Reading the Chunksters discussion

Don Quixote
This topic is about Don Quixote
Archived 2014 Group Reads > Don Quixote - Reading Schedule

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (last edited Apr 29, 2014 04:17PM) (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) Reading Schedule:

The schedule was written based on this version of Don Quixote. No one is required to read this translation, but your page count per reading section may vary based on the translation you choose to read.

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Leader: Kristi

Week 1: 5/5 - Pt 1, Prologue-Ch VI
Week 2: 5/12 - Pt 1, Ch VII-XIV
Week 3: 5/19 - Pt 1, Ch XV-XX
Week 4: 5/26 - Pt 1, Ch XXI-XXV
Week 5: 6/2 - Pt 1, Ch XXVI-XXIX
Week 6: 6/9 - Pt 1, Ch XXX-XXXIV
Week 7: 6/16 - Pt 1, Ch XXXV-XL
Week 8: 6/23 - Pt 1, Ch XLI-XLVI
Week 9: 6/30 - Pt 1, Ch XLVII-LII
Week 10: *Break Week*
Week 11: 7/14 - Pt 2, Prologue-Ch VII
Week 12: 7/21 - Pt 2, Ch VIII-XV
Week 13: 7/28 - Pt 2, Ch XVI-XXII
Week 14: 8/4 - Pt 2, Ch XXIII-XXIX
Week 15: 8/11 - Pt 2, Ch XXX-XXXVI
Week 16: 8/18 - Pt 2, Ch XXXVII-XLV
Week 17: 8/25 - Pt 2, Ch XLVI-LII
Week 18: 9/1 - Pt 2, Ch LIII-LX
Week 19: 9/8 - Pt 2, Ch LXI-End

message 2: by Sandra (last edited Apr 30, 2014 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sandra Heinzman (vasandra) This edition is FREE on Goodreads! Just click on the book above, then "download" ebook.

Jason | 0 comments Actually, to clarify, the edition on Goodreads is the Ormsby translation from 1885. You can tell by looking at the Author's Preface.

Ormsby (1885): IDLE READER: thou mayest believe me without any oath

Where the Grossman translation (the one with the red cover shown in the picture and when you click the link)
Grossman (2003): Idle reader: Without my swearing to it, you can believe

So, it's sweet that you can get the book for free, but it's actually not the Grossman translation.

Andrea (tasseled) | 189 comments I originally borrowed Grossman's translation from the library (had to battle with two more people on a continuous hold streak for almost three months) and loved it so much, I got myself a copy to put on the shelf. Good stuff. Too bad I won't be reading it with you guys...

message 6: by Jess :) (new) - added it

Jess :) Nice! I'm so happy the group chose Don Quixote. I've been swamped lately (new job, new house, traveling constantly since Feb... ) but I'm going to try very hard to join the group for this. Though I suppose I should catch up with Les Mis first. :)

message 7: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (kristina3880) I finally will be able to start reading this book this weekend. Looking forward to playing catch up.