Audiobooks discussion

Archives > Anyone else miss the "hover" over book image giving you summary

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Looks like recently Audible has made a change so when viewing from a desktop web browser hovering over the book image when a list of books appears no longer displays the information in a dynamic rectangle which appears over top of the page your on.

I've seen two different behaviors. In my wishlist the images will show a Quick View option when hovering over it and clicking that will put up most (maybe all) of the same info in a lightbox like way but now you have to hover, move to the specific spot where Quick View is shown and click so it is much more effort, and it takes much longer to load the content. Then to get rid of it you have to click somewhere else or hit Esc or click the Close button. All of which is way less convenient for me than the way it used to be.

On other lists, like my library and the 100 books in the self improvement sale, the quick view doesn't show when you hover so you have to actually click which leaves the listing page to load the single book page.

I REALLY want it back to the way it was before. But if it has to stay this way at least the Quick View ought to be available in ALL lists that show book images like the hover always was.

message 2: by HJ (new)

HJ This has been driving me crazy! I hadn't realised that it was a deliberate change, so I've been hovering over everything I could get near and wondering why I couldn't get the summary to appear.

Audible -- if this is a deliberate change it is definitely retrograde. It is also counter-productive from your point of view; in the past, if I wasn't sure what a book was I would check the summary and might be tempted by a book I didn't know. Now, since I couldn't get the summary, I just moved on to a book I already knew. I HATE clicking and then having to go backwards, and I avoid it when I can. (I doubt I'm alone in this.)

So there will be fewer impulse purchases. Cannot see why anyone thought that removing a feature was a good thing.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 465 comments I do on my laptop. I don't on a touch device :)

message 4: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 231 comments I also hate the removal of the hover feature. It will probaly cause me to do less buying because it will be more trouble to see what the books are about. If I could glance right quick at a book I'd never heard of before and see that it had a favorite narrator or something then I would add it to my wish list. Now I'll probably pass books like that by.

I think a lot of the changes seem to be to help people using touch screens and they don't care that much if you're still primarily using a PC and mouse.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan (suze0501) | 37 comments I still seem to have this facility - on my laptop anyway - haven't checked on the tablet. Absolutely agree with everything that's been said - the hover facility is brilliant - and the only thing it'll do is cost Audible custom - because like you, Angie, the impulse buy is often the result of the hover function. I'm just hoping it doesn't disappear any time soon.

It's something I'd love to see introduced on Amazon for Kindle.

I'm on the UK Audible site BTW.

message 6: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments We were discussing this in another thread, and I will add my comments here as well. I really dislike this change to the website. With the hover feature, I could see at a glance whether or not I was interested enough to click on the link. Now, I have to click on the quick view, then on the link.

Some of the book covers are small and the title isn't legible. With the hover feature, I can quickly see the title. Now, I have to click, and wait for the little circle thingy to clear once the quick view has loaded, just to see a title.

The other thing is that the series page has been stripped of anything useful (like who the narrator is), "to make room for the quick view feature".

message 7: by Kristie (new)

Kristie | 2212 comments I'm guessing Quick View has replaced the hover feature to cater to tablet users. I do not use a tablet for Audible, so it's annoying. It makes me chuckle at myself a little bit that I'm so aggravated about the extra clicks I have to do...am I so lazy that I can't handle a few extra mouse clicks? But alas, lazy or not, I am in the "aggraved" camp with many of you, it seems.

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 68 comments Yes! Especially since I can not search through "My Library" Going from a book in my library to the main page and then back to do a page by page to the next one is a big PITA.

message 9: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie | 1951 comments YES!! Please audible bring it back!

message 10: by CatBookMom (new)

CatBookMom | 995 comments I still have the hover feature showing up for the Wish List, but not for my Library. I have over 600 books in my Library, and I can't remember the details of all of them; I want the hover feature back for Library, and elsewhere!

message 11: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 231 comments I had sent an email to Audible right after the hover feature disappeared for me. I just got this email from them.

Although we’re sorry to hear you don’t like the new Quick View feature, we do appreciate your feedback. Our goal for this change is to make it easier for you to see all of a book’s key information at-a-glance. While the old hover had many of these details, Quick View also lets you play a sample, buy a book, or add it to your Wish List – all without leaving the page you’re browsing. In addition, the Quick View of books recommended just for you allows you to fine-tune those recommendations – one of the top customer requests we’ve heard this year. Of course, there are more improvements to come to the Audible experience, and we really do appreciate hearing your thoughts on these changes so that we can consider them for future enhancements.

message 12: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Janice wrote: "We were discussing this in another thread, and I will add my comments here as well. I really dislike this change to the website. With the hover feature, I could see at a glance whether or not I w..."

Hi Janice ... can you point me to the other thread?

message 13: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments Javasapien - I think the discussion started at about message 818:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 14: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Janice wrote: "Javasapien - I think the discussion started at about message 818:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Thanks Janice!

message 15: by HJ (last edited May 01, 2014 12:29AM) (new)

HJ I think I have seen one, or maybe two, comments on both these threads which support the changes compared with numerous ones which don't.

