Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

A Clash of Kings  (A Song of Ice and Fire, #2)
This topic is about A Clash of Kings
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
A Clash of Kings Discussions > 23 ~ Jon III *** Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roseanne, RRRM (new) - rated it 5 stars

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
23 ~ Jon III *** Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

message 2: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new) - rated it 4 stars

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
"Jon shooed the raven off Longclaw. The bird hopped back to Mormont's shoulder where it promptly shat. You might have done that on Snow instead of saving it for me the Old Bear grumbled."

I did find this part quite funny. It must be karma for Mormont's dragging the raven out in the rain. Well done raven!!!

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I understand it would be awkward to have a pregnant girl along with them, but it was kind of heartless of Jon to refuse her.

message 4: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new) - rated it 4 stars

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
I kind of understand his decision. He is dedicated to his vows and the Night's Watch. He only did as he has been trained to do. It does not mean he agrees with the rules. It just means he has to follow them.

But yeah I see your point for sure.

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments thoughts while reading:
It's kind of creepy that Craster marries his daughters to make more daughters.
"What do free folk want with kings?"
I'm curious to know how many Starks Craster has seen to know that Jon 'has the look of a Stark'. I know he's seen Benjen, but is that all?
I wonder why Craster lied about seeing the wights and why he gives them his sons.
"We cannot set the world to rights. That is not our purpose. The Night's Watch has other wars to fight."
"Three hundred, thought Jon, against the fury of the wild."
I feel like there is real trouble brewing North of the Wall, but no one else but Mormont and the Night's Watch realize this. The others are just focused on their own little battles instead of the truly important war that seems to be coming.

message 6: by Ria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Terry wrote: "I understand it would be awkward to have a pregnant girl along with them, but it was kind of heartless of Jon to refuse her."

Not only would it be awkward, it would also be dangerous. They're not going back to the Wall right away, so what will happen to her should they be attacked? Even if they don't (get attacked), at least at Craster's she has a roof above her head, a relatively certain source of food and a fire to warm her. Imagine a pregnant woman in these harsh woods with the rain and the cold. It's dangerous for the baby. I know Jon wasn't thinking along these lines, but it's still a valid point. And what if she miscarries while they're travelling? What's the point of the whole endeavour then? Jon made the right choice, for both of them. Plus, she can't know for sure if it's a boy or a girl. I understand why he'd want to help her, I'd want to do so, too, but right now there's nothing he can do. Maybe, just maybe, when/if they come back, but why make promises he can't keep?

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Ria wrote: "Terry wrote: "I understand it would be awkward to have a pregnant girl along with them, but it was kind of heartless of Jon to refuse her."

Not only would it be awkward, it would also be dangerous..."

That's true

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.