General Fiction Forum Expats discussion

Off Topic Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 6,706 (6706 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 134 135

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4536 comments Mod
Tell us what's on your mind, share something that's bothering you etc.

message 2: by Debbie (new)

Happy Tuesday, here's our Thought for the Day
“You can’t always please everybody,
but you can do what makes you happy
and just hope that those around you
will be happy for you.”

~ Robert Tew

Ok, I’m stumped. I apologize for the fact that I can’t provide any insight into Robert Tew’s life and works.There are all sorts of quotes attributed to Robert Tew all over the internet.

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Happy Hump Day peeps
here's our Wednesday thought for the day

“Your mind will answer most questions
if you learn to relax and wait for the answer.”

~ William S. Burroughs

William Seward Burroughs II pen name William Lee; (February 5, 1914 – August 2, 1997) was an American novelist, short story writer, essayist and spoken word performer, he is considered to be “one of the most politically trenchant, culturally influential, and innovative artists of the 20th century.” Source

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Happy Thursday

“Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass
under the trees on a summer’s day,
listening to the murmur of water,
or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time.”

~ John Lubbock

John Lubbock (April 30 1834 – May 28 1913) Known as Sir John Lubbock, 4th Bt from 1865 until 1900, was an English banker, biologist, archaeologist and Liberal politician.

message 5: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa Debbie wrote: "Tell us what's on your mind, share something that's bothering you etc."

I'm annoyed that readers here at GR can't "subscribe" to the threads they want to show on the Home Page when new posts are made. I have no interest in the various 'off topic' threads in some folders...and it annoys me when something about Survivors or DWTS appears in one of the four groups on my Home Page. Yes, I've asked in the Suggestions in Feedback and the idea goes nowhere. Sigh! :(

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Janeiowa wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Tell us what's on your mind, share something that's bothering you etc."

I'm annoyed that readers here at GR can't "subscribe" to the threads they want to show on the Home Page when ..."

Yes it is frustrating especially when you're used to one type of forum etc.. but hopefully you'll get some answers or be able to tweak it a bit to your liking.
I'm just glad you're here :)

message 7: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa Thanks, Debbie.

I've been here for a number of years, but the emphasis seems to have shifted from readers to authors, which has also taken some getting used to. I think maybe I'm just tired of cold, rainy days when it should be spring here in Iowa...and it isn't!! So, I'll blame my "crankiness" on the weather!!

message 8: by Debbie (new)

Oh Tina, I know how you feel as I sit here looking out the window as what looks like a November instead of May sky :)

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Friday!!!

“Man is always prey to his truths.
Once he has admitted them,
he cannot free himself from them.”

~ Albert Camus

Albert Camus (7 November 1913 - 4 January 1960 (age 46) A French author, journalist, and key philosopher of the 20th century. Camus was awarded the 1957 Nobel Prize for Literature, the second-youngest recipient of the Nobel Prize in Literature, after Rudyard Kipling, and the first African-born writer to receive the award…Source | More

message 10: by Debbie (new)

Well peeps I hope Goodreads upped their bandwith or whatever they have to do to allow for all of us B&N expats in :).
How many had trouble getting in yesterday.

message 11: by April (new)

April (april_h) | 159 comments Debbie wrote: "Well peeps I hope Goodreads upped their bandwith or whatever they have to do to allow for all of us B&N expats in :).
How many had trouble getting in yesterday."

It took me three tries to get in yesterday, but luckily no problems today.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

April wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Well peeps I hope Goodreads upped their bandwith or whatever they have to do to allow for all of us B&N expats in :).

It took me three tr..."

Yeah April fingers crossed they've fixed the problem
Good to see you!

message 13: by Intrigued (new)

Intrigued by Romance | 8 comments Debbie wrote: "April wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Well peeps I hope Goodreads upped their bandwith or whatever they have to do to allow for all of us B&N expats in :).

It to..."

I had a hard time. I am still trying to get my profile and books set up. Having a difficult time adding books I have read.

message 14: by Debbie (new)

Tina wrote: "Debbie wrote: "April wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Well peeps I hope Goodreads upped their bandwith or whatever they have to do to allow for all of us B&N expats in :).
How many had trouble getting in yes..."

