General Fiction Forum Expats discussion

Introduce yourself

Comments Showing 1-50 of 158 (158 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (dhaupt) | 4456 comments Mod
Welcome to the General Fiction expats forum tell us a bit about yourself

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Hey! So glad to see this forum here at good reads. I look forward to the continued conversations and camaraderie.
Nth Muse. aka karen

message 3: by Debbie (new)

Karen wrote: "Hey! So glad to see this forum here at good reads. I look forward to the continued conversations and camaraderie.
Nth Muse. aka karen"

Yay, girlfriend good to see you here !!!
Now we can start the party :)

message 4: by Luanne (new)

Luanne Thanks Debbie. This is a good way of staying in touch. I like to see what everyone is reading and chatting about.

message 5: by Debbie (new)

Hi Luanne, Great to have you join in!!

message 6: by Luanne (new)

Luanne Debbie wrote: "Hi Luanne, Great to have you join in!!"
And I was Pen21 (Luanne here)on the Barnes and Noble boards.

message 7: by April (new)

April (april_h) | 159 comments Hi everyone! What a great idea this is! For those of you from the Barnes and Noble forum I had the handle aprilh . I'm so excited to be here and look forward to chatting with everyone.

message 8: by Debbie (new)

April wrote: "Hi everyone! What a great idea this is! For those of you from the Barnes and Noble forum I had the handle aprilh . I'm so excited to be here and look forward to chatting with everyone."
Hi April Woot Woot welcome!!!!

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Luv2read29 wrote: "Hi everyone, So glad you stared this Debbie now I dont fell like I lost all my friends at once. Cant wait to get into some great topics. Talk to you soon Sue"

Hi Sue welcome to the new forum :)

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments woohoo! Old friend week. Time to read a book and have a party!

message 11: by Janeiowa (new)

Janeiowa Hi...I was at B&N often a few years ago when it was much more active. I left there and came to Goodreads when I bought an IPAD so I could have both Nook and Kindle books.

message 12: by Debbie (new)

Janeiowa wrote: "Hi...I was at B&N often a few years ago when it was much more active. I left there and came to Goodreads when I bought an IPAD so I could have both Nook and Kindle books."

Hi Janeiowa. I'm a nooker :) but shh my Nook hd allows me to download a kindle app :) so glad you joined and please feel free to comment, start a conversation what ever you want!

message 13: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1678 comments Hi Everyone,

I'm Ang from Australia (OZ) About 6 months ago I made the leap to ereader from traditional books. I always said I'd never do it, but I haven't looked back since. I currently have a Kobo Glo. I love being able to tote around so many books in one little package!! But still love holding a book in my hands, nothing can beat that feeling!
Looking forward to chatting with you all here!

Cheers from Ang.

message 14: by Intrigued (new)

Intrigued by Romance | 8 comments Hi! I am new to this site. My name is Tina or you can call me Intrigued. I love reading Romance, Paranormal Romance, Teen, YA. My favorite authors are J.R. Ward, Stephanie Meyers; just to name a couple.

message 15: by Debbie (new)

Ang from OZ wrote: "Hi Everyone,

I'm Ang from Australia (OZ) About 6 months ago I made the leap to ereader from traditional books. I always said I'd never do it, but I haven't looked back since. I currently have a ..."

Welcome Ang, wow I've never heard of the Kobo Glo I'll have to look it up. Welcome to the group.
I look forward to your posts and your ideas for where the group should go.

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Tina wrote: "Hi! I am new to this site. My name is Tina or you can call me Intrigued. I love reading Romance, Paranormal Romance, Teen, YA. My favorite authors are J.R. Ward, Stephanie Meyers; just to name a..."

Hi Tina, welcome to the group! It's great to see so many friendly faces here :)

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments So excited to see some new friends joining us as we move to gooodreads. My name Is Karen aka Mtn Muse. I am retired and spend my time caring for my four grandchildren and homeschooling them.
Since starting the schooling career, my reading and reviewing if new novels has been slowed. But I love the comraderie if this group. Deb does a great job of moderating.
I am looking forward to the weeks and months ahead.

message 18: by Debbie (new)

HI Karen, so glad you've come over to the Goodreads club:)

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jenga5238) Hi fiction fans! I'm Jenny. I came from B&N. I'd never been a general fiction book club person, I lived mostly in the Nook books discussion forum. I probably won't be much of a talker, not because I don't talk, but because I'm a pretty busy girl in my normal life. I'm a nook lover (with a kindle app) and I've recently been enjoying some audiobooks, which are letting me continue to enjoy books while I'm busy and driving from place to place. I like long involved books with involved characters and detailed stories. I'm also interested in historical fiction, so I can feel like learning something about history without cracking a boring book. Have a great day!

message 20: by Debbie (new)

Jenny wrote: "Hi fiction fans! I'm Jenny. I came from B&N. I'd never been a general fiction book club person, I lived mostly in the Nook books discussion forum. I probably won't be much of a talker, not because..."

