Literally Geeky discussion

Lud-in-the-Mist
This topic is about Lud-in-the-Mist
Lud-in-the-Mist > Lud-in-the-Mist

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Aaron (trippdigital) | 170 comments Mod
Something to say about Lud-in-the-Mist? Here's the place to say it, or type it, whatever.

Personally, I hadn't heard of this book before Donovan brought it up. Fantasy is my favorite genre, so I'm looking forward to reading it! It predates Tolkien.

message 2: by Red (new)

Red Dog (red_dog) | 65 comments I'd heard of Hope Mirrlees because Neil Gaiman cites her as an influence, but I've never read her stuff. I'd be interested to compare it to the Fritz Leiber book I'm reading at the moment, in an "older fantasy fiction that isn't Tolkien" kind of way...

message 3: by Ez, The God of Catan (last edited May 07, 2014 04:33PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ez (thevapidwench) | 287 comments Mod
Fans of Susanna Clarke (Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, Ladies of Grace Adieu) should definitely check out Hope Mirrlees.

PS: Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell has been made into a seven part BBC series set to air sometime this year. It's a bloody big book to fit into seven episodes, but Eddie Marsden as Mr Norrell means it's definitely worth a look.

message 4: by Ez, The God of Catan (last edited May 15, 2014 02:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Just started Lud in the Mist, and ...

"[O]ver the door was emblazoned a fine stylised cock".

BlueCock

Beth | 41 comments I've finished Lud-in-the-Mist. It read a bit like morality play, but I feel I missed the social context. Perhaps you can shed some light on this during the hangout. Thx.

message 6: by Ez, The God of Catan (new) - rated it 4 stars

*Closes book*

I'm done. Lots to talk about with this one: Beth makes a great point about it reading like a morality play.

Any other questions or topics? Keep 'em coming, and you can tweet @LiterallyGeeky too.

message 7: by Ez, The God of Catan (last edited May 25, 2014 09:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Beth wrote: "I've finished Lud-in-the-Mist. It read a bit like morality play, but I feel I missed the social context. Perhaps you can shed some light on this during the hangout. Thx."

Social context as in Europe at the time of writing? After a spot of research (wiki), Hope Mirrlees, divided her time between England and France, and I can't imagine a greater contrast than between Bohemian counter-culture and the pessimism, bowler hats and tweeds of London (bright young things not withstanding). Only divided by a tiny channel of water too.