Good luck Tina. I hope it all becomes easier.
Do you think its because we're all so used to the way things were done at B&N?

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Susan wrote: "I was on early this morning and kept getting shut down but it seems ok now, I am just checking in I will talk to all after Tuesday. And for those who have elections on Tuesday remember to vote."

Susan, good luck w/the elections!

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Happy Monday here's our thought for the day

“Until you make the unconscious conscious,
it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”

~ Carl Jung

Carl Gustav Jung (26 July 1875 - 6 June 1961) A Swiss psychiatrist and the founder of analytical psychology. Jung is considered the first modern psychiatrist to view the human psyche as “by nature religious” and make it the focus of exploration. Jung is one of the best known researchers in the field of dream analysis and symbolization.

message 17: by Debbie (new)

Happy Tuesday
Our Tuesday thought follows!

“If they hadn’t tried to break me down,
I wouldn’t know that I’m unbreakable.”
~ Gabourey Sidibe

Gabourey “Gabby” Sidibe (born May 6, 1983) is an American actress[1] who made her acting debut in the 2009 film Precious, a role that brought her a nomination for the Academy Award for Best Actress…

message 18: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (lainey_h) Debbie wrote: "Happy Monday here's our thought for the day

~ Carl Jung

Carl Gustav Jung (26 July 1875 - 6 June 1..."

I really like this thought, Deb! Sorry, haven't really participated much, I'm in the middle of reading 2 books, knitting a sweater for my mom, and working. Inbetween, I like to sleep....

message 19: by Debbie (new)

Elaine wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Happy Monday here's our thought for the day

~ Carl Jung

Carl Gustav Jung (26 July 1..."

Elaine, wow how do you fit sleeping in there because I know how many hours you work too!
Any time you can spare is great with me :)

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Here's our Humpday Thought

“Next time there’s a storm,
you need to leave open both doors.
Don’t let your misfortunes find a home.”
~ Call the Midwife

Call the Midwife is a BBC period drama series based on the memoirs of Jennifer Worth and set in east London in the 1950s…

I hope you all have a Fantastic Wednesday!!!

message 21: by Debbie (new)

Happy Throwback Thursday peeps be sure and check out my blog post today congratulating Hank Phillippi Ryan on her Agatha Award

here's our thought
“Lots of folks confuse bad management with destiny.”
~ Kin Hubbard

Frank McKinney Hubbard (born 1 September 1868 in Bellefontaine, Ohio – died: 26 December 1930 in Indianapolis, Indiana) was an American cartoonist, humorist, and journalist better known by his pen name “Kin” Hubbard

message 22: by Debbie (new)

Susan it isn't starting yet, right now I'm just looking for nominations. Sorry for confusing you.

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Happy Friday
I hope all the mothers in the club have a wonderful Mom's Day

“How many times had those awful words
“I know what I’m doing”
been uttered throughout history
as prelude to disaster? ”
~ Christopher Buckley, Supreme Courtship

Christopher Taylor Buckley (born December 24, 1952) is an American political satirist and the author of novels including Thank You for Smoking, Little Green Men, No Way to Treat a First Lady, and Supreme Courtship. He is the son of William F. Buckley Jr. and Patricia Buckley

message 24: by Debbie (new)

Happy day before Mom's Day
here's our thought
“If you want to be seen, stand up.
If you want to be heard, speak up.
If you want to be appreciated, shut up.”
~ Bill Cosby

William Henry Cosby, Jr. (July 12, 1937) An American comedian, actor, author, television producer, educator, musician and activist. A veteran stand-up performer, he got his start at various clubs, then landed a starring role in the 1960s action show, I Spy. He later starred in his own series, the situation comedy The Bill Cosby Show. He was one of the major characters on the children’s television series The Electric Company for its first two seasons, and created the educational cartoon comedy series Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, about a group of young friends growing up in the city. Cosby has also acted in a number of films.

message 25: by Debbie (new)

Happy Mother's Day!!!

here's our thought

“There ought to be a hall of fame for Mamas
Creation’s most unique and precious pearl
And heaven help us always to remember that
The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world”

