What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. fantasy novel I read as a kid! cover art is a bit on the photorealistic side, depicting a man in a forested area, peering beyond some shrubs? toward a skull knight on horseback.

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zach (new)

Zach | 2 comments I read this book when I was in grade school, so this book could have been written any time before 2005. This book started my fascination with this type of subject matter, and it would be very enlightening to know that enigmatic book that haunts my memories. It's a early teen fantasy novel, probably no more than 120 pages. I found the book in my elementary school library, in a front rack, so I imagine it is known to some niche audience or is part of a series. The year was somewhere between 1999-2003.

The Brooks's cover is the part I remember best; I read it over 12 years ago! The cover art is a bit on the photorealistic side, depicting a man in a forested area, peering beyond some shrubs? toward a skull knight on horseback. I believe the horse is rearing up. The cover art uses depth perception to make it seem as though we (the viewer) is behind or closely behind the man, who's back is to us, and the horseman is a bit in the distance.

The books subject matter is a bit blurry, but I don't think it was the generic, elves/dwarves, kind of fantasy. I think it was a bit darker fantasy, where the fantasies are closer to horrors?

Please help I will be SO grateful. I will be standing by to offer further aid if needed.

message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 29 comments Perhaps this book from the Chronicles of Prydain series:

The Book of Three (The Chronicles of Prydain, #1) by Lloyd Alexander

message 3: by Zach (new)

Zach | 2 comments Not the book, but very close. The man is on the bottom left corner instead if right, and he looks genuinely distressed by the sight of the horseman.

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 21 comments There are other editions this one matches your description a little more except you can't see the man's expression.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 203 comments I agree this is most likely The Book of Three, but I think some covers of The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper have a horned skull-like man on a horse as well.

message 6: by Rafi (new)

Rafi Snowden | 101 comments Can you remember any names?

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6972 comments Mod
The Dark Is Rising (Dark is Rising, #2) by Susan Cooper possibly? The Dark Is Rising (The Dark is Rising, #2) by Susan Cooper is another one with a cover that might be it.

This is a good series, btw, so even if it isn't yours, maybe you should check it out.

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 203 comments And here's a link to another cover of the Book of Three that matches better: http://www.longstoryshortpier.com/ima...

(This is from the Yearling edition.)

message 9: by Michele (new)

Michele | 2357 comments Here is The Dark Is Rising with the right cover.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37832 comments Mod
Zach, are you still looking or did you find this?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37832 comments Mod
Lobstergirl wrote: "Zach, are you still looking or did you find this?"

No response. Moving to Abandoned.