What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Savages
This topic is about Savages
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Nonfiction: Book about indigenous people of the Amazon rainforest in Ecuador [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chandra (last edited Apr 29, 2014 07:08AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chandra (downcametherain) | 3 comments This book describes the lives of the tribes of the Amazonian Indians in Ecuador who had previously had little contact with the outside world, and was written by a researcher who lived among them for a number of years. It focuses mainly on one young man. The major theme of the book is how they are being exploited by the oil companies and how they are working to fight back.

message 2: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Do you know the approximate time from during which this book was published?

Steph (loves water) | 109 comments Was it "Shapeshifting" by John Perkins?
http://www.amazon.com/Shapeshifting-S...

Chandra (downcametherain) | 3 comments I'd say the book was published about 5 years ago or so. No, "Shapeshifting" is not the book.

message 5: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (lauralynnwalsh) | 374 comments End of the Spear???

End Of The Spear A True Story by Steve Saint

message 6: by Ed (new)

Ed (edcaley) | 21 comments Could it be this book?Savages

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue (suefloyd) | 13 comments Is it "The Forest People" by Turnbull?

message 8: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38242 comments Mod
This rang a bell - I remembered reading an article in the New Yorker from a few years ago by Patrick Radden Keefe which was about a legal case pitting the Indians against the oil company in Ecuador. When I googled this yesterday the name Joe Kane came up - he had written two New Yorker articles in the 1990s about Indians in Ecuador and the oil company exploitation - this is the author recommended in post 6.

Chandra (downcametherain) | 3 comments Yes! The book is "Savages" by Joe Kane!