Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Serieses! > Series not showing on author page

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Totally Entwined Group (last edited Apr 28, 2014 04:46PM) (new)

Totally Entwined Group Librarian (totallyentwinedgroup) | 12 comments I'm working on the books for two of our authors and am noticing something odd. Maybe I'm just being impatient :)

McKenna Jeffries - There is no "series by McKenna Jeffries" on her author page even though she does have a series.

Taige Crenshaw - Two of her series are listed on her page but you have to click on "series by Taige Crenshaw" in order to see all of them. On other author's pages, they list more without have to click anything.

Thanks for your help!

message 2: by Empress (last edited Apr 28, 2014 05:10PM) (new)

Empress (the_empress) The series show on the primary author's page. For secondary authors you need to go here: https://www.goodreads.com/series/list...

Totally Entwined Group Librarian (totallyentwinedgroup) | 12 comments Thank you but McKenna is the primary author on all of her books. At least she is listed first if that's what you mean.

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2443 comments Any series created today (or in the last few days) is probably just the cache needing to catch up.

But the other series, it is a rather odd issue. Have the author's been switched or updated on any of the series.

The only other suggestion I can make is to contact GR support directly or post to the bug section of the Feedback group.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41972 comments Mod
Totally Bound wrote: "McKenna Jeffries - There is no "series by McKenna Jeffries" on her author page ev..."

Because the first book in the series had (and now has again, as I have restored the original order) someone else as primary author.

message 6: by Totally Entwined Group (last edited Apr 29, 2014 07:34AM) (new)

Totally Entwined Group Librarian (totallyentwinedgroup) | 12 comments I changed the first book to have McKenna Jeffries as the primary author because that's the way it is on the re-release. The older version is no longer available. How do I get the new version set as the default version so it can be added to the series instead of the one that is now out of print?

Thanks for your help.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Totally Bound wrote: "I changed the first book to have McKenna Jeffries as the primary author because that's the way it is on the re-release."

Author order on all editions follows the original printing. The new edition already is the default edition, but that does not affect author ordering.

message 8: by Monique (new)

Monique (kadiya) | 1099 comments Totally Bound wrote: "I changed the first book to have McKenna Jeffries as the primary author because that's the way it is on the re-release. The older version is no longer available. How do I get the new version set ..."

Only the primary author can set a specific edition as the default edition. Well, the author, or if the author contacts Goodreads support, they might be able to help. Librarians cannot set an edition as the default edition.

Totally Entwined Group Librarian (totallyentwinedgroup) | 12 comments Thanks everyone. I have advised the author that they need to set the default edition themselves.

Totally Entwined Group Librarian (totallyentwinedgroup) | 12 comments rivka wrote: "Author order on all editions follows the original printing. The new edition already is the default edition, but that does not affect author ordering..."

I thought the manual said that the author order should follow what is on the book cover. Does that not apply if it was different on the original printing?

So are you saying that as long as the first book has the other author listed first, it will not show up on McKenna's author page? That doesn't seem right.

message 11: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited Apr 29, 2014 07:02PM) (new)

The applicable part of the Manual (although the situation is not precisely the same):
In some cases, a book may be originally published under a pen name, but then later reissued under the author's original name. When this happens, the author listed for any and all editions should be the author name the book was originally published under - so the reissued edition would need its author name changed to the originally published pen name. Doing this will allow the various editions to be combined.

and
Different editions of a book not having the same primary author can cause quite a few distinct problems. Please keep the primary author for all editions of a work the same.

message 12: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

Totally Bound wrote: "So are you saying that as long as the first book has the other author listed first, it will not show up on McKenna's author page?"

Correct. This is a limitation of how the series parser works, and not anything librarians can change.

Totally Entwined Group Librarian (totallyentwinedgroup) | 12 comments rivka, I know this is splitting hairs and you didn't write the rules but it seems really ridiculous that because ONE book was published by another publisher and they put author A first on the cover, that that negates the way the authors were listed for every other book in the series.

message 14: by M.B. (new)

M.B. Tosi (authormbtosi) | 5 comments Although I have written four books in The Indian Path Series, there is no mention anywhere of my series. Here is some information about this series and the books in it. Also, I have not been able to add The Thundering Path of Spirit to my "author-wrote" books. It still lists only three books.

The Thundering Path of Spirit is Book Four of The Indian Path Series. Book Four is a love story about following God’s will in harrowing times. Can a young woman once captured by the Crow Indians find the courage to return and save her brother’s life at the Battle of the Little Bighorn?

Each book in this bestselling series focuses on a different Native American tribe during the Indian Wars in the late 1800s, and the lives of fictional characters are woven into the true events. In Book One, The Sacred Path of Tears, a young Cheyenne woman in Kansas is torn between two worlds at war and the two men she loves after the Sand Creek Massacre. Book Two, The Secret Path of Destiny, is about the Comanche in Texas and a young German-American girl who seeks refuge with the Comanche when her wicked stepfather pursues her. In The Crimson Path of Honor, Book Three of The Indian Path Series, a young woman’s life is torn apart by her kidnapping, and she is forced to adapt to a whole new way of life as part of a Lakota band of Indians during the Indian Wars.

The theme of The Indian Path Series is how to find life’s purpose and a path of peace, love, courage, and faith in times of trouble and danger. As American poet Henry Wadsworth Longfellow said, “If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man’s life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility.”

message 15: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (last edited May 01, 2014 03:41PM) (new)

M.B. wrote: "Although I have written four books in The Indian Path Series, there is no mention anywhere of my series.

Actually, it is on your author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show..., as a librarian added it a couple days ago. However, she only knew of the first two books in the series. I have updated the series page to show all four:

But it will take a couple days for what is visible on your author page to update as well. https://www.goodreads.com/series/7522...

message 16: by M.B. (new)

M.B. Tosi (authormbtosi) | 5 comments rivka wrote: "M.B. wrote: "Although I have written four books in The Indian Path Series, there is no mention anywhere of my series.

Actually, it is on your author page: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show......"

Thank you so much!!!!!