Between the Covers discussion

Chit Chat > To YA or not to YA

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia Evans | 51 comments Mod
I personally love YA books. In fact majority of books I get are YA. My question is if others also enjoy YA or if you have never ventured into the genre because it is geared towards a younger crowd?
Also, the primary reason I read YA is because I like the sub genres (supernatural, dystopian, paranormal, magic, etc.) that are very typical in YA. If I found these sub genres in adult nonfiction, I would definitely read them.
So what about you, do you read YA or stick to books geared for your age group?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Martinez Well after my last two YA I am now not very enthused about reading them!!

message 3: by Cynthia (new)

What were they? It stinks because YA is such a broad range. Sometimes I read one and it seems like it's geared more for middle schoolers. Others are high school aged. Some even seem older than that. Just a very broad genre to me.

message 4: by Angelique (new)

Angelique I'm definitely passed the YA age group, but I don't mind reading YA. But then, I don't mind reading childrens books either and as a kid I loved to read adult books. It totally depends on the story whether or not I like the book. I've read some pretty good YA books, but also some pretty bad ones.

I don't know who or what classifies a book as YA, but sometimes I think things went wrong somewhere. If a book is trying very hard to be a YA book, by having a young hero/heroine, but if that same main character has a maturity well beyond that of the average young adult, I don't like the book.

message 5: by Cynthia (new)

I agree with you Angelique, I think sometimes it is the age of the main character alone that defines if it is YA or not. Which is very misleading. I also can't stand when the main character is merely 15 years old but is handing a life altering situation with ease and grace. Just not realistic. One of my favorite series is Chaos Walking whose main character is 14. I love it is part because he really does act like a fourteen year old. However, going back through the reviews for the book now, some people hate that he is so immature and makes mistakes. Guess you just can't please everyone!