~ Ted Harris

Theodore Clifford Harris (August 02, 1937) American country music song writer. His songs have been recorded by Hank Snow, Carl Belew, Charley Pride, Dottie West, Ferlin Husky and Glen Campbell

message 26: by Debbie (new)

Happy Monday :( this thought from Dr. Suess should cheer you right up

“Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So…
get on your way.”
Dr. Seuss

Theodor Seuss Geisel (March 2, 1904 - September 24, 1991) An American writer and cartoonist most widely known for his children’s books written under the pen names Dr. Seuss, Theo LeSieg and, in one case, Rosetta Stone. He published 44 children’s books, which were often characterized by imaginative characters, rhyme, and frequent use of trisyllabic meter. His most celebrated books include the bestselling Green Eggs and Ham, The Cat in the Hat, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish, Horton Hatches the Egg, Horton Hears a Who!, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas.

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Happy Rainy Cool Ugly Tuesday peeps
Check out my blog post today for a Great Internationally open Giveaway

here's our thought
“In any moment of decision,
the best thing you can do
is the right thing,
the next best thing
is the wrong thing,
and the worst thing you can do
is nothing.”

~ Theodore Roosevelt

message 28: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1685 comments Susan, will keep my fingers crossed for fine weather for you and your son. Beautiful here in Queensland in Australia!!!

message 29: by Debbie (new)

Susan wrote: "Please dont tell me it is rainy in St, Louis. That means its comming my way and my son has his 8th grade field trip to an amusment park on Wed. Their trip was cancled when they were to go to Wash..."

Susan thanks for the Mom's day wish, sorry about the weather. Mother Nature and I have had a falling out since last winter. It's actually supposed to be rainy until Thursday. Coming from the south, but not a total wash out. Fingers crossed for your son's field trip X

message 30: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "Susan, will keep my fingers crossed for fine weather for you and your son. Beautiful here in Queensland in Australia!!!"

Thanks Ang rub it in ;)
not only is it rainy but instead of being in the high 70s it will be a high of 55 today LOL
deb

message 31: by Debbie (new)

Happy Hump day peeps
here's our ugly Wednesday thought for the day

“Whatever it is you’re seeking
won’t come in the form you’re expecting.”
~ Haruki Murakami

Haruki Murakami (born January 12, 1949) is a contemporary Japanese writer. Murakami is translated into 50 languages and his best-selling books have been published in millions of copies. His most notable works include A Wild Sheep Chase (1982), Norwegian Wood (1987), The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (1994-1995), Kafka on the Shore (2002), and 1Q84 (2009–2010)

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Glad to hear the field trip went well Susan. And I'm glad you enjoy the thoughts :)

Here's out Thursday thought brought by a favorite author of mine

“I suspect the truth is
that we are waiting, all of us,
against insurmountable odds,
for something extraordinary to happen to us.”
~ Khaled Hosseini

Khaled Hosseini (born March 4, 1965) is an Afghan-born American novelist and physician. After graduating from college, he worked as a doctor in California, an occupation that he likens to “an arranged marriage” for him. He has published three novels, most notably his 2003 debut The Kite Runner

message 33: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (lainey_h) Debbie wrote: "Happy Hump day peeps
here's our ugly Wednesday thought for the day

“Whatever it is you’re seeking
won’t come in the form you’re expecting.”
~ Haruki Murakami

Haruki Murakami (born January 12, 19..."

Thank you for the great quote from my all time favorite author, Deb! And - a belated happy Mother's Day!

message 34: by Debbie (new)

Happy Friday

“I don’t see the point in measuring life
in terms of time anymore,
I’d rather measure life
in terms of making a difference.”

~ Stephen Sutton

Stephen Sutton (16 December 1994 – 14 May 2014) A British blogger, charity activist, diagnosed with terminal cancer age 15. Known for his blog Stephen’s Story & Fundraising efforts for the Teenage Cancer Trust for the aid of teenagers with cancer. As of 14 May 2014, Sutton had raised £3.4 more than 300 times the original goal

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Happy Saturday I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend

“Life is little more than a loan shark:
It exacts a very high rate of interest
for the few pleasures it concedes.

