Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat: and Other Clinical Tales
Book Issues > Merge and combine request

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rafał Rzepecki (divide) | 7 comments I separated out those triplicated editions that refer to the same one (ASIN B0051VJH84 on Audible === B005745MYI on Amazon.com), but I can't merge them due to too many reviews. I need a superlibrarian to delete the duplicates and combine this back into the main book. Thanks!

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Different ASINs are different editions, so should not be merged. The one without an ASIN can be merged by a super, but there is a special thread for that: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Posting there prevents that non-superlibrarians waste time looking at this thread :P

Rafał Rzepecki (divide) | 7 comments Those are the same edition so far as I can tell -- the Amazon page for that ASIN links to the Audible edition for the other one (and if you try a google search for the Audible ASIN it's pretty much only used on Audible) -- weird, I know. Perhaps one is with whispersync for voice or something like that.

Thanks for the tip on the thread, I'm kinda new on those forums!

message 4: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulaan) | 7029 comments Got 1

Rafał Rzepecki (divide) | 7 comments Thanks! I'm still confused about the other one. I'm positive it's the same one -- which should I review?

Rafał Rzepecki (divide) | 7 comments It seems in general Audible books have different ASINs on Amazon.com and Audible.com. Another example: "Dream Park" by Larry Niven is B004KSS82A on Amazon.com; I just bought it, but B004JK676I showed up in my Audible library. I think the latter might be an internal Audible.com ASIN (it's not actually shown anywhere except the URL AFAICT).

message 7: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Different ASINs are never deleted, they may well have been both valid at some point (or still are?).

I'd pick the one with the ASIN that your edition has, shouldn't it be stated somewhere? (Sorry, I know nothing about audiobooks.)

Anyway, welcome Rafał, and a super found this thread so all is well :)

Rafał Rzepecki (divide) | 7 comments The edition I have has a different ASIN on my Amazon page and another on my Audible page, hence my confusion :)

message 9: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13747 comments Hopefully somebody else will know, because I have no idea! :)

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

rivka | 43570 comments Mod
Rafał wrote: "It seems in general Audible books have different ASINs on Amazon.com and Audible.com."

Yes.

Rafał Rzepecki (divide) | 7 comments rivka wrote: "Rafał wrote: "It seems in general Audible books have different ASINs on Amazon.com and Audible.com."

Yes."

So which ASIN should go in the metadata here? Or should there be two entries (which seems wrong to me, since they refer to the same edition)?

If the consensus is merge, can you clean up at least this one book? The two records in question are https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... and
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 12: by Michael (new)

Michael Korleone (michaelkorleone) | 3881 comments Err, shouldn't we have two different entries for both ASINs? This way, users can locate the Amazon ASIN on Amazon store and Audible ASIN on Audible store (if they configured both these online stores as this is user specific).

Just a thought, not really familiar with Audible editions..

message 13: by Arenda (new)

Arenda | 20804 comments Michael wrote: "Err, shouldn't we have two different entries for both ASINs? This way, users can locate the Amazon ASIN on Amazon store and Audible ASIN on Audible store (if they configured both these online store..."

Yes, both ASIN's can stay, no merge.