Horror Aficionados discussion

Group Reads > May 2014 Group Read: The Ritual by Adam Nevill

Comments Showing 1-50 of 134 (134 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Ms. Nikki (new)

Ms. Nikki (miznikki) | 13944 comments The Ritual won for the month of May.

Please be sure to use spoiler tags when necessary.

Discuss and enjoy~

message 2: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1099 comments Starting tonight, I have had this one for a long ass time now. I had to break the old kindle out and do some digging for it.

message 3: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments I read this already but I look forward to following this thread. I had a weird love/hate relationship with this book.

message 4: by K4tie (new)

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments Suhweet, a book that causes an internal struggle. I love books that make me want to throw them off a cliff, but I just have to finish this page first...

message 5: by Eliot (new)

Eliot Baker | 25 comments I'm excited to read this. Glad it was chosen.

message 6: by 11811 (Eleven) (new)

11811 (Eleven) (11811) | 1561 comments K4tie wrote: "Suhweet, a book that causes an internal struggle. I love books that make me want to throw them off a cliff, but I just have to finish this page first..."

Yeah you may eventually throw it against a wall only to pick it up again and continue reading.

message 7: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 219 comments Can't wait can't wait can't wait

message 8: by Jason (new)

Jason Nickey (kicubby83) | 23 comments you guys will love it! I read it in January. Read the first half in one sitting. It was so creepy I couldn't stop lol

message 9: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments Really looking forward to reading this!

message 10: by Micky Blue Skies (new)

Micky Blue Skies | 22 comments Looking forward to this.

(shan) Littlebookcove (littlebookcove) | 137 comments picking this up and "the troop". I can't wait as I think ritual is going to be an intense read.

message 12: by Zinge (new)

Zinge | 1 comments I've heard good things about this one. Looking forward to starting it with the group.

message 13: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 573 comments Put a hold on it with our local library. Shouldn't have to wait too long for it.

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (brandiec) | 229 comments I'm about a third of the way through, and it's starting to drag for me. Maybe I'm a little burned out on the whole "survive in the cold while something's after us" plot after our January group read, Snowblind. I'm hoping it will pick up again soon.

message 15: by Jason (new)

Jason Nickey (kicubby83) | 23 comments Deborah wrote: "I'm about a third of the way through, and it's starting to drag for me. Maybe I'm a little burned out on the whole "survive in the cold while something's after us" plot after our January group rea..."

It will. The ending is awesome! I felt the same way when I read it, It slows down a bit, but picks back up.

message 16: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 883 comments Jason wrote: "Deborah wrote: "I'm about a third of the way through, and it's starting to drag for me. Maybe I'm a little burned out on the whole "survive in the cold while something's after us" plot after our J..."

Ah, for a lovely hike through the woods with some seriously out of shape friends. Who am I kidding? I would be one of the out of shape friends. But at least I know enough to wear the correct clothes, boots and socks...

message 17: by Jason (new)

Jason Nickey (kicubby83) | 23 comments So, I'm curious...

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments Book order came in today! Yay! I'll get started as soon as it gets dark outside. :)

message 19: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments So, has anyone ever been lost in the woods?

I had a scary experience at 17 in the Gatineau hills near Ottawa. We thought we were too cool to stay on the trail. Got completely lost and ended up having to sit and slide our way down, an inch at a time for fear of falling, in the dark.

I'm only a few pages in and I'm already sensing the panic.

message 20: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I just got this and will be joining in, but I need to finish House of Leaves first...

message 21: by Jason (new)

Jason Nickey (kicubby83) | 23 comments Marc-Antoine wrote: "I just got this and will be joining in, but I need to finish House of Leaves first..."

Such an amazing novel. It's my favorite.

message 22: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Kirstin wrote: "So, has anyone ever been lost in the woods?

I had a scary experience at 17 in the Gatineau hills near Ottawa. We thought we were too cool to stay on the trail. Got completely lost and ended up ha..."

My family and I are always hanging out there!

message 23: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Jason wrote: "Marc-Antoine wrote: "I just got this and will be joining in, but I need to finish House of Leaves first..."

Such an amazing novel. It's my favorite."

House of Leaves or The Ritual?

message 24: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments Same here! This was at Luskville Falls but not on the trail. My daughter and I just hiked there last fall. Love the Gatineaus!

message 25: by Jason (new)

Jason Nickey (kicubby83) | 23 comments Marc-Antoine wrote: "Jason wrote: "Marc-Antoine wrote: "I just got this and will be joining in, but I need to finish House of Leaves first..."

