Support for Indie Authors discussion

Archived Author Help > Epub versions -Is it safe to send?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 36 comments Is it safe for authors to send an epub version of our books out for reviews?
I gifted a reviewer with a kindle version thro Amazon, but now she said she doesn't accept gifts and want an epub version. What to do?

message 2: by Denise (last edited Feb 21, 2016 11:52PM) (new)

Denise Baer If you're asking if it's safe to send without someone giving it to others or pirating it, the answer is, there's no guarantee either will happen. But sometimes, eBooks are the best way to submit for review and some places only accept eBook form. It's up to you whether you feel comfortable sending out.

Best of luck!
Denise

message 3: by G.G. (last edited Feb 21, 2016 11:54PM) (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments People who publish through Smashwords don't have the DMR 'protection' so anyone who buys a book could virtually share it with others. It's no different than gifting an ePub for a review.

I guess it's a risk you'll have to take if you want that person to review your book. I personally gifted ePubs for read and review programs in the past.

(Edited to correct a typo)

message 4: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 36 comments Thanks Denise and G.G. Now for the next question. How do I gift the epub thro Amazon?

message 5: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 36 comments Thanks guys, really appreciate your input.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yolanda,

I sent out a lot of copies, PDF, EPUB and MOBI's of my first book and they ended up on pirate sites. I know people who have never sent out copies for review and their books are on pirate sites. If someone wants to break the code they will, whether it's a review copy or downloaded from Amazon smashwords etc.
What I do now is watermark the copies I send out with the reviewers name. That way, if it does end up on a pirate site at least the honest genuine reviewer is protected, and there is a chance of tracing it back to the culprit. Name and shame!

message 7: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer D.M. wrote: "What I do now is watermark the copies I send out with the reviewers name. That way, if it does end up on a pirate site at least the honest genuine reviewer is protected, and there is a chance of tracing it back to the culprit. Name and shame!
"

That is actually a great idea. How do you actually do this to review copies? I'm interested.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I create the watermark in my word doc first then convert to the file format the reviewer wants.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/05/29...

message 9: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer D.M. wrote: "I create the watermark in my word doc first then convert to the file format the reviewer wants.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/05/29..."

Thanks. Has the reviewer ever complained about the watermark?

message 10: by Zoltán (new)

Zoltán (witchhunter) | 267 comments Yolanda,

This is a digital world. Once the book is out, it has the potential to turn up in piracy sources. Whether you publish it in online stores or send it out as an attachment. For example, you can export the books you bought on Amazon, DRM free and is ready for upload to any place. This is a windmill chase you cannot win.

To understand the situation, you should see who what your primary market is and what 'loosing' mean. Most people in markets where there is a reasonable income will buy a book. Because they can afford it, it's easier to purchase it with a few clicks, want to reward the author and most people do follow some ethics and buy what they want to have.

In places where they cannot afford it, there are two possibilities. Never read your book. Download it from some source. The point is that you won't get income either way. If someone in a poor country just downloads your book, you will not gain any money, but won't loose any either.

There is point to have a reasonable amount of caution (eg. don't leave free download links around), but being paranoid about it is pointless.

I don't have sources to back this up, but I think that if you have your book turning up on pirate sites, that will also work as an advertisement, because it will mean that there is demand for it.

Just my two cents in the matter. :)

@Denise: You can put additional fields in epubs too. It might help to find reviewers you want to avoid in the future.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Denise wrote: "D.M. wrote: "I create the watermark in my word doc first then convert to the file format the reviewer wants.

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/05/29..."..."

No, the majority of reviewers know the score, they don't want to be associated with the 'not so honest' ones.

message 12: by Bethany (new)

Bethany Camille James (mymastersministry) | 4 comments I would like to watermark my eBook files before they get reviewed. I am wondering how I get the watermark on the files if it is created in Word. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

Bethany, once you watermark the word doc, the watermark stays there when you change it to the required file.

message 14: by Charles (new)

Charles Hash | 1054 comments Something something about omelets and breaking eggs, or no rewards without risk, and junk and stuff.

message 15: by Lee (new)

Lee Bice-Matheson | 1 comments D.M. wrote: "Yolanda,

I sent out a lot of copies, PDF, EPUB and MOBI's of my first book and they ended up on pirate sites. I know people who have never sent out copies for review and their books are on pirate ..."

