Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
A Clash of Kings Discussions > 10 ~ Davos I *** Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
10 ~ Davos I *** Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

message 2: by Amie (new)

Amie Merker | 7 comments His character has never been all that interesting to me, but I do appreciate his perspective on Stannis, who is a mystery.

message 3: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
I am 1/2 way though this chapter and have this to say:

This chapter gives the book a bad name. For people that did not like Book #2 I kind of question if this is about the spot you decided this book is not your favorite. This chapter seems a little hard to follow. There are lots of weird things going on and I don't understand them. There are some new characters and it can feel confusing.

This, in no way, deters me from continuing. All books need character intros and such. From the tv show I already know that I like Davos and Stannis so I gotta' go; more to read!

message 4: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 221 comments I thought I was the only one feeling a bit baffled..I found this chapter rather confusing too. George never introduces one character at a time. I had to read a few parts twice.. but I didn't mind. I do this quite often but i think this is only because English is not my mother language.

message 5: by LENA (new)

LENA TRAK | 221 comments Stannis is such a cold man..He seems to be the rightful heir to the throne so far... but I really hate the fact that he relies completely on the Red Lady..And the way he talks about his brother Renly, or even Ned Stark the very man who died suporting his right to the throne... Ohhhhh I really don't like Stannis..

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Stannis and his clan or house is my least favorite. I feel like I don' t know enough about the rest of his family to form a real opinion.

message 7: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments I want to know more about Moonboy or whatever the Fool's name was, but that's most likely not happening. I'm crying on the inside.

Davos is boring and Stannis is a cold humourless whiny prick. But I like both of them.

message 8: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments thoughts while reading:
I can definitely understand the uneasiness of going against the gods they grew up with.
I am really curious why Davos thinks his fingers are good luck. Maybe because they represent his journey of going from nothing to (almost) everything?
I feel like this was such a set up with the burning sword. I don't think it was the real deal.
Davos helped stop the siege and saved all these lives, but is still hardcore looked down upon.
Why do the Queen's men need seasoned wood?
"This world is twisted beyond hope, when lowborn smugglers must vouch for the honor of kings."
I can see it becoming a problem later the Davos can't read. Stannis already didn't seem to be fan of that fact.
I think Davos had a valid point that Stannis may alienate a lot of people by discounting their gods.

message 9: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments This chapter was a long one and definitely on the boring side. I can see this being an important point for those deciding if they want to continue reading or not.

message 10: by Brendan (new)

Brendan | 133 comments Mod
Wow what a chapter. I agree with Leslie, it is a confusing chapter. I have two comments with this chapter. The making of Lightbringer is quite disturbing. The forger of Lightsaber had to be clinically insane to thrust a sword into his wife. Similarly she had to be crazy to be willing to be sacrificed. Lastly I thought it was brilliant how George RR Martin used the birds that the Baratheon brothers owned to metaphorically describe their personalities. BRILLIANT!!!!

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.