50 books to read before you die discussion

The Kite Runner
This topic is about The Kite Runner
Book Discussions - 100 list > The Kite Runner

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments May group read

Shashank Singh Sisodia hi I want to start the kite runner... let's find the book

Andrew Hall (edgeledge) | 9 comments This was the first book about Afghanistan that I reda. It is a tragic storyof control, bullying, and the trauma of war. I loved the book and have it in my top ten of all time.

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Williamson | 66 comments I told my son I was reading this and he said it was AMAZING and that he cried at the end.

message 5: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Williamson | 66 comments I'm on chapter 7 and so far I find the main character exceedingly unlikable.

Andrew Hall (edgeledge) | 9 comments Kim wrote: "I'm on chapter 7 and so far I find the main character exceedingly unlikable." Warning, there are many more 'unlikable' characters :) Hang in there, there are many redeeming parts.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Williamson | 66 comments Well I finished, and I am still processing. I gave it three stars. I am having a hard time deciding which character I hated the most. Was it the main character, who was cruel far before the kite running? Was it the character who was the embodiment of pure evil? Was it the character that was so subservient that he gave up himself for someone who did nothing to deserve it? Was it the character that hid his sins behind a bigger than life persona? Or was it the character that was aware of everything and said nothing?

message 8: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Kim wrote: "Well I finished, and I am still processing. I gave it three stars. I am having a hard time deciding which character I hated the most. Was it the main character, who was cruel far before the kite ru..."

Wow, Kim! I'm not sure I'm going to put this on my to-read list, just because I hate hateful characters. Especially the one who was aware of everything and said nothing... Good review!

Audrey (audreykflores) | 4 comments My husband urged me to read this book, I was very hesitant at first since I'm not usually drawn to this type of book, but after I read it I was glad I did, I really like this book. The story line and characters are not happy and fluffy, this book really focuses on what it was like growing up in Afghanistan even with money, and how the people there struggle. My husband was deployed over there a couple of times, and the hardest part was seeing the children suffering there. This book really shows what happens to the people with a out of control government.

message 10: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Audrey wrote: "My husband urged me to read this book, I was very hesitant at first since I'm not usually drawn to this type of book, but after I read it I was glad I did, I really like this book. The story line a..."

Well, Audrey, you may have convinced me...

message 11: by Buck (last edited May 21, 2014 06:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) The Library has notified me that they have acquired The Kite Runner ebook for me. I anticipate starting to read it tomorrow.

message 12: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum Buck wrote: "The Library has notified me that they have acquired The Kite Runner ebook for me. I anticipate starting to read it tomorrow."

I'll be waiting for your opinion, too, Buck!

message 13: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) In the third chapter, I think, I came across this passage, The narrator, Amir asks his father, Baba, about what his religion teacher has been teaching him about the sin of drinking. I think it is quite profound:

“Now, no matter what the mullah teaches, there is only one sin, only one. And that is theft. Every other sin is a variation of theft . Do you understand that?

“When you kill a man , you steal a life,” Baba said. “You steal his wife’s right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone’s right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness. Do you see?

“There is no act more wretched than stealing, Amir,” Baba said. “A man who takes what’s not his to take, be it a life or a loaf of naan…I spit on such a man . And if I ever cross paths with him, God help him. Do you understand?

“If there’s a God out there, then I would hope he has more important things to attend to than my drinking scotch or eating pork.”

Hosseini, Khaled (2004-04-27). The Kite Runner (p.19- 20). Penguin Group US. Kindle Edition.

message 14: by Karlyne (new)

Karlyne Landrum You're right, Buck; that is profound.

message 15: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) Kim wrote: "I'm on chapter 7 and so far I find the main character exceedingly unlikable."

Kim, Your comment made me feel a bit apprehensive about reading The Kite Runner. I've completed chapter 8. I don't find the main character, Amir, the narrator, unlikable at all. I feel his torment It is a hand-wringing thing to read about, as he spirals down into his pit of shame. The writing is skillful and compelling.

message 16: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Williamson | 66 comments Glad you are enjoying it Buck. Perhaps I have known too many Amir's in my life. I know it isn't just the subject matter because I loved The Color Purple. That being said, opinions are like belly buttons, most everyone has one and mine is full of lint. I was just sharing my pitcher of Fuzzy Navels. :0)

message 17: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) Well, now that I am a little farther along, I see that Amir's cowardice seems to be a character trait, not just an unfortunate reaction in one incident. I think it must be difficult to write of such things in the first person.

Audrey (audreykflores) | 4 comments Yes he is a coward , but that's the premises of the story line. I really can't say more without spoilers. He makes mistakes in is past, but what the book is about is how he grows from it.

message 19: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Williamson | 66 comments I don't think it bothers me that he is a coward as much as it bothers me that he is totally self absorbed throughout the whole book.

Dorothy Purdy | 5 comments I agree with Audrey. Amir is a coward and not very likable. But to Kim and Buck, keep reading as it is a very good story.

Andrew Hall (edgeledge) | 9 comments I wonder how many people would be brave faced with some of the choices Amir has? I am not sure I would have behaved like he did, but then I am not sure I would have risked my own safety in certain situations either. Hard call, but he has to carry the guilt for his entire life as a consequence.

message 22: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Williamson | 66 comments I finished and if possible I liked all the characters less in the end than the beginning.

message 23: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Williamson | 66 comments My argument is that Amir was not a good person to start with. He delighted in making himself feel big by making others feel small, only he did it covertly.

Audrey (audreykflores) | 4 comments Where I don't agree with Amir's actions in his youth, I do admire his determination to make amens.

message 25: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) The Kite Runner is about cowardice and shame, loyalty and betrayal, Afghan tradition and social taboos, and the brutality of the Taliban; and finally it is about and atonement and love. I think it's an important book with something to say and I'm glad I read it.

message 26: by Buck (new) - rated it 4 stars

Buck (spectru) The middle part, in which Amir comes to America, gets married, his father dies, he becomes a novelist - all this seemed extraneous and was just time going by. He lived in America for some twenty years, but this could have been conveyed, this passage of time, with much less prose. Aside from this part of the book, I found it completely compelling. I read it quickly because I couldn't put it down.

Audrey (audreykflores) | 4 comments --Spoilers---
I'm really glad you liked it Buck! Some of the best books I've read shows humanity in its not so finest moments. I think we has Americans forget that we still live in a time where countries such as Afghanistan still use such harsh treatment of there citizens. Even in the book Amir was shocked to see what happened to the place he grew up in.
Amir also built up so much shame within himself , it wasn't until he was getting Beat up badly that he was able to release that shame and have that redeeming moment. The whole book was good, and would highly recommend it.