Shreveport/Bossier Readers Club discussion

Let's Get Sarted!

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Taylor (thomastaylor) No one's started a discussion on anything, so I decided to get something started. And... Here we go... I read "The Sword of the South" not long ago and realized it was continuation of a four book series David Weber had written a few years ago. "The Sword of the South" was so good, I decided I'd go back and read the original four book series. I just finished "The Oath of Swords", the first book and it was as good as I expected it to be. I'm now going to read the second book in the series; "The War God's Own". Okay, let's talk about this, or anything else you'd care to talk about. I'm always open to new good books and authors.

message 2: by Christy (last edited Mar 01, 2016 06:07AM) (new)

Christy (clumm) | 3 comments Hi, I just joined the Shreveport group. My favorite genre is fantasy, but I dabble in all types of reads. I was at my good friends house the other day checking out her book collection and she couldn't believe I haven't read "Confederacy for Dunces". Its a humor/comedy book based out of New Orleans. She said its an old-e but goodie and I have to read it. So, that's what Iv been reading as of last night. I also am finishing the 5th book of the outlander series (best series EVER), not to mention Starz has made the book into a TV series. I had tried to get into the "house of night series" a teen based vampire series that my friend also said was a must, but Im having a hard time finishing the first book, to me its very elementary....and one else tried this series? What is everyone reading now?

message 3: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Taylor (thomastaylor) Hi Christy, Your friend is right about, "A Confederacy of Dunces", it's one of my all time favorite books, it's not fantasy but it's still really good. I'm reading the 3rd book in David Weber's War God series and I'm liking it. I'm reading this series to give me a break from The Sword of Truth series (I've read the first four of those) there are 15 books in that series, it's by Terry Goodkind. My favorites right now are fantasy also but I read almost all genres. I'm happy to see you continuing the thread on here and I hope others will do the same.

message 4: by Christy (new)

Christy (clumm) | 3 comments Thomas wrote: "Hi Christy, Your friend is right about, "A Confederacy of Dunces", it's one of my all time favorite books, it's not fantasy but it's still really good. I'm reading the 3rd book in David Weber's War..."

Hi, Thomas
Which is your favorite War Gods or Sword of Truth and why? I have read the first 3.5 books of G.O.thrones and they are good but they are so long and skip around so much and with so many characters that it was became somewhat a chore to follow. are these series like that? thanks :)

message 5: by Trish (new)

Trish Carter | 1 comments I am generally a dystopian fiction/YA reader. But one series that I so thoroughly enjoyed and should be on the top of everyone's 'must read' list is The Kingkiller Chronicles. We're very big on audiobooks in my family- do yourself a favor and if you don't already have an Audible account, get one and make that your first purchase. I can't speak highly enough of it. All I can do is promise you won't regret it!

message 6: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (cmora) | 4 comments how is everyone doing with their reading challenges? I've almost got my hundred :-)

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I mostly read Sci-fi, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, and Horror myself. One of my favorites I've read recently was Hyperion, really looking forward to reading the rest of the series!

Celeste wrote: "how is everyone doing with their reading challenges? I've almost got my hundred :-)"

I met my challenge for 2016, set it a little higher this year but I'm still not near 100!

message 8: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (cmora) | 4 comments nice! that one will be going on my list. I just finished up an orson Scott card series called mothers mages. it was pretty awesome.

message 9: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (cmora) | 4 comments and that's great about the book challenge! the point of it is to challenge yourself! I did 107 books last year. this year my goal is 150 but I'll be happy if I can hit 125. bc for me that's a Serious challenge haha

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) Celeste wrote: "nice! that one will be going on my list. I just finished up an orson Scott card series called mothers mages. it was pretty awesome."

Haven't read that series, will have to check it out.

message 11: by Celeste (new)

Celeste (cmora) | 4 comments mither mages.... not mother mages. auto correct strikes again

Nikki ~ The Nocturnal Bookworm (nyxreadsstuff) I read Motherfucking Sharks to start off this year and just finished The Windup Girl a couple nights ago.

Currently reading The Day of the Triffids and The Mask of Sanity

Motherfucking Sharks by Brian Allen Carr The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham The Mask of Sanity by Jacob M. Appel

Anyone read these books?