 16 comments No, no, NO! I wish the movie was doing better so they would continue with book 2.

Judy | 16 comments Btw Tammy, I have become somewhat ok with the ending to Allegiant after hearing the author's reasoning but now I am wondering if the movie is going to go in a different direction. The previews certainly look different than the book.

message 6: by Lefty (last edited Feb 22, 2016 03:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lefty (leftywriter) | 4 comments I suppose it's possible he did some foreshadowing there, but I guess I personally sort of doubt it. Cassie kept using the cockroach analogy and Even turned it into a pretty mayfly. And considering the Others intended to kill off the human race, maybe he said mayfly because in the world they live in, it felt like it was only a matter of time before the last human, including Cassie would die.

However, Rick Yancey did say the last chapter/scene of The Last Star was between Ben and Sam. So that more than anything scares me. Like, if Cassie is still alive at the end, why wouldn't he end it with her? I'm all nervous for Cassie's fate now. I guess I'll just have to impatiently wait and see.

Kriti Kakar | 10 comments Kira wrote: "I suppose it's possible he did some foreshadowing there, but I guess I personally sort of doubt it. Cassie kept using the cockroach analogy and Even turned it into a pretty mayfly. And considering ..."
*IMPATIENT* Though I guess you're right.

Tiffany Mae | 10 comments o.o dude sad endings are the best! DIE CASSIE! DIE ^.^

Kimberly (candypie23) | 9 comments I would be so sad/mad if Cassie died in the end!!! I need Cassie and Evan!!!

Tiffany Mae | 10 comments Tammy wrote: "I would be so sad/mad if Cassie died in the end!!! I need Cassie and Evan!!!"

But think of how awesome a sad ending would be.

Kriti Kakar | 10 comments I beg to differ. I want Cassie and Evan to be together or if that's not possible Cassie and Ben. Both those ships need Cassie to sail and I'm sorry I don't want Ben and Evan to get together.

Kimberly (candypie23) | 9 comments Kriti I'm with YOU!!! I want Cassie and Evan together!!!! I need my ship to sail!!!! I seriously need Cassie to live!!!

Tiffany Mae | 10 comments Well, I could care less if Ben died. However, it would be a major heart break if Cassie died. BUT, think of the great pain we'd all receive from such a horrific brilliant writer! A standing ovation would be needed just because Cassie's death was written with such agonizing pain and drenched us all in misfortune! It's a brilliant ending to a brilliant book! Just think - a sad book ends in a sad way. I mean, come on you guys. 5 kids can't fight the aliens. They've outsmarted us for heavens sake! They turned our own race against one another!!! They've whipped out everyone else! They got US to do the dirty work! Now their coming to finish us off! It's beautifully played out!

Kimberly (candypie23) | 9 comments Nope I'm about LIFE...I need my character's to LIVE!!!!

Kimberly (candypie23) | 9 comments Nope I'm about LIFE...I need my character's to LIVE!!!!

Tiffany Mae | 10 comments Don't you see, it's not about what you want or any of us want. I truly don't want Cassie to die - It'd be extremely disturbing. However, she is the Mayfly & as we all know, mayfly's have a short life span. She's a teenager. She's going to die a teenager. Sick. Brutal. Harming you innocence. Disturbing. Crucial. Depressing. I'm sorry - but she's going to die in the Last Star.

Kriti Kakar | 10 comments xXxMaydayxXx wrote: "Don't you see, it's not about what you want or any of us want. I truly don't want Cassie to die - It'd be extremely disturbing. However, she is the Mayfly & as we all know, mayfly's have a short li..."

What of Evan then? I just like the "Together Forever" thing... and I'm a hopeless romantic so... LIVE! NOBODY DIES! MAY COME SOONER!

Michellyne (michylim) | 4 comments I hope Cassie and Ringer lives. Actually, I don't want anybody to die... But, I also believe that Yancey knows what he's doing in this series... Can't wait for the 3rd book!!!

Kriti Kakar | 10 comments *SPOILER ALERT* Guess I was right... It was heartbreaking though.

Michellyne (michylim) | 4 comments I was putting off reading the third book for now.... I guess I don't want to finish the story yet. But I'm getting more curious (and kind of nervous for my beloved characters) by the second..

message 21: by Lex (last edited Jun 06, 2016 04:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lex (likeliterallyliterary) | 194 comments Mod
Michellyne wrote: "I was putting off reading the third book for now.... I guess I don't want to finish the story yet. But I'm getting more curious (and kind of nervous for my beloved characters) by the second.."

I haven't read it yet either... I haven't even bought it yet and I think it's for the same reason! I don't want it to end! I actually only watched the movie adaptation about a week ago.

Cathi | 1 comments oh you haven't read the last book yet....I can't say more

Michellyne (michylim) | 4 comments Alexa wrote: "Michellyne wrote: "I was putting off reading the third book for now.... I guess I don't want to finish the story yet. But I'm getting more curious (and kind of nervous for my beloved characters) by..."

Curiosity got me... I am currently reading the third book... I haven't watched the movie adaptation yet. But I already have a copy. I guess I'm still preparing myself for whatever they did with the movie. I loved the first book too much.

message 24: by Judy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Judy | 16 comments Just finished! My granddaughter (12) read it in 3 days and couldn't wait for me to finish so we could discuss! SO GOOD! My son is a writer and avoids reading other authors because he doesn't want to inadvertently copy ideas. But I had to pick out some examples of the brilliant writing to show him! To me the only thing making this a YA book was the fact the main characters are teens. Very deep messages on humanity going on here!