~ Luigi Pirandello

Luigi Pirandello (June 28th 1867 – December 10th 1936) Italian dramatist, novelist, poet & short story writer. Awarded the 1934 Nobel Prize in Literature for his “bold and brilliant renovation of the drama and the stage”. Pirandello’s works include novels, hundreds of short stories, and about 40 play

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Happy Monday

“We live in a world where
joy and empathy and pleasure
are all around us,
there for the noticing.”
~ Ira Glass

Ira Jeffrey Glass (born March 3, 1959) is an American public radio personality, and host and producer of the radio and television show This American Life…

message 37: by Debbie (new)

Happy Tuesday

“Most of us have jobs that are too small for our spirits.”
~ Studs Terkel

Louis “Studs” Terkel (May 16, 1912 – October 31, 2008) was an American author, historian, actor, and broadcaster. He received the Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction in 1985 for “The Good War”, and is best remembered for his oral histories of common Americans, and for hosting a long-running radio show in Chicago

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Happy Hump Day

“When one tugs at a single thing in nature,
he finds it attached
to the rest of the world.”
~ John Muir

John Muir (21 April 1838 – 24 December 1914) was a Scottish-born American naturalist, author, and early advocate of preservation of wilderness in the United States. His letters, essays, and books telling of his adventures in nature, especially in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California, have been read by millions. His activism helped to preserve the Yosemite Valley, Sequoia National Park and other wilderness areas. The Sierra Club, which he founded, is now one of the most important conservation organizations in the United States.

message 39: by Debbie (new)

Hey peeps happy Thursday - I'll be taking the day off tomorrow for my birthday :) My mom and I are going antiquing and shopping my fave things to do! So have a great weekend
here's our Thursday thought

“Trust yourself.
Create the kind of self that
you will be happy to live with all your life.
Make the most of yourself
by fanning the tiny,
inner sparks of possibility
into flames of achievement.”
~ Golda Meir

Golda Meir (May 3, 1898 – December 8, 1978) was an Israeli teacher, kibbutznik, politician and the fourth Prime Minister of Israel. Meir was elected Prime Minister of Israel on March 17, 1969, after serving as Minister of Labour and Foreign Minister

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy Birthday,Debbie! Hope you enjoy your day!

message 41: by Debbie (new)

TarHeelGirl00 wrote: "Happy Birthday,Debbie! Hope you enjoy your day!"

Thanks for the wishes TarHeelGirl :)

message 42: by Debbie (new)

Susan wrote: "Happy Birthday Deb, Have a great day and a great week end. Hope everyone has a save holiday and great weather."

Thank You <3 :)

message 43: by Debbie (new)

Happy Friday Enjoy your Holiday Weekend!

“All art is autobiographical;
the pearl is the oyster’s autobiography.”
~ Federico Fellini

Federico Fellini (January 20, 1920 – October 31, 1993) was an Italian film director and scriptwriter. Known for his distinct style that blends fantasy and baroque images with earthiness, he is considered one of the most influential filmmakers of the 20th century, and is widely revered.

message 44: by Luanne (new)

Luanne Happy Birthday Deb! I'm sure your day was wonderful!

message 45: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1685 comments Hope you have a wonderful Birthday Debbie.
Hip Hip Hooray!!

message 46: by Debbie (new)

Thank you. My WONDERFUL daughter planned a surprise birthday party for me. I was in shock and in Tears :)
My cup runneth over

message 47: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "Hope you have a wonderful Birthday Debbie.
Hip Hip Hooray!!"

Thanks Ang :)

message 48: by Karen (new)

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Happy Birthday, Deb. I have so got to get in the habit of coming here. How many time do you have to do something before it is a habit?
Anyway, I am enjoying going back through and reading all the posts I missed....so will be working on showing up just a wee bit harder. So glad to see everyone again. Mtn Muse

message 49: by Debbie (new)

Thanks for the B-Day wishes. I had a blast :)

message 50: by Debbie (new)

Good Morning peeps!
here is our Tuesday thought for the day

“Writing is a way of talking without being interrupted. “
~ Jules Renard

Pierre-Jules Renard (February 22, 1864 – May 22, 1910) was a French author and member of the Académie Goncourt, most famous for the works Poil de carotte (Carrot Top) (1894) and Les Histoires Naturelles (Nature Stories) (1896)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 134 135