All About Animals discussion

Romancing the Dog: The Struggle to Make a Pound Dog Happy in Beverly Hills
This topic is about Romancing the Dog
Past Group Book Discussions: > Romancing the Dog: The Struggle to Make a Pound Dog Happy in Beverly Hills

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 1257 comments Mod
Book pick for May 2014 - Discuss it here:

message 2: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Anyone start reading this book yet? I'm hoping to start reading it soon when I'm done with the other one.

CindySR (neyankee) I wonder why her husband was such a jerk at first, just because the dog wasn't a poodle? She hasn't explained that yet.

CindySR (neyankee) I'm a little more than halfway through the story and now I see Chips was bonded more to Marion than Sam. Was this because Sam wasn't keen on the dog at first or did Sam see an instant bond between Marion and Chips and hold back from trying to win Chips over from the start?

I'm giving the book a new title: How Rich Couples Turn Their Pets Into Children

message 5: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Cindy, do you like this one or is it so so? Does the rich treat their pets better than the avg. person? I think some of us who are middle class and even low income treat our animals well. I know I do. I love all animals.

CindySR (neyankee) It's a so-so story for me. I don't see anything super special about the relationships, lots of families have the same experiences with their rescue pets, I'm sure.

As for rich vs. poorer pet parents, yes, there might be a difference in how much money can go into saving an animal's life. I just finished the section where Chips had to have an MRI and surgery to mend his shattered disc (damned teeth cleaners!). I could have never saved him after that, I would have had to say goodbye due to no money for such a surgery :(

message 7: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Cindy, your so right about how much you would be able to take care of pet with the money situation. I didn't even think about that aspect of it.

Has anyone ever gotten the pet insurance? I've thought about it several times but never had cause I don't know much about it.

CindySR (neyankee) I've read that it is a good idea, but to get the best prices you have to insure the pet when it is still under a year old.

CindySR (neyankee) I finished the book last night and left a short review.

message 10: by Skye (new)

Skye | 193 comments A few years ago, I looked into pet insurance. I compared the three levels of protection that one company offered and found that the most basic level was the best value.
Of course, those who think pet insurance is a great deal are those who have it and used it for a huge operation/illness or those who don't have it and had to pay out a huge sum of money for their animal and therefore wished they had had it. We don't know how many have it who have never used it.

message 11: by G.A. (new)

G.A. Whitmore | 7 comments Just joined the group today. I plan to purchase and start reading the Kindle version tonight.

message 12: by Barbara, Founder and Moderator (new)

Welcome