I'm Trying to Get a Book Published! discussion

Query letters > Questions about query letters?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Any questions about how to write a query letter?

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ It depends on what an agent wants. Some of them specifically ask for a comparison. Usually I'll compare my book to a couple other books, but it's also important to say why you're book is different from other books. The agent won't want to represent the book if it's a book that's already been written! haha.

message 3: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Lyssa wrote: "How many chapters should you include with your query letter?"

It varies ... usually the agent says specifically how many chapters he/she wants with the query. Usually it's like 1-5 chapters, not more than that.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Sometimes the Agent doesn't even want chapters to come with it. They just want the query.

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Yeah, sometimes.

message 6: by Kevis (new)

Kevis Hendrickson (kevishendrickson) | 190 comments You should always research the agent you want to submit your book to. Some literary agencies have more than one agent and you don't want to make the mistake of submitting your book to the wrong agent. You also have to make certain that you follow the submission requirements closely. If the agent requires that you send only the first 3 chapters of your book, you should never send more. Professionalism will take you far in the business. But you can't represent yourself as a professional if you don't do the research. Remember, knowledge is power.

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Thanks for the advice! :)

message 8: by Caitlan (new)

Caitlan (lionesserampant) there might be one in word templates

message 9: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Omg agentquery.com is VERY useful. I found the advice on queries extremely helpful. :)