Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

A Clash of Kings  (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)
This topic is about A Clash of Kings
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
A Clash of Kings Discussions > 46 ~ Bran VI *** Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roseanne, RRRM (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
46 ~ Bran VI *** Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

message 2: by Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition (last edited Apr 05, 2016 03:37PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition This chapter is why I hate Theon.

message 3: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new) - rated it 4 stars

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
Yeah he is being a d--k!

As far as him being kept at Winterfell for years, I think he was treated well there...Hardly a prisoner, and close to a sibling to the Stark kids. So I don't think he is behaving this way as revenge on the Starks.

I think he is behaving this way because of all the crappy treatment he got back at Pyke by those who didn't recognize him or who did recognize him and didn't treat him well. He is feeling crappy about himself and is doing to those at Winterfell what has been done to him at Pyke-but worse. He felt like a nobody back home but here he wants to feel like a Lord. That is the kind of thing bullies do. Well, or else he is just a giant d--k. There is always that possibility too.

LENA TRAK | 221 comments There's no excuse for what he did... A weak man who thinks that the whole universe revolves around him. What an idiot... Theon will have to do somehting huge- such as save the life of one of my favourite characters-to be redeemed..

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Don't count on it..

LENA TRAK | 221 comments Terry wrote: "Don't count on it.."

Yes Terry , it's highly unlikely :/

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments thoughts while reading:
I think it's kind of cute that as a wolf, he's remembering things from when he was able climb. (not sure if cute is the right word though...)
I completely understand that no one really saw that coming. Even Robb trusted Theon. :(
"Cruel places bread cruel peoples, Bran, remember that as you deal with these ironmen."
Poor Hodor. :(

message 8: by Ria (last edited Apr 22, 2016 11:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments We have this saying in Bulgarian when someone is being uncivilised - we say that "the first seven (years) are missing". This expression stems from the belief that the first seven years are the most important ones in a child's upbrigning and that it is almost impossible to change the way you've been brought up during those seven years. Well, Theon was ten when he was taken to Winderfell, so his actions should perhaps be judged according to the ironmen's ways, not the Starks'. Pyke is ruled by different moral laws and in the terms of those laws being an incapable craven (aka a p***y), which is precisely how they seem to think of Theon, is unforgivable. On the other hand, to the Starks the part of Theon that is still ironman, is brutal and savage. So he is caught between these two opposite moralities and that's what makes his character so tragic.

Whether he chooses Stark or Greyjoy, he's trying to find his place in a community where he will always be an outsider. So, in my opinion, the force that has always driven Theon is that he wants to belong to a community and to be respected within it. He is torn by the decisions that he has to make or has made, which in my opinion makes him one of the most interesting and complicated characters within the books.

And don't get me wrong, I'm team Stark all the way, but you have to admit, the way he took Winterfell was actually pretty smart. Plus, Robb can be a complete idiot at times. Catelyn was right to warn him not to send Theon, but he didn't listen.

Also, why are they hurting Hodor? ;;A;; Morons.

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new) - rated it 4 stars

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
Ria wrote: "We have this saying in Bulgarian when someone is being uncivilised - we say that "the first seven (years) are missing". This expression stems from the belief that the first seven years are the most..."

"the first seven (years) are missing". I like that and do believe it to be pretty true.

I do agree that Theon will always be an outsider. He does not fit in with either house and never will.

As far as your spoiler: (view spoiler)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Regarding the question about Reek/ Ramsey /Theon - it will be answered in Theon VI, chapter 66 or 67.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.