Great advice!! We sent out PDF, EPUB and MOBI files of our second book, Destiny's Gate, and it ended up on many pirated sites. It was on average downloaded more than 300x per month for over a year on one site alone. My publicist said 'oh well, at least it's in demand.' I will do the watermark on our third novel. Thank you so much.
Best,
Lee

message 16: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Almost every single review I've gotten for Everyone Dies At The End is from Mobi, Epub, or PDF copies. I don't worry about piracy, because as someone else has pointed out, if you're being pirated you're in demand.
I'm hoping some exec reads a pirated copy of my book, says the same as some reviewers, and makes it into a movie or tv show.

message 17: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Piracy is not going to damage your product, and may actually boost sales! That's why we indies give away books!

If a million people pirate your book and talk about it, you are going to get some nice sales.

People stealing your book is annoying, but I suggest that you don't fret over it.

message 18: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (whatmatters) | 124 comments Yolanda wrote: "Is it safe for authors to send an epub version of our books out for reviews?
I gifted a reviewer with a kindle version thro Amazon, but now she said she doesn't accept gifts and want an epub versio..."

A different approach:
You put a significant amount of work into your book. I would look for terms that benefit both parties. Rather than gifting a copy, you could drop the kindle price to $0.00 for day or two and inform the reviewer. You will also pick up the equivalent of a sale towards your book ranking.

Yes, the DRM can be stripped, but it takes more effort than merely copy/pasting.

message 19: by Yolanda (new)

Yolanda Ramos (yramosseventhsentinel) | 36 comments My first book was up on two pirate sites and I asked them to take it down and they did. Thanks for all your input guys.

message 20: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer Zoltán wrote: "@Denise: You can put additional fields in epubs too. It might help to find reviewers you want to avoid in the future. "

Thanks so much. I'm definitely going to look into watermarks and the fields you suggested.

message 21: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Tamara wrote: "No one is going to buy something they can download for free."

Well, that is not really how it is. The books are on sale on legitimate sites, and possibly for free on pirate sites. Not all readers will go for the pirate site.

I would wager that if a million people pirate your book, you will make some nice money and probably land a film deal.

You will not saturate the market with pirated copies of your book and receive nothing.

message 22: by Kat (last edited Feb 24, 2016 06:51AM) (new)

Kat Most normal people are pretty honest and will buy books via normal sales channels.

Most reviewers are pretty honest too and won't do anything untoward with their copies.

Most pirate sites that advertise stolen ebooks are phishing scams and don't actually have a copy of that book at all.

Most normal people do not know how to find the real pirate sites that really have a copy of a book to download, and a lot of people don't know what a torrent is or how to get it to work. It would be much easier to just buy the book.

Most people who DO use real pirate sites (with real downloads) will not go and buy your book just because it is not available from the pirate site. They will just download another book instead if all they're after is a free book.

That's a lost of "Most..."'s to consider.

Personally, I do not bother with watermarks or such.

message 23: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 2491 comments Kat wrote: "Most people who DO use real pirate sites (with real downloads) will not go and buy your book just because it is not available from the pirate site. They will just download another book instead if all they're after is a free book..."

Exactly! They are not interested in paying a dime for what they see so no sale would be lost.

message 24: by Riley, Viking Extraordinaire (new)

Riley Amos Westbrook (sonshinegreene) | 1510 comments Mod
Tamara wrote: "Unless the Pirate makes the film and takes the money?"

,,,if you are being pirated, that means they're taking your book (With your name on it) and putting it on other sites.
So the copyright would still be yours...

message 25: by Kat (last edited Feb 24, 2016 10:04AM) (new)

Kat Tamara wrote: "Unless the Pirate makes the film and takes the money?"

No real filmmaker, large or small, would leave themselves open to lawsuits by making a film without securing the rights from the copyright holder first.

Somebody making a home video version of a pirated book with a GoPro and charging his neighbours for a viewing will be the best free advertising for that book you can get in that neighbourhood.

:)

message 26: by Andrew (last edited Feb 25, 2016 01:36PM) (new)

Andrew (whatmatters) | 124 comments I found one site offering a free PDF download with a brief broken English review, then found the same review for a number of others. Of course if you want the download, you need to join the site, along with your personal info. I assume they have the PDF preview from a POD site I used.

Another site had a forum with someone making a specific request for my novel and several torrent type sites followed, which was actually a bit of a lift that this guy was tracking it down.

Nevertheless, I do want to keep it to a minimum.

message 27: by Anthony Deeney (new)

Anthony Deeney | 437 comments Charles wrote: "Something something about omelets and breaking eggs, or no rewards without risk, and junk and stuff."

LOL!

I hear you, Charles! A very profound observation!