Audible -- are you considering reinstating hover? There have been a variety of scenarios described in which your users found it very useful and deplore its loss. Please note that these are your experienced and faithful customers commenting here!

message 16: by Javasapien (last edited May 01, 2014 09:10PM) (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Hj wrote: "I think I have seen one, or maybe two, comments on both these threads which support the changes compared with numerous ones which don't.

Audible -- are you considering reinstating hover? There have been a variety of scenarios described in which your users found it very useful and deplore its loss. Please note that these are your experienced and faithful customers commenting here..."

Well said Hj!

message 17: by Niki (new)

Niki Rogers (nikireads) | 10 comments I really loved this feature of Audible and hate that it is gone now. This loss makes Audible much less enjoyable for me.

message 18: by Valyssia (new)

Valyssia Leigh | 116 comments Yeah, I wasn't impressed by that change either. I found the hover function very useful. It'd be nice if the human desire to improve things actually only went to real improvements. So often perceived improvements are really steps backward.

message 19: by Valyssia (new)

Valyssia Leigh | 116 comments Angie wrote: "I had sent an email to Audible right after the hover feature disappeared for me. I just got this email from them.

Although we’re sorry to hear you don’t like the new Quick View feature, we do app..."

That seems counter-intuitive to me. I thought that the nature of a 'quick view' was to give the shopper a simple overview that would give them a sense of whether they might like to know more about the product. That to me would include a brief description and perhaps some idea of what other customers thought in the form of a star rating, which was exactly what they had.

message 20: by Tjo (new)

Tjo | 56 comments For me, at least right now, the hover feature still exists (or has come back, not sure). I think I saw the Quick View option one day this week when I briefly logged in, but right now, hover seems to be active wherever I go and there is no sign of Quick View.

I sincerely appreciate the hover feature and sincerely hope I don't lose it. Maybe it is coming back for everyone?

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 231 comments I lost the hover feature on Firefox, but switched over to Internet Explorer and still have it, so I'm using that browser for Audible as long as possible.

message 22: by Javasapien (last edited May 03, 2014 09:11PM) (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Valyssia wrote: "That seems counter-intuitive to me. I thought that the nature of a 'quick view' was to give the shopper a simple overview that would give them a sense of whether they might like to know more about the product. That to me would include a brief description and perhaps some idea of what other customers thought in the form of a star rating, which was exactly what they had. ..."

Exactly. I agree. The other stuff they now have in the "Quick View" could just be in the detailed individual page.

message 23: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 465 comments The benefit though (as opposed to going to the individual page) is that you don't lose the context of the search or whatever that you were on, or open the page in a new tab so as not to lose your search.

I'm not saying I like it or don't like it. Maybe once it is actually working properly EVERYWHERE I'll be able to assess it. At the moment though it is in some places and not others (like series view, wish list, library etc).

My main objection to the change is the effort they are spending on rubbish that users don't actually care about, when basic stuff like half decent wish list management is just ignored. Like why are they deciding to do stuff users don't care ANYTHING about, when wishlist management is so damn awful?

message 24: by HJ (new)

HJ Michael wrote: "My main objection to the change is the effort they are spending on rubbish that users don't actually care about, when basic stuff like half decent wish list management is just ignored. Like why are they deciding to do stuff users don't care ANYTHING about, when wishlist management is so damn awful?.."

This is so true! Wish list management, and the ability to sort by price low to high, are features which have been consistently requested (not to say demanded) from the start and which would really improve the customer's experience. They would also increase sales!

message 25: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 465 comments I can bet they have had hundreds asking for wish list management. Including me... I'd nearly wager that absolutely zero customers wrote in and asked for that "quick" view. Hell, as a user, I can't even think how I'd word it as a user request. "I want a version of quick view that you have to click to see, and have lots and lots of features on it, even more than the actual product page, like " not interested ""

message 26: by Janice (last edited May 05, 2014 08:20AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments I suspect that since Audible was purchased by Amazon, their focus has become to push recommendations. The quick link was devised to give you the ability to personalize your recommendations. When I filled out their form to give my feedback for the new quick link, just about every question was about recommendations. Many of my answers were, "I'm tired of having recommendations rammed down my throat". When I realized how many times I answered with that statement, it became clear to me what this was all about.

message 27: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 316 comments I used to visit Audible daily for the fun of browsing. The new form blasts at me, so I seldom visit unless ready to buy something already on my wish list. I occasionally look up a book or author then quickly go away.

message 28: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 465 comments Janice wrote: "I suspect that since Audible was purchased by Amazon, their focus has become to push recommendations. The quick link was devised to give you the ability to personalize your recommendations. When ..."

Hah, yes, probably.They missed the mark though, Audible, as 95% of their "recommendations" are on my wishlist. So that is a no-brainer...

message 29: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments This article might be instructive regarding what happens when Amazon purchases a company:

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/3/5675984/h...

