It's Not Just a Book Club discussion

BOTM Discussion > Spoiler Discussion: The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keira (new)

Keira (keira_rogan) | 377 comments Mod
THIS IS A SPOILER ZONE.
Jackie will let you know how this discussion will be run.

message 2: by Keira (new)

Okay, well I found this good, interesting etc. but couldn't give it five stars because I found it too short to have a massive impact on me etc. I usually feels this way about graphic novels and short stories!

Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words) (jackey_oh) I can totally understand that perspective. It's really hard to get into short stories. It took me a long time to get over needing the extravagant details, and world building that comes with longer novels. Plus there is just something about growing with a character that is special.

message 4: by Keira (new)

Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words) wrote: "I can totally understand that perspective. It's really hard to get into short stories. It took me a long time to get over needing the extravagant details, and world building that comes with longer ..."

Exactly! I feel like short stories and graphic novels don't make me feel as hard, you know? So four stars, for sure, but not five stars.

Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words) (jackey_oh) I think that is a satisfactory rating.

Jacqueline (Fall In Love With The Sound of Words) (jackey_oh) I loved this story even more than I did the first time around; because I read it in an anthology with other amazing short stories. So it didn't really stand out. I probably would have given it a 3-4 star rating the first time around.

However, it was a solid 4 this time around. I adored the writing, adored the kick ass heroine, and adored the twist Gaiman chose at the end!

I do feel that this would have made an epic full length novel, but the length and the flow feels right.

message 7: by Ashley (last edited Mar 30, 2016 08:33PM) (new)

Ashley Jolly Vater | 65 comments I finally read this! Didn't take very long at all, so not sure why I didn't make myself pick it up sooner.

It was ok. I'm not a huge short story person, I usually just don't get them. Kind of like what you all are saying about lack of world building and needing more explanation.
It's honestly probably a 3, if that, but I don't know how to rate it. I enjoyed the writing and loved the artwork! However, I felt it was very anticlimactic. I had that feeling of, that's it? But maybe that's normal for all short stories. Also, I want to know why the Queen wasn't affected by the sleep. Obviously the dwarfs hold some sort of magic, but what about her?!

I'm assuming they also just decided not to go back to their old lives? To just walk off in the sunset in the opposite direction? Lol what about her fiance and WEDDING! That poor man. Too many things to think about!

message 8: by Keira (new)

Ashley wrote: "I finally read this! Didn't take very long at all, so not sure why I didn't make myself pick it up sooner.

It was ok. I'm not a huge short story person, I usually just don't get them. Kind of lik..."

Exactly, too much was left unsaid.