House of Leaves House of Leaves discussion

Real price of the book?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stef (new)

Stef Markova Hey guys!
So, here's the thing: I live in a country where I cannot find the House of Leaves book because it's neither been translated nor it's being imported. However, a friend of mine is going to the USA soon and offered to get the book for me from there. The problem is that she will be there for a little over a day and will only have access to bookstores to buy it, as opposed to ordering it online. I looked the book up on Amazon and it was around $32 (for the fancy-schmancy hardcover edition). Still, I'm kinda wondering (no laughing please, it's almost midnight here and I am currently not in my best state of consciousness) whether the price on the Amazon/Barnes&Nobles websites match the price of the book in, say, a regular bookstore where you just go and get it yourself (not counting delivery costs)? After all, the book is a bit pricey and I don't want to burden my friend and make it any more hard for her.

Thanks in advance for all your help! :))

Mkfs The paperback edition is $21 from a standard, non-discounted book store where I live (NYC).

Amazon has $21 as the List Price. They sell it for less because they probably have a few boxes of it in their warehouse (or they have a special deal with the publisher).

I don't know any bookstore that carries the hardback.

message 3: by Stef (new)

Stef Markova Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I guess I'll have to settle for the paperback edition (although I am pretty sure there is not much difference between the two editions). HOWEVER I am so excited about the prospect of finally getting to read this book that I can barely contain my happiness and I have been grinning like an idiot for over a week now! :)))

Once again, thanks so so soooo much! :)

David C. I have the paperback edition. It's fine. Quite a bit larger than what you would generally think of as paperback, and it still retains the colored text &c.

It's essentially a hardback with a soft cover . . .

message 5: by Jaksen (last edited Apr 30, 2014 06:16PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jaksen And I've seen the book in second-hand book stores for a few dollars. I could have picked it up at a library sale for two bucks, but I'd already bought it years ago when it first came out. Look around. Try half.com (an affiliate of ebay). You might be able to find a good copy for a few dollars.

Just checked half.com. Lowest price is $7.20. But check now and then; you might find it lower. There are also other used book stores online.