Who knows how much of what appears on Audible.com is a result of Amazon's gorilla management style. Goodreads beware.

And we get it now. A lot of you really, really hate the disappearance of the hover feature. Personally I'm pretty neutral about it.

message 30: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments Sandra wrote: "And we get it now. A lot of you really, really hate the disappearance of the hover feature. Personally I'm pretty neutral about it."

But does Audible get it? While I'm not the OP, I would imagine the whole intent of this particular thread was to give people a place to vent their frustration and hopefully give a message to Audible. We do know that they have a rep following these threads.

message 31: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 465 comments Just write in with your suggestions, and post here. Maybe one day, we'll be able to at least search our wishlists (like the parent company, Amazon) and have multiple wish lists (like the parent company, Amazon).

Maybe one day they will implement something the customers are asking for. Don't give up yet!

message 32: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (sleo) | 575 comments Janice wrote: "Sandra wrote: "And we get it now. A lot of you really, really hate the disappearance of the hover feature. Personally I'm pretty neutral about it."

But does Audible get it? While I'm not the OP..."

Apparently you didn't read the article I posted. It's about a company Amazon bought and then ruined. Once Amazon butts in, the original company has little to say about how things are done.

message 33: by Janice (last edited May 06, 2014 07:29AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments I did read the article.

Amazon.ca had the Daily Kindle Deals on the front page of the Kindle Store until they recently decided to take them off the page and provide them in a daily email to which you had to subscribe. I complied, but the emails didn't come. I emailed and asked if they could restore the daily deals to the website to which they basically replied, "No". My response was, "I guess I won't be buying any more daily deals from Amazon. Apple & Kobo will benefit from your poor customer service." Within a week, the daily deals were back on the page. I can only surmise that enough people complained to make them rethink their decision.

message 34: by Javasapien (new)

Javasapien | 272 comments Yesterday I got a response to my giving feedback on the site to audible. It was the exact same verbage Angie already posted above.

But, tonight in both firefox and chrome I noticed the hover is back exactly as it was before. And I can't even find the "quick view" thing. I hope it isn't just a fluke and will be gone again tomorrow. I hope they've heard the complaints and listened to their users! Anyone else notice the hovers being back?

message 35: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments I still have the quick view thing in Explorer, but the hover in Firefox.

message 36: by Angie (new)

Angie (angiemb) | 231 comments Someone from Audible posted in this thread and the Other Issues thread about bringing the hover feature back while they work on the quick view because so many people had wanted it back. They have deleted both the messages. I don't know what that means. The hover feature is back in my account on Firefox now. The message sounded like they would give us back the hover feature while they make the quick view something that everyone would be happy with. That was my impression anyway.

message 37: by Michael (new)

Michael (mobe1969) | 465 comments BTW, I was actually wrong about the new quick view would probably be better with touch devices. As the new quick view doesn't actually show until a mouse hovers over it, it is more or less inaccessible on a touch device.

message 38: by HJ (new)

HJ Angie wrote: "Someone from Audible posted in this thread and the Other Issues thread about bringing the hover feature back while they work on the quick view because so many people had wanted it back. They have ..."

If they're the same messages I saw, they didn't specifically refer to the hover feature or say it would be returned but did say that they were making changes in response to user feedback.

message 39: by Janice (last edited May 08, 2014 08:19AM) (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments I have to admit that I am getting used to the quick view. My main concern with it was that I had to wait for the little round wheel to spin to load it, so it wasn't instantaneous. If they speed that process up, it will be a vast improvement.

message 40: by Niki (new)

Niki Rogers (nikireads) | 10 comments Well it looks like hover is working again. Thank goodness. I love it

message 41: by Janice (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 950 comments For the last two days, I've had the hoover feature back. Yay!

message 42: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 68 comments Hover working on Chrome for me but search library still not working 5/22/14

message 43: by Blue (new)

Blue | 1 comments I've figured out why Amazon doesn't allow the hover feature: Amazon wants you to click on what you're interested in, because it tracks what you click on but can't do that with the hover feature. Amazon also doesn't have a hover feature for its prime movies and TV shows, and I've complained before about how NOT user-friendly and cumbersome it is. And then I finally figured it out: Amazon wants to know what you are most interested in to sell you other things like it and can only track that if you actually click on items (even if the only reason you are clicking on it is because there is no hover feature so you don't have a clue what the book or movie is about).

message 44: by Georgia (new)

Georgia | 14 comments Yes I sure miss it, now I just don't click on any of the titles that might catch my interest. I'm becoming more dissatisfied with Audible since Amazon acquired it; will most likely cancel my membership very soon.

message 45: by Marilee (new)

Marilee (hatchling) | 97 comments Hover seems to be working for me. I'm using a MAC desktop with Safari browser.

It appears that Audible has re-instated the feature. At least I'm seeing ratings, basic information such as author, narrator, recording length, a synopsis… it's enough for me.

All is right with the world. Ha!