Who's Your Author? discussion

Let's talk about... > Have you heard about the Amazon Prime Air?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Apr 28, 2014 01:44PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments

Now, supposedly this is real. I keep thinking it's a April fools joke gone viral, but I've been told time and time again that it's not. Amazon is apparently looking to deliver packages via an airborne delivery drone. My first concern is whether it could pull a Wizard of Oz type scenario and land on someone. I wonder about damage caused to foliage by the blades or by the device landing on plants. I wonder if birds and other animals could be hurt via a fly by. It just doesn't seem possible. What do you think? To learn more check out these articles:
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=8037720011
and
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-un...

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie | 419 comments OMG! To prove I've never grown up, no matter what the age on my driver's license says, I watch a kids/ teens show on Nickelodeon called Sam and Cat. They did a spoof of this very thing!! The name of the online retail giant was even close to amazon. In the show, the drones broke their kitchen window, picked up a baby they were babysitting instead of the package that was supposed to be returned, and grabbed Cat's grandma's wig off her head while she was in the warehouse. Hahaha!! It amuses me that they were spoofing something real, rather than making up their own plot about some crazy new tech that I wouldn't have seen coming for a decade or more.

message 3: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 823 comments Amazing. However, it does seem as if they would have to have a designated spot for landing in front of your home.

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie | 419 comments Maybe mail you a mat to put on the ground somewhere with an RFID chip that the drones would recognize. It's not like they could do much worse than my human (assumedly anyway) mailman, who delivered my brother's and my parents rather large tax refund checks to someone several miles from our houses on his rural route. He's not a very good mailman in general.

message 5: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Angie wrote: "Maybe mail you a mat to put on the ground somewhere with an RFID chip that the drones would recognize. It's not like they could do much worse than my human (assumedly anyway) mailman, who delivered..."

See now that is a good idea, but I saw no mention of how things would be handled. I admit the thought of something like this actually happening is pretty cool, but I have questions about what altitude they'd be flying at, would trees pose a problem, and someone mentioned in an article if they'd be affected by weather. It sounded like they might just do this for hard to reach places, but there wasn't a lot of information.

message 6: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments Angie wrote: "OMG! To prove I've never grown up, no matter what the age on my driver's license says, I watch a kids/ teens show on Nickelodeon called Sam and Cat. They did a spoof of this very thing!! The name o..."

That's funny.

message 7: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 2046 comments I wonder how big the thing is?