Jenny Welcome and I'm so glad you followed all of us who've been put out on the street. I just downloaded the Kindle app for my nook hd too :), shh don't tell
I'm a lover of anything fiction and somethings non-fiction too.
I hope you'll join in some of the conversations :)
Welcome

message 21: by Debbie (new)

Ok so for all of you who don't know me from B&N
I'm Debbie I live in the greater St. Louis Missouri Metropolitan area
I work full time for a graphic design firm
I'm on the Board of Directors for my library district
I'm an editorial reviewer for both RT Magazine and LibraryJournal plus many publishers and a select number of authors.
I also as you've gathered from here run a book blog which mostly consists of interviews and giveaways but there are some reviews thrown in too.
I started reading in 2000 when I stopped smoking and the rest as they say is history ;)

Reading is my passion and I'm happy to share that passion with all of you here and everywhere.
I look forward to this new adventure and we will be having a book club discussion, I'm not sure that it will be every month but I do know that this forum is better suited to it than my blog was.
So please put in your request for our first read with any luck I'll be able to convince (beg, blackmail, threaten) the author to join in too.

message 22: by Intrigued (new)

Intrigued by Romance | 8 comments Debbie wrote: "Ok so for all of you who don't know me from B&N
I'm on the Board of Directors for my..."

Hey Deb,
Thanks for giving us a quick run down on who you are. I am so happy that we became friends this past year. I am really happy you created this club. I thibk this will be a lot of fun!

message 23: by Debbie (new)

Tina wrote: "Debbie wrote: "Ok so for all of you who don't know me from B&N
I'm on the Board of D..."

Same here Tina and my fingers and toes are crossed, all good wishes for this!! :)

message 24: by Elaine (last edited May 21, 2014 08:53AM) (new)

Elaine (lainey_h) Had to triple check to make sure I hadn't already introduced myself! :O

Hi, I'm Elaine, I was a member of the B&N bookclub and have continued to read with Deb through her blog. I think this venue will be great, and I'm looking forward to reading with everyone - the first book is loaded on my nook, even as I type.

I'm a tech writer in Houston, writing pipeline regulatory plans and I do general editing for our office. I love to read, knit, bead - but I need to squeeze in some work too so that I can afford myself!
Elaine

message 25: by Edie (new)

Edie | 29 comments Hi, I'm Edie, a former member of the now defunct general fiction forum (I love the name of this club, Debbie!) I'm a retired English teacher/Libral Arts Magnet Program Director. I sew, read, dabble in theater and garden. I continue to wonder how I ever found time to work at a regular job.

I'm looking forward to our first read with some old friends.

message 26: by Debbie (new)

Elaine wrote: "Had to triple check to make sure I hadn't already introduced myself! :O

Hi, I'm Elaine, I was a member of the B&N bookclub and have continued to read with Deb through her blog. I think this v..."

HI Elaine yours and all the support from my former B&Ners have meant so much to me

message 27: by Debbie (new)

Edie wrote: "Hi, I'm Edie, a former member of the now defunct general fiction forum (I love the name of this club, Debbie!) I'm a retired English teacher/Libral Arts Magnet Program Director. I sew, read, dabb..."

Edie, Woot Woot!! welcome to the forum girlfriend and I'm so happy you're here :) can't wait to get started

message 28: by Susan (new)

Susan (susanstokes) | 6 comments Hi...I'm Susan aka VermontCozy Expat of BN..Glad to Meet All... Except Other BN Expats Whom I know... Great Idea Deb ;) I Just Finished "Find Her,Keep Her" A Martha's Vineyard Love Story" I read it BC I love Martha's Vineyard and was Mildly Romantic... More About Relationships,Great Women's Novel and quite Sexy;) VG Writer..On to "Carpe Demon" Julie Kenner..See You All Soon,Susan...

message 29: by Debbie (new)

Susan wrote: "Hi...I'm Susan aka VermontCozy Expat of BN..Glad to Meet All... Except Other BN Expats Whom I know... Great Idea Deb ;) I Just Finished "Find Her,Keep Her" A Martha's Vineyard Love Story" I read it..."

