Fringe Fiction Unlimited discussion

Questions/Help Section > Where Do You Find Books

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina Roberts For those of you wonderful people who are reading self-published novels, where are you finding books to read? I'm thinking if we look at the different ways of finding a book, it can help us with marketing.

As for me...

If someone says something interesting on a message board, I'll look at their profile to see if they're an author and try to determine if they're self-published. Then I see if they've written anything that might interest me. I'm more open-minded about adding the book to my to-read list if the book is 99 cents or free If it costs more than that, I'm a little more picky.

The other place I look is my update page. I see books when my friends review them, or when they "like" a review one of their friends has written. I also see books when people add them to their to read list, and all that.

I haven't yet looked much into the message boards that are specifically used for promoting books. Maybe I will in the future.

So...what about you?

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Recommendations, from friends and acquaintances. It makes no difference to me where the book is being sold or in which format, digital or print.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Benavidez | 1696 comments Mosrly from this group Lol. I've been trying to expand my horizons a bit, but I'm still picky. I see a person wrote a book, I find a 3star review read part of it and make a descision. Though I'm very lenient with books

message 4: by Dina (new)

Dina Roberts Lily wrote: "Recommendations, from friends and acquaintances. It makes no difference to me where the book is being sold or in which format, digital or print."

What do you do after you get the recommendation? Do you read the book no matter what? Or do you do further research?

Do you listen to some friends more than others...well, in terms of recommending books?

What if a friend recommends a book and you don't like it? Are you hesitant when it comes to further recommendations from them?

message 5: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) Dina wrote: "Lily wrote: "Recommendations, from friends and acquaintances. It makes no difference to me where the book is being sold or in which format, digital or print."

What do you do after you get the reco..."

I'll read the blurb, the first page, then decide if I want to or not.

If a friend recommends a book that I've decided I'm not interested in, then I just politely decline. Thanks, but not for me. Though, that doesn't happen, beccause my friends are usually as weird as I am.

message 6: by Dina (new)

Dina Roberts Michael wrote: "Mosrly from this group Lol. I've been trying to expand my horizons a bit, but I'm still picky. I see a person wrote a book, I find a 3star review read part of it and make a descision. Though I'm ve..."

I like the idea of reading three star reviews.

message 7: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments Recommendations from a couple of my groups on this site, friends, my fav bloggers and Smashword.

message 8: by Dina (new)

Dina Roberts Shari-amor wrote: "Recommendations from a couple of my groups on this site, friends, my fav bloggers and Smashword."

I haven't spent a lot of time on Smashword yet. I need to look into that!

What are your favorite blogs? If you don't mind me asking

message 9: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments SBC, Elle's Book Blogs, Bookie Nookie, Moonrise, Horror After Dark. I can't think of any of my paranormal blogs right now.

message 10: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments I just started to get into smashword. Most of my indie romance/erotica authors are on there. My indie horror/paranormal authors are for the most part on amazon. Whenever I buy their books, I also use that "What others have checked out/purchased" feature. That'll lead me to other indie authors

message 11: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand My answer won't be much help for marketing. I go to the Amazon kindle store, get into a genre I like, sort everything from newest to oldest, go to a random page, click on things that look interesting, and then read the sample and decide if it's worth my time.

message 12: by Dina (new)

Dina Roberts Virginia wrote: "My answer won't be much help for marketing. I go to the Amazon kindle store, get into a genre I like, sort everything from newest to oldest, go to a random page, click on things that look interesti..."

It might not help with marketing, but it's still insightful. I like knowing that someone might find my book simply by browsing through listings.

What you do is a little bit like what I do when finding my mainstream readings. Each time we go to the library, I get a few books that I've written down as wanting to read. But then I also go to the adult fiction section; and each visit I go to the next shelf (from the last time we visited) look through all the books, and pick one book from that shelf.

I'm curious. How do you choose your random page?

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) | 1352 comments Mod
I usually find the books I want to read right here on Goodreads. From threads, recommendations(sometimes) or even browsing.

message 14: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand Dina wrote: "I'm curious. How do you choose your random page? "

A combination of using the page changer at the bottom and playing with the http thing. They don't make it easy. If I could change one thing on Amazon I'd add a browse function. :-(

message 15: by Shari (new)

Shari Sakurai (shari_sakurai) | 87 comments I mainly find books from goodreads or recommendations from friends. I often just spend ages browsing on amazon too.

message 16: by ★Moonrise (new)

★Moonrise (moonrisebookblog) | 236 comments Shari-amor wrote: "SBC, Elle's Book Blogs, Bookie Nookie, Moonrise, Horror After Dark. I can't think of any of my paranormal blogs right now."

Just saw this! Thanks Shari-amor! *hugs*

message 17: by Shari-amor (new)

Shari-amor | 1348 comments *Wonder Woman Hugs*

I get great recs from you and the deals you share are wicked cool too ^_^

message 18: by hIpnoticraQs (new)

hIpnoticraQs (raqnbelly) I look sometimes on fantasticfiction

message 19: by Dora (last edited Jul 20, 2014 09:52PM) (new)

Dora | 1 comments It's hard to say, I feel like I find book recommendations everywhere :) - right now I think about half of my purchases are made based upon reviews I've read from like-minded friends here on GR. The rest are probably split evenly among browsing at brick & mortar store (or libraries) and browsing my favorite genres on sites like Amazon.

Price isn't usually a factor, except at the end of the month lol. Sometimes I do get pissed off when I see a publisher's trying to sell an ebook that clocks in at, say, 75k words for $11.99 (!!) - in those cases I go straight for the cheapest used copy I can find instead.

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie Beitz (KatieBeitz) | 36 comments Sometimes I browse through libraries - friend's recommendations, goodreads, facebook and just seeing what comes up. Sometimes if I find an author I like, I'll look at other books that are similar.