Read A Song Of Ice And Fire 2016 discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
A Clash of Kings Discussions > 9 ~ Arya III *** Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

Roseanne | 674 comments Mod
9 ~ Arya III *** Discuss only this chapter and anything prior

message 2: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie)   | 1283 comments Mod
When Arya snuck off to go to the bathroom in the bush the wolves looked at her and left her alone. They did not attack.

I know that they were just regular wolves, not dire wolves, but do you think that they left her alone because she is a Stark with the dire wolf sigil or were they just not hungry?

message 3: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments thoughts while reading:
Arya insisting Ned only had ONE bastard kind of amuses me. Why does she think he only stopped at one? (Ned was really honorable so I believe it, just curious that everyone one would believe he had one but not anymore than one. If he was dishonorable enough to have one-why not stop there?)
I wonder why the common people have basically turned against the Night's Watch.
I wonder why the wolves didn't go after Arya. If everything is being burned, they must be as hungry as all the people are.

message 4: by Ria (new)

Ria (ban1chka) | 440 comments Brianna, I've had the same thoughts.

Maybe people believe him because he took Jon in, which means he's showing regret for dishonoring himself and his wife. Plus, if there are any other bastards, he's admitted to having fathered one of them already, why not the others?

I hate the way everybody treats the Night's Watch. I do understand the common people, since most of the Watch are now theaves, rapists and murderers. But the highborn have forgotten what the Wall is for. It's their fault, the commoners are just following their example. The lords and ladies should know better.

There was some talk about a big wolf roaming the lands in the Neck and organising the other wolves and I remember Arya thinking it was Nymeria. I assume she's right and somehow this is connected to her surviving the encounter with the wolves.

PS. I've honestly forgotten this part of the book, so it's a bit like I'm reading it for the first time.

message 5: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (last edited Mar 12, 2016 05:19PM) (new)

I think Ned only has the one bastard child. In my wacky mind he is a noble and stand up guy who has learned from his mistake. It is naive of me to think this, but it is my story and I am sticking to it.

message 6: by Brianna (last edited Mar 13, 2016 12:22PM) (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 562 comments I agree that he probably only has one (if Jon is even his son... I feel like he is almost too honorable to have ONE bastard). I feel like if he did have more, he would step up and claim them also.
I feel like the way they've been treating the Night's Watch is going to bite them in the ass later on.

message 7: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I don't believe Jon is Ned's son.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I think Ned was so honorable that he brought up Jon as one of his own and was honoring a big secret as a favor for a friend. The secret was so big that he would rather have Catelyn think he was unfaithful to her (which I can't believe he ever was)
I think Jon is actually an heir of some endangered royalty that we don't know about yet. That is why Ned stopped all discussion and was like a stone wall whenever anyone mentioned anything about Jon. Don't ask me to prove anything because I can't.

message 9: by Roseanne, RRRM (new)

I agree I think Ned is protecting someone else's secret. Dont read this if you dont want to know my crazy theory. I have no idea if I am right or not but (view spoiler)

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition Roseanne wrote: "I agree I think Ned is protecting someone else's secret. Dont read this if you dont want to know my crazy theory. I have no idea if I am right or not but [spoilers removed]"

YES(view spoiler)

message 11: by Brendan (new)

Brendan | 133 comments Mod
Got to give it to Arya once again. She is one tough cookie!!! The whole scene with the wolves intrigued me. I was hoping it was her direwolf, but deep down I knew it wasn't. I am amazed though that there aren't more Lannister guards where she is then in other parts of Westros. Moving on to the Davos chapter tomorrow. Can't wait!!!

message 12: by Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (Leslie), Not_Your_Typical_Lannister (new)

Maybe one of the wolves was Logan.

message 13: by Harold (new)

Harold (hrad) I keep thinking that the wolves are led by her direwolf. They may be regular wolves but they seem smart enough to be almost like a community. That is why they left here alone when she was in the woods.

Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition I think Nymernia is the leader of a wolf pack we will see later on, in another book. I can't believe the author would introduce the direwolves and have one for each Stark child, then just forget about them.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.