Hey Suze, Hi welcome girlfriend. Thanks for sharing your reading choices I love Martha's Vineyard stories too! So your love of women's fiction should be great for our July read :)
So glad you're here!!

message 30: by Karen (new)

Karen Laird (shadetreebookreviews) | 228 comments Welcome to all my old friends and new acquaintences. Deb is the best at keeping this place rocking with interwstinting topics and conversation about out favorite fictional books, authors and characters. I an so excités to ses things up and rolling again.

message 31: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (Becksinhb) | 14 comments Hi All, I've been searching for a Monthly read-along group. I'm interested in new fiction. Am I at the right please?
Rebecca

message 32: by Debbie (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Hi All, I've been searching for a Monthly read-along group. I'm interested in new fiction. Am I at the right please?
Rebecca"

Hi Rebecca you are! Welcome!
I'm not sure it will be monthly but it will definitely be a month long read along when it does happen.
In July we will be reading Random Acts of Kindness
Lisa Verge Higgins will also be there with us to chat, answer questions or whatever you'd like to know.
Here is the link to the information thread-https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
There you will find all the information you need including the reading schedule and when we'll begin
Yay thanks for finding us :)

message 33: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1678 comments Hi Welcome Rebecca!! The club has a book club read coming up in July!!

message 34: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (Becksinhb) | 14 comments Great! I'll get the book this weekend. I'm in the middle of reading "Orphan Train". I love historical fiction. I'll be ready for "Randon Acts of Kindness" in July. Have a good weekend!

message 35: by Debbie (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Great! I'll get the book this weekend. I'm in the middle of reading "Orphan Train". I love historical fiction. I'll be ready for "Randon Acts of Kindness" in July. Have a good weekend!"

Great to have you join us. I have another member reading orphan train check out the what are you reading thread

message 36: by Debbie (new)

Susan wrote: "Welcome Rebecca, If you like Orphan Train, read Sweet Water be the same author. I have read Sweet Water but have Orphan Train on my to read list."

Thanks Susan for the warm welcome and suggestion to our newbie!

message 37: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (Becksinhb) | 14 comments Thanks Susan and Rebecca. I think Orphan Train offers many levels for conversation. I'll add Sweet Water to my list.
I love that you guys are an active group. This could be fun........

message 38: by Debbie (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Thanks Susan and Rebecca. I think Orphan Train offers many levels for conversation. I'll add Sweet Water to my list.
I love that you guys are an active group. This could be fun........"

Thanks for the compliment Rebecca. I hope we keep it just as active. Most of us are from a now defunct Barnes&Noble on-line forum called The General fiction forum hence the group name. I moderated the group for a number of years before B&N decided to go in another direction. I also have a book blog which I post to most days but I wanted something more member friendly so here we are.
Thanks for joining and be sure to check out all the other threads in the group. :)

message 39: by Debbie (new)

Susan wrote: "Rebecca, since you have read Orphan Train, and think it would make for a great discussion. You could go to nominations for the bookclub read thread and put it up for our next read."

Oh that's a great idea Susan :)

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Thanks Susan and Rebecca. I think Orphan Train offers many levels for conversation. I'll add Sweet Water to my list.

Welcome aboard, Rebecca! I am looking forward to our July book read. I also recently read Sweet Water and would like to read Orphan Train. I agree with Susan that maybe we could read and discuss it here!

message 41: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1678 comments Think I need to read Orphan Train, that way I can be in on the discussions. It sounds like an interesting read!!

message 42: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (Becksinhb) | 14 comments I'm still on the GR learning curve. Forgive me if I get lost amount the threads.

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm still learning too, so you're definitely not alone.

message 44: by Debbie (new)

There is no need for sorries or worries here at General Fiction, we're all on the GR learning curve so we'll become experts together and then we'll be the expert expats ;)
xoxo

message 45: by Ang from OZ (new)

Ang from OZ | 1678 comments Rebecca, don't worry. We will all stumble through together!!

message 46: by April (new)

April (april_h) | 159 comments Rebecca wrote: "Thanks Susan and Rebecca. I think Orphan Train offers many levels for conversation. I'll add Sweet Water to my list.

Hi Rebecca! Welcome to the group! I'm reading "Orphan Train" too and am loving it. I agree with you that it would make a great choice to read as a group. See you in July for our first book club read.

message 47: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (Becksinhb) | 14 comments Thanks April! I need to get to the library tomorrow and save a copy of Random Acts :)

message 48: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (Becksinhb) | 14 comments April,
I forgot to ask, whats your doggies name?
Very sweet face...

message 49: by April (new)

April (april_h) | 159 comments Rebecca wrote: "April,
Very sweet face..."

Thanks! That's Sammy. He was one of the sweetest dogs ever. We lost him five years ago, but when I first started here at Goodreads he was still alive and I love this picture so much I kept it as my avatar. It always makes me smile. The dog we have now is Barney and he is a five-year-old ball of energy. He's a sweetie and the kids love playing with him.

message 50: by Debbie (new)

April wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "April,
Very sweet face..."

Thanks! That's Sammy. He was one of the sweetest dogs ever. We lost him five years ago, but when I first star..."

What a nice Tribute to Sammy April :)

« previous 1 3 4