House of Leaves or The Ritual?"

House Of Leaves. The Ritual was awesome too though.

message 26: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Especially in autumn!

message 27: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments I'm about a third of the way (view spoiler)

Enjoying it so far.

message 28: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Jason wrote: "Marc-Antoine wrote: "Jason wrote: "Marc-Antoine wrote: "I just got this and will be joining in, but I need to finish House of Leaves first..."

House of L..."

I'm really enjoying it so far, I'm getting as disoriented as the characters....

message 29: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany King (tifking73) | 80 comments I'm so in; this book looks amazing!

message 30: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 219 comments Glad I read The Willows just before reading this as it prepared me for such another intense atmospheric read.

Beginning South of Heaven...can't believe (view spoiler).

message 31: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 10683 comments Mod
Thanks so much to Katie(K4tie) I'm now reading this too. I'm on chapter 11. I like the short chapters. My first thoughts are: a 3 day hiking trip and no compass? And my 2nd thought is: omg, this book is going to scare me to death!

message 32: by Latasha (new)

Ok they do have a compass! Thats good. Guess I over read it or something.

message 33: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments Beginning South of Heaven...can't believe [spoilers removed]."

I bet he wishes (view spoiler)

message 34: by Katy (new)

Katy Mann | 883 comments Latasha wrote: "Thanks so much to Katie(K4tie) I'm now reading this too. I'm on chapter 11. I like the short chapters. My first thoughts are: a 3 day hiking trip and no compass? And my 2nd thought is: omg, this bo..."

It didn't take long to start shredding the fellowship of this group. It is hard, realizing that the people you've thought you were friends, from some earlier time when being friends was easy, like in college, have drifted away.

I'm 27% in, and they've (view spoiler)

message 35: by Cathie (last edited May 07, 2014 10:45AM) (new)

Cathie (cathiebp2) | 219 comments Kirstin wrote: I bet he wishes [spoilers removed]"

I feel (view spoiler). The ending I wasn't disappointed with.

message 36: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments Jason wrote: "So, I'm curious...

[spoilers removed]"

I don't think I would have made the connection either. I did look at your spoiler so as soon as (view spoiler) I loved the ending too.

message 37: by Julia (new)

Julia (readingover50) | 23 comments I just download the book yesterday. Looking forward to reading it.

message 38: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments On chapter 11 right now and this book is seriously creepy. I'm with Luke, after being lost on the woods for a few days I wouldn't be ok with going into some house in the middle of nowhere. It may seem like an answer to a prayer but its not!!! BEWARE! It didn't end well for Hansel and Gretel!! Well ok maybe it did. But there was a lesson to be learned!!

message 39: by Justin (new)

Justin (justineaton) | 1099 comments I'm at about 50% so far I love it.

message 40: by Latasha (new)

I agree Missy! By that point in the book I was worried about having nightmares!

message 41: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments Latasha wrote: "I agree Missy! By that point in the book I was worried about having nightmares!"

lol me too! I couldn't sleep last night

message 42: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments I finished House of Leaves last night and it blew my mind! I'm starting this one tonight, but it's following a tough act.

message 43: by Marc-Antoine (new)

Marc-Antoine | 2888 comments Have we not learned anything from little red riding hood? Noooooo, don't take the shortcut through the woods'!!!!!!!!

message 44: by Missy (new)

Missy | 199 comments Or goldilocks?

message 45: by Latasha (new)

Or not go in the woods at all?! Jason, the Blair witch, wrong turn, etc,etc!!

message 46: by Wayne's (new)

Wayne's (waynesworld) | 115 comments Or go without the vaguest level of fitness or personal preparation.

message 47: by Wayne's (new)

Wayne's (waynesworld) | 115 comments Or go without the vaguest level of fitness or personal preparation.

message 48: by K4tie (new)

K4tie (nonzombieleader) | 484 comments Hahaha "don't take the shortcut in the woods!" Touché, they sure bungled that one. :)

message 49: by Scott (new)

Scott (ttownscott) I read this book before and definitely liked the first half best. Katy I loved the part where they found the creepy church.

message 50: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin | 415 comments Looks like we have a movie to look forward to. Yay!!

Warning--There are some spoilers in the blog post!

http://adamlgnevill.blogspot.ca/2014/...

« previous 1 3