Karl May
This topic is about Karl May
Chit Chat & All That > Karl May in your language

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments Hey guys!
I've got a question for you:
For quite some time I've been wondering if the works of Karl May exist in any other language than German. He is a true German phenomenom and many times I wanted to suggest his works to my friends abroud, but was never able to find books in any language they would understand.
He was a writer of the late 1800s and his works were mostly adventure travel stories in which the author's alter ego visits the Orient or experiences the colonization of the American west. In the middle of the 20th century his books became bestsellers in Germany and they were turned into films (type Italo western which naturally weren't as good as the books) with an international crew. A very young Clint Eastwood (still calling himself Mario Girotti back then) took part in some of them. I do know that those films exist abroad (at least in some Eastern European countries).
Thanks in advance for your answers!!!!

message 2: by Tytti (new)

Tytti | 1092 comments They have translated at least some of his books to Finnish: http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_May

I don't think I have read any of them.

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 643 comments just did a search on our national library site, and there seems to be at least 3 different titles which have been translated into danish :-)

message 4: by Jalilah (last edited Apr 29, 2014 01:17PM) (new)

Jalilah Phil wrote: "Hey guys!
I've got a question for you:
For quite some time I've been wondering if the works of Karl May exist in any other language than German. He is a true German phenomenom and many times I want..."

I've always wanted to read Karl May! My father, who was originally from Germany, told me that reading these books as a child is the reason he immigrated to America!

message 5: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments To all three of you thank you so very much for your answers!!!
Some follow-up questions:
Are these books still buyable today?
Which ones did they translate into Danish? The 3 Winnetou ones?

message 6: by Philina (new)

Philina | 1562 comments @Jalilah:
Thats a great story!!! You should definetely read them; they are great! Some points (like religion or May's view of Natives or his perfect alter ego) are highly debateable, but I still love those books!
When I was a kid my mom and grandpa introduced me to those stories, because they had been total fans in the 60s. When I spent the night at his place my grandpa invented good night Winnetou stories for me and when I was about 6 my mom got me the first film.

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Karl May (other topics)